Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2013
What can I say about the master short story writer that has not already been said? I suppose I have to keep this individual. He changed the things I read and the way I think about the things I read.
on 29 November 2006
This is definitely an excellent collection of Carver's short stories, a must for every fan or first reader of carver's literature. Highly recommended indeed for purchase!
on 12 November 2013
This is the first time that I have read Carver and I am both impressed by the themes and content of his stories as well as the spare style in which they are written.
on 2 October 2015
A very good book - service/delivery was also prompt. Thanks,
on 2 February 2001
Raymond Carver was a master of the short story. You will have to go a long way to encounter anything quite so impressive as this collection. If I had a desert island book this would, quite simply, be it.
on 28 January 2016
Inevitably variable, but ALL are worth a read.
on 13 August 2015
I'd not read any of Raymond Carver's short stories before so was intrigued when I read another raving review (not on Amazon) of how good he was. I'm still partway through this book so it is unfair to comment too early at this stage. Suffice to say my personal thoughts to date is that he is an American author for an American audience. The style may not appeal to the reader with a more classic approach to English short story writing.
on 27 August 2014
Astonishing.
on 30 December 2012
Carver is a master. Stories which are quirky and easy to read. I would say easy enough to read before you go to
bed but you might have morbid dreams of unemployment, lost loves, and addiction. Or, a bout of insomnia.
Still, quite entertaining.
Well worth five stars, but not for me, personally.
on 22 March 2014
A gruelling but rewarding read.

Tales reflect blue collar suburban lifestyle of America. Sharp on dialogue but short on narrative. These are tales rather than short stories without a punch line to the ending. A fantastic read nonetheless.