Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 February 2004
This book is about a lion named Leo who didn't fit in with his pride, because he just wanted to look for love and make friends with other animals in the jungle. After he was forced to leave the pride of lions, Leo did his best to help every kind of animal in the jungle, but never asked for a thing. Eventually, he became the king of animals in a different way.
The lovely colorful cover of this book will catch your eye in the bookshop. The illustrations are animated and charming as if you were in tropical Africa. From the illustrations page by page, Leo's enthusiasm and kindness are obviously an important part of the whole story. And the most brilliant drawing is the one in which Leo's friends arrive at the bank and link themselves up tail to paw to rescue him. How smart this is!
However, in this book the thing which really moves me is the moral of the story. By means of the plot, Leo's unique way of thinking and his brave deeds deserve much praise. Although he didn't identify with his pride at first, he still knew what he really wanted. Most of the time we are taught that we are supposed to do something in a particular way. If you can't get your own convictions accepted, you will follow common concepts to live your life. Nevertheless, the ending of this book offers us a distinct way of thinking, showing us we can be what we want to be, and understand the most valuable gift in the world is love. As long as we can open our minds to accept the world, we will find much love, and we can make any dreams come true, even if they are achieved in a more difficult way.
This excellent book is worth reading as a bed-time story.
Mt daughters favourite book is Giraffes Can't Dance (Orchard Picturebooks) and this book was shown on the back cover, and she wanted it. It has not disappointed.

This is the story of a baby lion cub called Leo who does not want to kill animals, instead to love them for what they are. He is banished from the pride because of this. He sees 2 baby animals that the cheetahs are going to eat, and he rescues them by leading them to safety. He then nurses them back to heath. His mission is then to help any animal that needs help, no matter what they are. One day when helping an animal being swept down the river, he saves the animal from drowning but cant get out and is swept downstream to the waterfall. All the animals in the jungle come together to help Leo and pull him out the river. His family take him back because they realise that by helping others, he is a stronger lion.

A great story that is well written and beautifully drawn. This also has a great moral in that to be different and help people, and you will be rewarded by feeling good in yourself.
on 7 October 2009
I love this book and have given it as gifts to a number of children.

It tells the story of a lion cub who has no wish to fight and hunt other animals, but instead just wants to love them and be friends with them. His mother is worried that Leo will never survive in the wild if he does not learn to hunt for his food. Because he doesn't want to harm other animals he is told to leave the pride and so he goes off on his own and proceeds to make friends and live with the other animals in the jungle. He takes care of them and rescues them when they get into difficulties. Eventually Leo, with the help of his jungle friends, saves a young cheetah that falls into a river, and all the othere lions agree that he is a very brave lion and asks him to become their king, because he has so much love in his heart.

A wonderful story of how love can overcome all difficulties. The illustrations are colourful, lively and endearing. A great story with a moral that eaches children the benefits of love.
on 16 August 2001
I love this book as much as my three year old son. The illustrations are beautiful and so colourful and the words and story are lovely.It also conveys a good message/philosophy. We were bought this as a gift and we now give it where we can.
on 19 July 2002
My 7 year old son introduced me to this story.
He produced it at bed time for me to read to my 4 children - 9, 7, and twins 5.
The poem was so fluid and easy to read. The moral story of Love and courage, shareing and careing was so beautifully told that i was quite moved by the end.
A delightful book to be read again and again by all ages!
on 19 June 2012
I first read the Lion Who Wanted to Love to my daughter when she was young she is now 16 and still loves this story - she now reads it to her little sister. It is about a little lion that doesn't want to kill, even though this is what is expected of him, instead, he turns his back on violence and instead embraces love of his fellow animals instead. He becomes part of the jungle community as a member, instead of a preditor and finds true happiness. In the end, he is saved by not only his new friends, but also by his mother who at last understands that there is more than one kind of bravery, and that perhaps it takes more strength and moral courage to stand up for your beliefs and to turn towards love and acceptance. I know this is 'just' a children's story, but every time I read it it moves me to tears. This book is the perfect antidote for our world that is torn apart by upheaval and war, perhaps more of us should stick up for our beliefs, and just love...
on 2 August 2010
This book should be as popular as the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe!!! :D. They're 2 very different books of course. The Lion Who Wanted to Love is a great book to teach children about caring and loving, even when others don't agree with you and even if it goes against your heritage or the values of the 'Pride'. It encourages the reader to implement a higher 'law of the Jungle' and the rewards that come when you reap what you sow (like the story about the Lion and the mouse - but with a nice new spin on it). The colours and wording are fantastic for children - bright and poetic. I bought this for a child who absolutely adores the story after reading it in the library and wanted his own personal copy so he can read it/have it read to him, whenever he liked. If you're vegetarian/vegan, you're more than likely to be a fan of this book too.
on 27 March 2009
After receiving home from my childs nursery 'the giraffe who could not dan
nce, it charmed and entertained us in equal measure. I immediately came on here to find out other titles from Giles Andreae. I was hoping for a fun book with educational lessons. It did not disappoint!
It is a fabulous introduction to teaching pre-school children wonderful lessons in social morality and humanity. This is a book which I love to read to my child. I believe entertainment value is important to both parent and child.
I recommend any book by this author!
on 29 July 1999
Another firm favourite of my 30 month old toddler's. Such a delightful rhyming story which is very easy to read and the illustrations are gorgeous. As my son loved it so much, I'm trying "Commotion in the Ocean" by the same author, which I'm sure will be just as good as this one!
on 29 June 2015
My son is obsessed with Lions and absolutely loved this book. The rhyming language throughout makes it even more enjoyable. brilliant book!