5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
I go to Simon's Church and brought this book ,because of the sermons he and the other leaders are giving around Sustainable Power. When reading the reviews about the book before it was published, it made me wonder if the book was just for church leaders, my thoughts were wrong, I found Sustainable Power to be a book for everyone.

For me this book is so...
Published 14 months ago by Jill Doyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and encouraging.......but...
The author has written a very honest account ,warts and all about his own personal journey and his desire to see the Kingdom of God impacting the community through signs and wonders and healing.
There is much encouragement in this book, especially for those who are seeking personal renewal and healthy church growth.
Many of the testimonies in these pages bear...
Published 5 months ago by I. DUNCAN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Paperback)

For me this book is so inspiring and empowering it made me rethink certain areas of my life. Simon uses his own experiences to get you to think about certain areas of life; repentance being one of them, but with a difference. Simon and the leaders of the church have used Sustainable Power topics to deliver sermons, for me the book gives me a reference for the sermons to go back to. Wow how inspiring and powerful these have been.

I found the book very easy to read, reading the first nine chapters the very first day I brought it. I feel this book, is one you will read over and over again, and I'm sure every time you will get something different out of it. This book is for anyone, regardless of where you are in your journey.

I brought my mum a copy and she got it today, she's already on page 69 and she told me ' it's exciting and she hasn't read a book like that in ages'. She hasn't been to the church yet, but has picked up how a loving church it is.

Simon is a gifted writer, I hope he writes another book soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and encouraging, 10 Jun 2013
Mr. Alan David Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Paperback)
This book is a must read for anyone hungry for more of God's power in their own and their community's life. It's written with the authority of someone who has lived and breathed everything he has written about and he is humble and authentic in sharing his story.

In amongst the themes of repenting of stumbling blocks to seeing God's power move, are stories of God touching ordinary lives in extraordinary ways - not in far flung parts of the world but in 21st century Britain. This book has inspired and encouraged me to pursue God and see him break out in the lives of people around me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Paperback)
This book is powerful! Written in the style that Simon lives - humble, funny, engaging and inspiring - I found it hard to put down. You'll find yourself moving from a place of being undone and your heart being exposed, to having your gaze lifted up and being freshly inspired, and then back round again!

This is not a theoretical book, but a real life story, and therefore it should be high on your list of "books to read". Be prepared for God to speak straight into your heart as you read through the chapters on "rocks of the heart", and be prepared to come out the other side changed and freer than when you started!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ for anyone but particularly Church Leaders, 10 Jun 2013
Andy Robinson "KCH" (South East, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Paperback)
I just loved this book. I was moved to repentance by this book. I am inspired by this book and am sure you will be too. I am convinced this is a word in season particularly for church leaders and churches.

I will put it on the MUST READ LIST for my church. If the church can grab hold of the content of this book and embrace the kingdom culture it embodies then we will truly see "Heaven Touching Earth".

I have quoted many references in this book on twitter using the hash tag #sustainablepower which I am delighted to see others now using too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and encouraging.......but..., 9 Mar 2014
I. DUNCAN - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Kindle Edition)
Many of the testimonies in these pages bear the gritty reality of brokeness and in many cases `breakthrough' as individuals come to acknowledge that God is real and that he is greater than their own situation and that he loves them.

But there were some things that worried me , especially some of the methodologies which were being worked with.
For instance the stories about `leg lengthening'. This is an old parlour trick that has been doing the rounds since at least the 1940's and has been debunked time and time again.
The fact that even Terry Virgo was doing this astounds me! Look up Ideomotor Effect.In fact if this was really the work of God ,it would mean that we have a God who is intensely interested in growing peoples legs but seems very reluctant to shrink tumours.Also the use of Kevin Dedman's `Treasure Hunt' method of receiving `words of knowledge' about people you have to go out and find using clues that you have been given by the Holy Spirit does seem more in line with New Age than New Covenant. Does God enjoy a game of Cluedo?

This is a very easy book to read and is hard to put down once you start. But I feel that at points the distinction between supernatural and superstition are blurred. Is a word of knowledge really to be equated with feeling a pain in my body which corresponds to another persons illness? This is known as clairsentience and is practiced in New Age thought. The author believes that Enlightenment rationalism has effected the church to the point that belief in the supernatural has almost disappeared, being ditched along with the old superstitions.
This has never been the case,not all Christians fell for Strauss or Bultmann.
To those who would seem to unwittingly hold this view in the church we are told a `paradigm shift' is required to repent of our unbelief and embrace a supernatural worldview.

This is where it gets blurred and we see superstition coming in through the back door. The belief in Ancestral Curses and Territorial Spirits are a case in point, being imported from African Animism through Charismatic missiologists. And more recently the fad for giving `spiritual readings and tattoo interpretation' is permeating the church.( I kid ye not!) Taken directly from the cold reading antics of Psychic Sally.

So yes, I am impressed by much of what I read in this book and especially by candid account of the authors testimony. But when the Kingdom of God is on the move how will the world know? Will they see that it is the work of God, or will they just think the circus is in town? The church is a supernatural community but we should be aware of the danger of drifting into the next latest thing and mistaking it for the work of God. We need discernment not just pragmatism.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait to get started!, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Paperback)
Despite having full bookshelves which would suggest otherwise, there haven't been many Christian books that I have read all the way through. But this book kept me riveted right to the closing pages.

It's so practical, accessible, routed in the authority of the Bible, and in the honest on-the-ground experience of Holley and his church family in Bedford.

I LOVED that it told the story of a faith community in the UK, and not in an incomparable US mega church. These are ordinary guys, in an ordinary church, in an ordinary town, longing to experience more of God's kingdom and taking time to grow together and to change the culture of their church family to expect that God's power will be a reality in their midst. I LOVED the many, many stories of healings interspersed in the chapters and found them moving, faith building and inspiring. I found the stories of tentative first steps, and the willingness to step out in baby-sized faith, risking failure, not hedging their bets with bland, disappointment-expecting prayers, to be challenging, and inside I could feel a growing sense of, 'we could do this too!'

The teaching is really accessible, and very transferrable to different church denominations, and the chapters lend themselves nicely to devising a sermon series.

The book leaves you with a warm glow, and a vision for what could be. It neither overwhelms nor intimidates, rather it tells a story of their church, and makes you believe that it really could be the story of your own church.

I completely recommend it, especially to church leaders.

One closing word of minor frustration: Authentic media, the book, sadly, contains more than a handful of editing errors. It would be great if subsequent editions of the book could rectify this.

5.0 out of 5 stars empowering the body, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Kindle Edition)
An honest and inspiring look at how God's people can learn and grow in understanding the life of the Spirit for the whole of their lives. Very inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars I heard God through this book......., 18 July 2013
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Paperback)
I am so grateful for all that I have gained from reading and taking on board the Kingdom gems that are so well highlighted in 'Sustainable Power'. Simon writes clearly and concisly from his own experiences. The book helped me to see, and start to understand, those blockages that so often hold us back from moving into the fullness of all that God has for us.

Simon uses testomany and scriptures to support a very simple theology that I believe will make a difference in my life. I highly recommend this book for all those who, like me, are hungry to move into the fullness of all the God has for them. If you are in Christian leadership then I would have to recommend that you read this book.... Be warned, it will challenge you! I have bought a copy for my Pastor...........

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing read, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Kindle Edition)
Simon humbly and excellently communicates the journey he and his home church have been on. Sustainable Power is informative, practical, insightful, inspiring, engaging, challenging and can be enjoyed by all. Simon opens the door to live differently as a church and as an individual the question any reader faces at the end is will we?

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly accessible and faith building, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sustainable Power (Paperback)
In this remarkable book, Simon demonstrates some of the qualities that mark out his leadership; authenticity, courage, honour, humility and faith... If you want to read a book of how Christians can live out a supernatural faith and transform their churches without blowing them up, this book is for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sustainable Power
Sustainable Power by Simon Holley (Paperback - 1 Jun 2013)
7.99