5.0 out of 5 stars A classic masterpiece with traditional narrative sparkle and modern innovations, 18 Oct 2008
I have read all of G.P.Taylor's classic books. As is usually the case, the last one I read is my favourite, in this case the opening book of the Dopple Ganger series. My daughter and I enjoyed every single page of this unique and exciting page turner! We can't wait to read the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars For boys who do not like reading, 10 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
My son, aged 12, not your avid reader LOVED this book and has asked when the sequel will be out... This book is thoughtful, imaginative and modern. Everyone should have a copy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Escape, 13 April 2009
My 13 yr old lad isn't keen on reading however the way this book is formatted meant he actually enjoyed reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing adventure read, 22 Jun 2012
Ronnie (Wendover, Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
My son bought this book attracted by the format. he went from spending often weeks reading a book to whizzing through this in day's! His opinion is it is an extremely easy book to read, favourite part is the comic strips, can picture the setting awesome! Would recommend to any body to read

4.0 out of 5 stars The boy read it - miracle, 9 Aug 2011
The book was finished, was picked up at times without parents having to hint that reading maybe good for the brain and afterwards the boy asked about sequel books, all in all a huge success.

Slight issue when trying to sell a book to an 11 year old boy is the fact the lead characters are sisters, once the latent sexism was shaken out of him he got into it. On a more objective note he did say it took a while to build up but was worth sticking with. Design inside is fantastic swapping between text, cartoon and illustrations with different styles.

Worth buying for a book shy boy that is into adventure and thrills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teen read, 8 Dec 2009
E. A. Jewett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FIRST ESCAPE DOPPLEGANGER (Dopple Ganger Chronicles) (The Dopple Ganger Chronicles) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 12 year old daughter who does not enjoy sitting still and reading! She loved the story and the lay out of the pages. She could hardly put the book down and kept wanting to know what comes next. We are now ordering the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for non-readers, 8 Sep 2011
bobbathejobba (furthest place in the UK from the beach) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is my first G P Taylor book I have purchased and was impressed by his desire to help the next generation get into reading by creating this "illustra-novella" - a mixture of graphic novel, plain text and occasional illustrations. It really does work with reluctant readers to get them into the story. A fantastic idea and my daughter gobbled this up in two days flat in between school, meals and household jobs!

The story tells of two mischievous twins Sadie and Saskia who were left by their mother to a girl's home and their attempts to undermine the headmistresses authority. However, things take a turn for the worse when Saskia is adopted by a wealthy benefactor.

I have to say the first half of the story was laugh-out-loud and the it was so easy to imagine the voice of the headteacher warbling at the girls. The characterisation was first rate stuff.

The mystery surrounding the wealthy benefactor and the missing fortune was good but I felt the end became a bit of a mash as Saskia's various attempts to take out the villains (eg putting them down a laundry chute) seems to be each undone a few pages later when they emerged unscathed which I found frustrating. Though my daughter loved it and thought it added to the climax - so it may just be me! We will certainly be buying the next one in the series.

Highly recommended for reluctant readers.

4.99