5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant
Even though people say that this book is fake. You have to give this guy credit for his imagination as this book is bloody brilliant fiction or non-fiction.
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice story. Shame it's not true
I wanted to believe this story, I really, genuinely did. 8 years ago, when I first read TtT, I devoured it and gave copies to many of my friends. Back then it seemed so amazing - I described it as "like a James Bond film" in my original Amazon review. But over the course of time, I began to wonder if all the details could really be true, so I started to search around on...
Published on 8 Nov. 2012 by Jon Mason

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Deluded Fantasy., 5 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
By far the worst book i have ever read. Implausible rubbish being sold as a true story. A deluded fantasy from start to finish. What motivates someone to write nonsense like this?

1.0 out of 5 stars Lies, Lies, Lies, 23 Feb. 2012
The Truth Will Out = check this Link

[...]

I am writing this because I was recently told that Tony Anthony's Book "Taming The Tiger" must be true because of all the good Amazon Reviews. So I would like to set the record straight. I understand that the Good Reviews are written by people with the best intentions, but have they actually any proof of Anthony's claims or have they investigated his claims in any depth? Well I have, I have many Documented Proofs that Taming The Tiger is largely a collection of lies and unfortunately Anthony, as an Evangelist, actually preaches these lies to people around the world.

If any one would like to see these proofs, which are exhaustive, then if they reply to this Review with their email address I will contact them. Anthony's Wiki page, that was deleted several years ago through lack of proof, has been put up again, but again through lack of citations to prove any of his claims is reduced to just basic information and even that is awaiting verification.
I am saddened to write this but I believe, along with other concerned Christians friends and associates, that Tony Anthony attempts to spread the Gospel using deceit but the real Good News cannot be spread with lies.

Taming the TigerTaming The Tiger

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible work of fiction-biography, 6 May 2009
I am a Cristian and also a martial artist with over twelve years experience in Shaolin Kung-fu...because of this a friend of mine highly recomended this book.Normally I approach biographical works that are designed primarily to evangelise with caution, but because this book was about a man who grew up in China studying the Shaolin Arts, I actually was looking forward to reading his book and gaining some insights or the very least seeing his perspective on things. I was very shocked with what i read.
Now I ain't one to diss a brother, especially one evangelising, but I am very concerned with portrayals of the truth or perspectives of the truth.Years ago there was a very infamous expose of comedian Mike Warnkes books about Satanism.This book did much disservice to Christianity.This book in my opinion falls into the same category.
The overall criticism about this book is that it reads like a cheap 70s crime fiction novel.Nearly all the elements in the book regarding China, Martial Arts, International Kung Fu tournaments are straight out of a bad kung fu flick.
For example the author brazenly talks about training in the deadly Shaolin Arts...he even goes on to mention The Shaolin Temple, and training in the secret chambers. During the period these trainings were supposed to have happened, he fails to mention that it was illegal to practive traditional martial arts in China. Also during this period, the Shaolin temples (both Northern and Southern) were either in ruins and uninhabited or indeed (the southern temple) was actually 'lost'. His description of fights and tournaments feel like they are recollections of 70's shaw brother movies ...not real martial art fights.
Also his life as an international killer-for- hire is just plain implausible.It really is.
Now, I am not saying Mr Anthony's book is 100% fiction. I suspect it is possibly 90% fiction and bad fiction at that.It is fiction to the fact that whats real about the book is totally lost in all that James Bond like fabrication.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous fiction, 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
I have met many ex fighters etc who became pacifist or Christian, or even just seeking to put aside their former life, everyone of them mild and meek. Boxers, martial artists, soldiers, wrestlers,an ex body builder 30 years after competing. All shared the same traits, they never ever lose the gravitas and persona they had while competing or training. Despite weight gain and age, they look exactly like they are, ex fighters.
I have also met Mr Anthony who exudes nothing but the charm of a used car salesman, with the pallor and skin of a Dickensian accountant. Growing up on a Garrison and spending alot of time in Northern Ireland too, I've met many people who have killed for duty as well as belief. I have also worked with people who have served time for manslaughter and murder. There is something about a person when they have crossed that line, even when they find the strength or faith to come back over. The man in the book sounds exactly like this, he's battle scarred physically and mentally, he wears life on his face despite repenting. I read the book first, as some friends who feel I should be Christian, told me he was visiting our town. The man in the book was worth meeting, the man I met was not him. Being the polite type, I shook his hand (limp wrist), greeted him in what should have been his native tongue (all I received was a wan smile, an insult in that culture) and asked genuinely whether he meant the character in the book to be an allegory for what humanity can achieve. He told me it was all true and about his life.
It is undoubtedly fiction, when all he had to do was tell truth, he is already a convicted fraudster and I see more danger than good in his writings. For Christian readers, I would like to point out that although I do not share your faith, I acknowledge readily that there would appear to be substantially more evidence to corroborate actions of unimportant people 2000 years ago (unimportant in their time!) than there is to back up a single thing that Mr Anthony claims to have done in just the last few years.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst books ive read., 1 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
Terrible read and mostly fiction.From the kung fu training to the blind swedish girl.i think tony anthony needs long term therapy.Kill bill it aint!.

4.0 out of 5 stars If it could happen to him...it could happen to you, 28 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
This real life tale is a deeply moving story of a Kung Fu World Champion. With a fascinating view into the dark side of China's martial arts.

Read how a four-year-old child was taken away from his home and trained and transfered into a killer

Tony becomes an elite bodyguard, protecting some of the world's most powerful people but his heart is stone.

After personal heartache, Tony begins to use his deadly skills for illegal gain and personal kicks. All this lands him in prison and he is totally alone except for the visits of a stranger..but this is no ordinary visitor and he does not give up on Tony.

God has something to say to Tony and this stranger is His messenger.

A complex and fascinating testimony and I only hope this book is widely read and used as an inspiration...

A Wonderfilled book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete fiction (but possibly good for a laugh), 20 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
After ploughing through this pile of pulp, I could not decide whether Mr Anthony is a complete fantasist or just a compulsive (and very bad) liar who could not even be bothered to check his facts first.

Fiction from beginning to end, this book is not even well written (Angela Little should be ashamed of herself). One of the most telling things for me was that Anthony repeatedly gets the initials of the International Kung-Fu Federation (I.K.F) wrong, despite supposedly having worked for them for some years.

White tigers (a subspecies of the Bengal tiger) have never been known outside India and have not been seen in the wild since 1958.

Every time you think the stories cannot get any taller, they do.

Personally, I believed the book was true until I reached the part about the Kumite. Having watched Bloodsport in the early '90s I thought 'hang on...' The illusion was blown completely and I began to delve into the details.

In summary, unless you are a lover of 'so bad it's good' books, avoid like the plague.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing and amazing, 20 July 2006
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
Having met Tony Anthony and heard him speak, I can say he is far more complex and amazing than this story of his life can portray. This is simply his testimony, his history. The man himself has a confidence and yet a vulnerability that shows his honest and fervent passion for the lost.

This book is the major events in his life, and his thoughts and emotions at the time. From the innocent and confused child who was dealt many a harsh blow, to the arrogant and deadly trained killer he became (and beyond), his story flows smoothly and captivatingly. I enjoyed the jokes, winced and gasped at the fights, shed a tear at the fates of him and his friends. One of the most memorable books you will ever read, and could even change your life.

If there are people wondering why the training he recieved was non-standard, and the 3 championships he won are not recorded:
His grandfather (A grand master) was training Tony as the one to take over, and spared no techniques or incentives to make him the best of the best. And the Kung-Fu championships are highly illegal, if you have a record of it, expect to be arrested :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This humble man, 30 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
I heard Tony Anthony speak about his life about 1 month ago, and the fist thing that struck me about him, is his humbleness, I can 100% say he is a very humble man (probably due to the respect drummed into him as a child, I imagine).
I'm surprised he even survived to teenage years due to the amount of abuse put upon him for doing no wrong whatsoever. However, as an adult, at the talk, it was clear to see this man is not afraid to admit of failure or seemingly disastrous situations that life brings our way either. He spoke of an incident which happened to him recently in his life, and he could so easily have ‘given up’, many others would have, but he 'hung in there' when all around him (at the time) seemed utter chaos, God sorted it out. God comes through and shows you how He can mightily work through ANY situation no matter how bad it seems at the time.
I brought his book after hearing him speak. You get a feel about a person, and this guy, to me is not wanting to be a celebrity, he is nothing like a game show host as some people have and are sometimes just after your money [sorry but I am very much a sceptic until I see the person myself], he is not there to please the crowds, he comes across to me as completely sincere, and all he wants is to give people hope. He doesn’t beat around the bush, he came straight to the point, and you could tell at times, see it in his eyes he was re-living his life over again as he described the painful accounts and memories.
The book was truly gripping and remarkable. I read 5 chapters in one night, I was tired but somehow, could not put the book down and read another 6 chapters the following evening. I can and do believe everything, especially after meeting the guy in person and getting him to sign a book for me.
All he wants is to convey hope to those in the most hopeless and abusive of situations and this certainly came across in the book and his talk.
The Middle East job, where him and a guy he was protecting were chased across the desert was so gripping. I won't say any more so as to not give away the rest of the book, it is very easy to read, even those who know nothing about martial arts will find it very easy. So far, I only practise Tai Chi.
Overall, this book can be given to any person of any age. When recalling some very brutal incidences, (he very carefully chose his words when he gave his talk as children were in the audience), and I found that most respectful. The book and his talk gives hope to people of any walk of life with any situations, it is not purely for martial art enthusiasts alone. The amazing power of God displayed throughout his life in the book is truly awesome, and also gives you insight into the Chinese/Buddhists way of life/extensive, arduous training of the Shaolin temple monks, from which his grandfather was a ‘Grandmaster’.
If I were the person reading this review, I would look up on the net where he is visiting next, and if possible, hear him speak for yourself and make you own mind up. Until then, buy the book and be prepared to be shocked, sickened to the stomach at times at the evil some people can perform, but excited, exhilarated, and amazed at how God displays His power in the most horrific of situations.
Hertfordshire

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantasys ., 6 Oct. 2009
S. Corr (Jolly olde England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taming the Tiger (Paperback)
I don't quite know where to start with this,his Lawrence of Arabia like trek across the Sahara with little or no water,his taming of wild tigers,his sub 70' Chop Sockey antics,his gangsteresque shenanigans are all equally laughable,what is serious is his attempt to minister to needy and sincere people of the back of these blatant lies that is unforgivable....

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Taming the Tiger
Taming the Tiger by Tony Anthony (Hardcover - 2005)
Used & New from: £1.85