5.0 out of 5 stars Dairy Book of home cookery
I have the 1968 version of this book, very dog eared now, from when I first married and have bought copies for my children when they set up house for themselves. It's a brilliant book especially for those just starting out in cookery, but remains a valued friend. You'll only replace it when you wear it out, and then with the updated version.
Published on 3 Dec 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories
We've had a Dairy Cook Book for as long as I can remember.

Our original got soaked.

Bought the new one.... it's pretty much identical.

Only thing was the book was upside down to the cover !
Hey, I can work out turning the book over to read it.

Good seller.
Published 16 months ago by Simoxyz99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dairy Book of home cookery, 3 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Dairy Book of Home Cookery: New Edition for the Nineties (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dairy Book of Home Cookery, 12 May 2005
There are all sorts of words I could use to describe this book and they all amount to the same thing. That is: that I have consistently found this book easy to understand, the recipies all consistently work and look and taste the way that they are supposed to. The writers never assume that you know all the obscure terminology to do with cooking. I have had my copy for 12 years and it is referred to for anything from cooking times for meat, to what should I do for the next dinner party. A definite must for the average person who gets lost in other cookery books. Weights and measures are in metric and imperial for those of us who haven't completly embraced the 21st century yet. All the best of British traditional recipies plus many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE., 27 Sep 2007
Mrs. D. L. Cox (uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this book years ago when i had no idea how to cook. Now i do and even with the growing collection of fancy brand named chefs books on my kitchen shelf, this is the book i turn to most.
it looks plain, mine is misprinted with at least twenty pages printed twice lol, but the recipes work every time and are so simple. if i need a sauce i know it's there, pastry, bread dumplings you name it. If i could only keep one recipe book it would be this simple inexpensive book.
my reccomendations are the chocolate truffles (with coffee essence) curried courgette soup and the leek and sweetcorn soup(this is a must!). I have tried so many things in this book and my copy is covered in splatters and looking well thumbed.

new and unusual recipes are great but sometimes i think we forget that classic traditional recipes are classic and traditional because they taste good, they are easy to make and not very expensive and to be honest that's what most of us are looking for in a recipe book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best all round for beginners and experts, 22 Feb 2005
F. E. Beardsworth "Pheobe" (Saltcoats, Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I cannot praise this book highly enough - every home should have one! I have used this book thoroughly and thrown away many fancy chef's books. I am vegetarian and regularly use the meat recipes - replacing the meat with veggie alternatives. The recipes go from the simple with a few ingredients to more complicated; clearly explained all the way through with tips and advice.
The book starts with explanations of all the ingredients: meat, pulses, vegetables, dairy products, etc; then progresses from soups and starters, main meals (meat, fish, vegetarian, for one, etc), accompaniments, hot, cold and frozen deserts, cakes, breads, sweets and finishes with drinks. I have found endless inspiration from this book and now refer to it and have confidence to adapat the recipes to what is available in my kitchen - knowing that I will have something tasty at the end of it. I am no Cordon Bleu cook - the total oppositte, but have managed to produce a 6 course Christmas dinner, using recipes from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A family legend., 13 Dec 2003
I love this book.
My Mum has the 1978 edition, as does my mother-in-law.
When my parents found the latest edition for sale, they got each of their children a copy.
I contains a wide range of recipes ranging from the practical and economic to the extravegant.
I have always had sucess with the recipes from this book and, of my whole collection, I reach for this first.
A cornerstone of many fine kintchens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that is easy to follow!!!, 1 Jan 2001
I like cooking, but am not the best of cooks.... However, this book gives a wide range of recipes allowing lots of creativity. Many cooking books contain recipes that are too complicated or include ingredients too rare to find in your kitchen cupboards, but this includes many basics as well as some more interesting recipes. There is a good baking section (I find few cookbooks have much on bread, which I love making, but this one does) and a lot of notes on food preparation in case you are a complete novice. If you are the next Gary Rhodes, this book is probably not too much of a challenge. However, if you are a normal everyday person like me I'm sure you will find it useful!! If I could only have one cookbook it would be this one....

5.0 out of 5 stars You HAVE to get this book!, 4 Oct 2007
I LOVE this book! It was my mums but I took it when I left home! Mine is covered in spills and the pages are coming out but that is proof of how often I have used it. I can still never remember how long it takes to boil and egg, so I look this up every time!

All the recipes are easy to follow and nothing is very complicated. It covers every type of ingredient as well as having a fab reference section at the front with the types of meat cuts, cheeses, milk etc. It also tells you whether you can freeze the recipes and has microwave alternatives for convenience.

I really cannot recommend this enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useable cookery book I have read., 5 July 1999
By A Customer
From the beginning the book explains the basic concepts and detail of what is required and used in the preperation of food. The book then builds into a full volume of what and how to cook for the beginner to the experienced cook, with simple easy to follow instructions. Full of good ideas with variations on a theme where appropriate. Detail from a sandwich to a full a la carte meal.
I purchased the book as I had to fend for myself for five months and without this book eating would have been very boring or costly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginners, 31 Aug 2006
Ms. C. Batty (UK) - See all my reviews
This is my favourite cookbook and I wouldn't be without it. I have just bought a copy for my son who starts University this year. Forget all the student cookbooks, everything you need to know is in this, from cuts of meat, types of cheese, how to store food, use a microwave - it's all here. The recipes range from simple, good home cooking and meals for one to the more complex. I have never had a failure with any recipe and constantly refer to it - my bible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cook book I have ever used!, 17 Jan 2007
My mum bought this book back when it was first published and from day one it was my favourite when I was learning to cook.

It is great for those just starting out because it opens by telling you about types of milk, cheese, meat (including what the different custs are and what type of cooking is best suited to it) etc. It also gives guidelines on correct storage of food, weights, measures etc. For this reason it is fantastic as a reference book if nothing else!

However, the recipes are just as great. It gives you all the traditional recipes for starters, main meals (split up by pasta dishes, type of meat, vegetables for example), desserts, cakes and sweets in a really well thought out order.

What I like most about the recipes in this book is that they are classics and not all these weird and wonderful recipes in most cook books nowdays (which I would never make and therefore renders half the book useless to me). There are some adventurous recipes in it but all the ingredients are things you can easily obtain.

When I moved out of my parents house into my own home I took this book with me I can't live without it! Now my sister has just moved into her own home and mentioned that she wants a cook book... guess which one I am going to buy her? Yep, this one wins every time so I have ordered it for her as a present.

This cook book is not very expensive and worth every penny. If you buy it you will not regret it.

The Dairy Book of Home Cookery: New Edition for the Nineties
The Dairy Book of Home Cookery: New Edition for the Nineties by Sheelagh Donovan (Hardcover - 26 Nov 1992)
Used & New from: £0.01