5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and fun
Published on 4 Jan. 2008 by Pardo

This Cadogan guide includes some wonderful detail and certainly captures the essence of this part of France.

For the first-time visitor, however, it is not a particularly user-friendly format. Incorporation of images and more maps would definitely enhance its use as a guide, whilst I find the Cadogan format a little stuffy.
Published on 12 Aug. 2009 by RealWall

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and fun, 4 Jan. 2008
Pardo (Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dordogne and the Lot (Cadogan Guide Dordogne, the Lot & Bordeaux) (Paperback)
I have to disagree with Stephen Field's review (the only one here when I posted this review). I've always found the Cadogan guides written by Facaros and Pauls brilliant. Yes, they lack the pictures that you get in other books (especially the Eyewitness guides) but they more than make up for that in the quality of the text: it is detailed without being heavy, and fun without being stupid. To me, they strike the right balance between historical and architectural information and foodie indulgence. I bought this to replace my copy of the third edition which has now fallen apart through over use. I rate their stuff so highly that I now look to see if they have written a guide to a place I intend to visit. In a perfect world I'd have one of these and a corresponding Eyewitness guide - but if I only had room in my bag for one it would always be the Cadogan guide. Apart from the fact that the Eyewitness ones are heavy because of the glossy paper, the text in the Cadogan guides is vastly more entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledgeable, well organized and humorous, 1 May 2010
I was very satisfied with this guide. The presentation of the places is knowledgeable to the extent that you learn many things without being overwhelmed. It is very well organized helping you with ready made routes. I particularly liked the clever english humour of descriptions.
Apart from all these advantages, this is a text with an opinion and a point of view of the place it describes. You actually dialogue with the authors who give their informed opinion of the places. It doesn't only give you information. I would say that it keeps you company.
This is my first Cadogan guide and I 've already became a believer. Very satisfied indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice read, but the format limits its use as a holiday guide., 12 Aug. 2009

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 15 Nov. 2007
Stephen Field "Steve Lincs" (Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
Although I like to know factual information and happy to read about places in a travel guide - I do also expect a number of photos of what to expect. This guide is almost completely devoid of any!

I dare say it is very useful if you are already familiar with the Dordgne etc. but I certainly wouldnt recomend it for a first visit to the area

Dordogne and the Lot (Cadogan Guide Dordogne, the Lot & Bordeaux)