4.0 out of 5 stars a gentle invitation for us to learn from God's creation
Published on 22 Feb. 2008 by Bernard Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars How do we access the audio video content?
Book is great but cannot work out how to access the audio video content on either Kindle Fire HD or iPad mini.
Published 13 months ago by Joanne M

4.0 out of 5 stars a gentle invitation for us to learn from God's creation, 22 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Birds Our teachers: Biblical Lessons from a lifelong bird-watcher. Book with 30 minute DVD (Hardcover)
Before I start the review I must confess that having put a correction in to the name of this book - previously it was described as being a children's Bible for some reason - I didn't get things completely right. The DVD has a 30 minute piece on John Stott visiting the Falkland Islands and then has John Stott reading the whole book - with some pictures and music - which takes 2 hours 45 minutes.

This is a lovely book/DVD package that gives us an insight into another side of the well known Christian preacher and author John Stott. He has been a lifelong bird watcher and his enthusiasm comes across. His photographs, of which there are over 150 in the book and on the DVD are of a high standard. If the call to preach had not grabbed him he could have had a fine career as a wildlife photographer. Indeed - with his gentle enthusiasm in his voice on the DVD I hear the potential for an alternative David Attenborough.

This is very different from his classic theological works. His style is observational - an encouragement to us to observe the world around us. He writes in the introduction `Many Christians have a good doctrine of redemption, but need a better doctrine of creation. We ought to pursue at least one aspect of natural history'. For the rest of the book John Stott leads by example.

Chapter Two: 'The Migration of Storks - Repentance' makes the telling point that repentance is a homing instinct - calling us back to God. Chapter Four: 'The Value of Sparrows - Self Esteem' is well balanced, counselling us to have neither too high or too low self regard, but instead to think of ourselves with sober judgement (Romans 12:3). Chapter Nine: 'The Wings of the Hen - Shelter' has perhaps the deepest lessons learned from birds, and from bird imagery in the Bible.

The DVD has a half hour feature on a visit by John Stott to the Falkland Islands and the whole of the book which takes two and three-quarter hours to narrate. The format is the spoken voice and still pictures. All I take it by John Stott. The book really comes alive in this form. I have the impression that it was planned as an audio recording first and a text book second.

After having taken in the Book and DVD I am off to do what John Stott suggests. It is five minutes walk to my local park, where I like to stand on a lawn amongst the trees, watch the birds that nest in them and fly between them, and listen to their song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and very interesting content, 13 May 2014
Excellent quality book providing just what it says in summary and review. This is an ideal gift for anyone interested in birds

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good present, 17 April 2014
I ordered this as I work for the church for a leaving present for a work friend. She loved it. I can't really say its my thing but it is a beautiful book with lovely photos in it. I have had a lot of people asking where I got it so they could buy it. A lovely gift

2.0 out of 5 stars How do we access the audio video content?, 30 Dec. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 3 Sept. 2013
Jennifer Boniface (UK) - See all my reviews
Really enjoyed reading a lovely piece of writing on Chrisitan thinking from a different perspective. Its great to look at God's creation as an inspiration for faith and praise

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book & DVD, 25 July 2013
was purchased for some one else - they are very happy with it
Arrived within timescale also had an interesting DVD with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book, 2 Jan. 2013
Excellent book. Bought several of these as Christmas presents. They make great coffee-table kind of books. Easy reading and helpful reading. Nicely produced. The second part of the DVD is just reading through the book but even without this the book is useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Birds our teachers by John Stott, 22 Oct. 2012
This book is beautifully produced. The late author John Stott has recorded his lifelong interest in ornithology and blended it with practical bible based lessons for the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Birds Our Teachers is a delightful book!, 13 Dec. 2014
Joval "Jolly" (Malvern, England) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely and interesting book for anyone who is interested in birds - some amazing information. Even better as it is full of insights about our Creator God, and His love for all He has created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Jan. 2015