5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story portraying how God loves each one of us.
Published on 22 Mar. 2000 by andycoles22@aol.com

3.0 out of 5 stars The "Special Edition" is not very special!
I love this story and think that it's very worthwhile reading for children and adults alike. However I was hugely disappointed by this so-called "Special Edition". We already own a copy of the hard-cover edition, and it's beautiful: lovely colour illustrations, large glossy pages - a great presentation for a wonderful story.

I bought this book as a baptism...
Published on 19 Jan. 2012 by Julie Brazier

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story portraying how God loves each one of us., 22 Mar. 2000
This story was read out at a conference for Care for the Family at the Royal Albert Hall in March 2000. It was a conference for women to encourage them to take a small step and make a difference in the year 2000. Everyone was very moved by it and as it isn't available in the UK, I have ordered several copies to give to relatives and friends. It is beautifully illustrated and is about a town of wooden dolls who spend their time giving each other stickers all day ... stars for being good and dots for bad things. Punchinello has so many dots you can hardly see him! He meets another wooden doll who has no stars or dots. She advises him to go and see Eli, the woodcarver who made all the puppets, to find out why the stickers don't stick to her. Adults and children will love this book and it is excellent for evangelism.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are all special!, 5 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
We bought this book for the children who come to our center because they have been sexually abused. It is a wonderful book which helps these children understand that they are so very special and the abuse is just a small part of who they are. Most of the children we see think that others can tell that they were abused. Lucado wrote a story to help children believe in themselves and that it doesn't matter what others think. They realize that people cannot tell they have been abused. They also realize they are loved and wanted because Eli loves Punchinello as well as all of the other Wimmecks for who they are. This book is now read to those children who come for therapy to our center. It has also been "therapy" for the therapists and staff members who work at the center. I recommend that every household and every business which deals with children should own this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, heart-warming book, 30 Sept. 2006
I bought this book for my niece who is a "special needs" child. I actually wept in the story when I was reading it. I found it to be touching and profound. (The book may in fact have more impact on adults than children!)

It's a wonderful story that will remind children and adults alike that they are loved and unique- a great tool for teaching your kids to feel good about themselves.

Nicely illustrated as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written story that touches the heart, 19 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
A story about acceptance that shows that it is not what other people think about us that matters, that we are special because we are who we are. A story that is as relevant for adults as it is children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reminder to accept no ones judgement but your makers, 1 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
I am a twenty year old student, and this book was as relevant to me as to any child. It is a wonderful reminder not to let anyones judgements, whether positive or negative shape my identity. I am secure because my creator loves me, and not because I have shiny paintwork or can jump over tall boxes :) I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars The "Special Edition" is not very special!, 19 Jan. 2012
Julie Brazier (Washington, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You are Special: Gift Edition (Wemmicks) (Hardcover)

I bought this book as a baptism gift and I'm about to return it. While the details do mention the small size, I wouldn't have minded that overly much (it is after all cheaper), but the original illustrations are all rendered in grey-scale! They're still the same images and really well done, but it's just not as good as the original without the colour. And there are also arbitrary pages breaking up the story by adding something like chapter headings "The Wood Carver" and "Lucia". Aside from thickening it out, I can't see the point.

I suppose the format of this book might appeal more to older readers, as the removal of the colour and the reduction of the size to feel more like a paper-back do add a certain gravity to the presentation. But purchasers should be aware of what they're losing, and calling it a "Special Edition" seems like a misnomer.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a special way to share God's love with children!, 28 April 1999
By A Customer
The store that I bought this book in had it tucked away on the bottom shelf of a display. But, when I picked it up and read what was inside I was amazed at the simple beauty that it shared. As I read it again at home I weeped because Eli's love for his hand made children is so familiar to the way we can all feel God's love. As we read this to our children they can come to understand more simply our's and God's unconditional love for them. Max Lucado has done a wonderful job!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome and every child should here it., 18 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
This book sums up how we should see ourselves and how God sees us in a very understandable tale of the real truth. If everyone would read this to their child, oh, how our world would change!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 Aug. 2007
This has become the book I give to every child being christened/having a naming ceremony etc. I love it. It's relevant at every age although my 2 children (aged 4 and 2) are still a little young to understand it. I really hope they are still letting me read it to them in a few years. I think of all the Max Lucado books this is the one most accessible to people without a Christian faith and it's certainly the one with the most powerful message about not following the crowd and being content to be who you are meant to be /want to be rather than what others expect. It manages to get a profound message into easy-to-understand language.

It comes in 2 formats that I have found - a lovely presentation book with a hard cover or a hardboard book. We have the hardboard version which is cheaper but I think it was a false economy because I have a feeling they will find it too "babyish" a format as they get older. I would recommend buying the hardback version for it's longevity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds you that God is always waiting for you to come tohim, 24 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This is easy reading for young and old to remind us that it only really matters what God sees in us.

You are Special: Gift Edition (Wemmicks)
You are Special: Gift Edition (Wemmicks) by Max Lucado (Hardcover - 21 Oct. 2005)