5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to Seashore ecology.
Published on 2 Aug. 2001 by kazatj@aol.com

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Illustrations poor and limited coverage
Published 6 months ago by C. F. Howat

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to Seashore ecology., 2 Aug. 2001
kazatj@aol.com (Kilmarnock, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Guide to Seashore Life of Britain and Europe (Green Guides) (Paperback)
The only reson I bought this book wasthat I have a firthcoming marine fieldcourse at University. So I thought I betterknow at least the basics of seashore life, which this book capably provides. The book has is a great introduction to seashore ecology and is well suited for beginners like myself. The introduction to the book is concise, comprehensivewith simple diagrams and descriptions provided for easy identification. Along with sensible information regarding safety, conservation and equipment required. The guide is easy to follow, with very little jargon used. The use of accurate and aesthetically pleasing diagrams accompanied by conscise descriptions allows for easy identification. Other useful features of the book include: it's convenient size, space at the back for notes, useful advice regarding further reading(e.g. Collins Pocket Guide: Seashore of Britain and Ireland, the Hamlyn guide to seashores and shallowseas of Britain and Europe.)and useful adresses for people who may wish to take a more active role in conservation or field studies. Overall a great informative book for anyone who visits the seashore regularly or has an interest in the basics of seashore ecosystem ecology. With this book being excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Green Guide to Seashore Life of Britain and Europe (Green Guides), 22 Aug. 2010
I was born by the sea and for most of my life I have lived by the sea. As a biologist I know quite alot about the sea. Now I am retired I walk my dogs by the sea every day of the year whatever the weather.

I don't know about you but I have a habit when I am walking on the beach of looking at everything just in front of my feet; I have time to do that now. It's really amazing what you can find, not just once in a while, but everyday. On my beach at Bacton , Norfolk there are fossils, semi-precious stones, even amber, that I pick up and take home to polish in my tumbler polisher. There are washed up creatures from the sea, often I know what they are, things like mussels, starfish and whelk shells. But now that I really have time to look I notice a multitude of other things: the many types of seaweed, the different types of mussels, and then the tiny things amongst the the jetsam and flotsam of the tideline, amazing little creatures like sandhoppers and sea slaters. Now I didn't know what all these other things were, and being inquisitve,I wanted to know, so naturally I looked for a suitable pocket sized book to help me. That's when I discovered,"Seashore Life of Britain and Europe" (Green Guide) by Bob Gibbons. As an introduction to life on Britain's seashores it can't be bettered and if your thirsty for more knowledge there's good advice for further reading witin this excellent little pocket guide.

Dan Corbett August 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, well-informed and handy, 19 Nov. 2009
Heather Goodwin (Blackpool, England) - See all my reviews
This is a really neat little book, very well-researched, with clear pictures. I liked it because it fits in the map pocket of my waterproof, so you can use it on the move and compare what you're seeing directly.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a bargain !!!, 18 Sept. 2012
R. Terry (sevenoaks uk) - See all my reviews
What a quality book The details of what you can find on our beaches is unbelievable. I bought the book as a present for my three favourite girls and they are over the moon, all they want to do now is go to the beach with the book in hand and study what is lurking beneath the rock pools. I think that this book is the best £2.99 that I have ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 22 April 2011
Lovely little pocket sized book to take out and about. It seems to have all I need in it for walks etc. The illustrations are clear and I am able to identify life on the beach using it without any trouble. Good value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough and easy to understand, 14 Aug. 2010
I found this book to be very easy to understand and it is easy to identify the various seashore life with this book (especially seaweed which is why I bought the book)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seashore Life, 5 Sept. 2014
The guide identifies the vast majority of the common species found on the seashore. It has a stout cover, is sufficiently robust to withstand being stuffed into a rucksack, yet small enough to carry around without being burdensome. Despite its small size it is informative and well illustrated and a most useful aid to anyone exploring seashore life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little guide but overall pretty basic, 21 July 2014
Good little guide but overall pretty basic. If you require a wide range of information on seashore diversity this is only a general guide. Would recommend it highly for children or teenagers curious about the ecology of the seashore.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 28 July 2014
C. F. Howat "Craig" (Cotgrave Notts UK) - See all my reviews
Illustrations poor and limited coverage

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Nov. 2014
Mrs. A. Haskins (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
13 year old very pleased with it.

Green Guide to Seashore Life of Britain and Europe (Green Guides)