on 6 May 2006
It's excellent! Even if you aren't an avid naturalist this book is easily one of the most useful things you could own. You don't need to be a book addict either, it's easy going and good fun. With brief but informative bits and pieces on what's happening in the world of nature every month. It's well illustrated too, and Nick's style of writing is great, he's obviously in the know and yet he doesn't bore you to tears with a slow and dull writing style, it's genuinly interesting and I recommend it to anyone with even a vague interest in wildlife.
on 8 November 2011
I lead Mini Beast Safaris for the National Trust and found this to be a useful book. However I would question the labelling of the mini-beasts on page 9 as some appear to be labelled incorrectly or perhaps it's me! ie. the caterpillar and millipede, the centipede isn't labelled. On page 10 there should be a reference made as to the number of legs per segment. Two on centipede and four on millipede.
on 26 February 2014
I bought this book for my grandson's 6th birthday. I gave him a 'mini-beast hotel' to go with it. When he comes to visit me he is always fascinated by the newts and other creatures in my pond and anything he can discover under the stones or dead leaves. I found Nick Baker's book very interesting, with good illustrations. At 6 years of age my grandson may need help reading the facts about insects but this is a book that he will be able to use for many years. I recommend it for future scientists.
on 3 June 2014
This book is very clearly laid out and easy for little readers (my daughter is in year 1). Highly recommend!
on 31 August 2015
Quite a nice book with excellent illustrations.
on 9 July 2014