on 12 March 2004
My dad is a firm believer in Haynes Manuals and has bought one for every car he has owned. (at least while I lived at home) He even recounts a story where he took his car to a garage to get it repaired and they actually looked in the Haynes Manual he'd left in the back of the car to see what they needed to do!
So naturally when I started owning cars, I followed in his footsteps and bought a Haynes manual. It gives you the essential information on how to pull apart your car and put it back together. For the cost of owning a manual I have saved myself a fortune in time and money visiting a garage to fix the little things that can and do go wrong over time. (like having the door to the boot jam closed)
If it only saves you one trip to a garage then it will have paid for itself. My advice is no matter what car you have, buy the related Haynes manual and keep it in the car as you just can't afford not to.
on 25 July 2001
You don't need to be a car enthusiast or mechanic to benefit from the straight forward instructions in maintenance and repairs . The manual covers all repairs with easy to follow step by step guides and photographs or diagrams. To help you with repairs there is a list of all tools you require .Each repair has a gauge to show the difficulty of the procedure.I have saved fortunes in repair costs over the years by using these manuals and the Haynes Discovery manual is an essential requirement for all Landrover owners. I have always thought highly of the Haynes manuals and purchased my first twenty years ago, they continue to be one of the best on the market and I highly recommend them.
on 24 March 2010
Having recently bought a 1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i I thought it would be a good idea to buy this manual to save some money on servicing (so I can spend what I save on petrol, thanks to recent price hikes but anyway I digress). It certainly has helped me resolve a couple of issues and isolate some problems that were far beyond my capabilities as a DIY mechanic.
This manual is set out perfectly it starts with a brief introduction of the Discovery, then moves on to weekly checks. After this it starts on servicing; every 6000 miles or 6 months (like changing the oil for example), 12,000 miles or 12 months and so on. Then over-hauls, including; removing and rebuilding the engine, gearbox etc. Towards the end of this book there is a section fault finding (very handy) and a section on checking over your vehicle before and MOT (and once again very handy, I could have done with this with my previous car).

I now keep this manual in my car so if I or my mechanic should need it's there.

This is certainly a must for any Discovery owner or mechanic!
on 5 September 2014
Was in Motorworld the other day and i saw this brand new (had Dizzy since 2005) and still don't know how to do anything mechanically for her (thats what good friends who are mechanics are for!!). Was not about to pay top whack for the book so looked on various sites and even though i usually go through Play.com (nectar points), Amazon were cheaper and when you take into account the postage is included, you can't beat it, as its not a lightweight book.
on 11 February 2011
A useful book printed on cheap paper with no colour photographs. Could be a lot more comprehensive. eg
Adjusting external door locks.
Replacing various switches on dashboard.
Troubleshooting electrical problems.
Tuning for maximum economy. etc etc etc
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2015
Great book for land rover discovery 1 owners.Very helpful already for me and i have only done 2 things but reading this has helped me so far with knowing how to do it and what to do in the correct order.Recommended if you own a land rover discovery 1.
on 7 May 2013
It's the typical Haynes Manual. Some of it is great and some is very vague. I needed to take the dash apart and replace the instrument bulbs. This Manual took me through the process. Thank you Haynes.
on 7 February 2015
What can you say about a Haynes manual. It does what it says. I managed to sort out my electrical problem with it so that made it worth the money and i still have it so anything else is profit.
on 6 May 2013
As usual Haynes hits the spot with everything you could possibly need in this series of manuals. Great info and illustration that even a layman like me can understand. Brilliant!
on 14 August 2013
A very useful book if you want to do anything up to major work on a Discovery 1 (major is taking the gearbox/transfer box apart),
Oil resistant pages would have been nice.