5.0 out of 5 stars essential guide to the problem
Published on 28 Jun. 2004 by Tiresias

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Having read all the glowing reports on this book, all I can say is how disappointed I was with it, it has seven chapters in all but only one chapter (11 pages)dealing with food and drink, which surely is the most important factor in gout, and there is only one page that lists food by the purine content of food.

It is written in a Q&A type format, that...
Published on 10 Jun. 2010 by keith

5.0 out of 5 stars essential guide to the problem, 28 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
I was recently diagnosed as having gout and a doctor friend of mine gave me this book to help me understand the problem and also to improve treatment. It is a very readable, clearly laid-out and authoritative guide. There are plenty of internet websites offering symptoms' analysis and quick interpretations but only a book like this can really give you a full insight. Gout can be a crippling and excruciatingly painful disease. I heartily recommend this book for anyone suffering from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable advice, 29 Nov. 2008
S. Alcock "SteveAlcock" (Colchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
I had my first attack of gout at around 38, I'm now 43 and following my most recent attack was advised by my doctor to go on Alpurinol, probably for the rest of my life. The doctor took about 2 mins to reach this conclusion, without examining me and never having discussed my gout with me before. The list of side affects for Alpurinol do not make good reading.

I found advice from reputable sites on the net (such as NHS Direct, BUPA, UK gout society) misleading inacurate and contradictory.

This book is written by three top specialists in this field. Their credentials are as impressive as anyone could imagine. The advice is thorough, based on sound medical facts and written in an easily digestible style. It is also written in an advisory style which I liked, talking of options and implications and leaving the reader to make their own decisions.

I enjoy running, cycling and other vigorous exercise and can't bear the thought of having to stop this -untreated gout could leave a person permanently unable to walk. This book is worth every penny, the best information on gout that I have come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. If you even suspect you have gout, get this., 12 Nov. 2007
James Tyler (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
I bought this book within days of having my first ever acute attack of gout. I received minimal advice from my doctor on the first visit, nhs direct didn't tell me anymore than the basics and a lot of what I was reading conflicted too. So I was left frustrated. This book was a revelation and taught me clearly and simply everything i needed to know and helped me to prepare for a repeat visit to my doctor where I could discuss the treatment I needed and make a judgement of whether I fully understood and agreed with my doctors advice. I cant recommend this book too highly.
I particularly like the way it is written in a 'questions and answers' format. The questions I assume are genuine ones collected from patients over the years. They are all relevant and well answered and certainly covered all the questions I had and including many that i had not thought of.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 10 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)

It is written in a Q&A type format, that concentrates mainly on prescription drugs to help alleviate the severe pain of gout, it has none or very little advice in it to help one through an attack of gout.

A good book if you are interested in prescription drugs
Don't think it was written by anyone who actually suffers from gout
Found out more about gout by searching on the web.

5.0 out of 5 stars All your questions answered ..., 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
..and more. Excellent source of information for suferers of gout. Written in the format of patient's questions and answers this book provides answers to all possible questions you forgot to ask your doctor!
After run of the mill consultation with my GP I have shown him this book and he was very impressed. He took the details and said that he'll recommend this publication to all his "gouty" patients.

1.0 out of 5 stars misleading, 2 Sept. 2013
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
First, full disclosure: I have not read this book and you do not need to (otherwise there would be dozens and dozens of success stories here).

Next, the reason why:

Gout is a symptom of low thyroid. "Hyperthyroidism Type 2" explains this and is therefore a better book to read. Starr explains how all chronic pain is linked to low thyroid, including those involved with diabetes, heart problems, both bleeding & blood clots (including strokes) and some cancers. If you have any kind of chronic pain, you need to know 1. some are calling low thyroid the silent epidemic (silent because officially denied) and 2. that ALL the standard lab tests are WRONG.

Also, I have personal experience because my partner suffered gout (or gout-like symptoms, since his "gout" eventually would sometimes affect both feet and sometimes swell right up to his ankles) for over a decade. By the end he was suffering half a dozen severe attacks each year - and each one lasted several weeks, one of them putting him in a wheelchair for over a week when both feet were severely swollen and excruciatingly painful.

Like those cholesterol-lowering diets, of course he tried all the eating recommendations - and he drinks very little alcohol of any kind. In both cases, the overwhelming majority of us see little or no improvements. Of course not - your body makes most of the cholesterol and diet has little to do with it - WATER does! The less plain, clean water you drink, the more cholesterol your body makes. The gout diet is a similar con.

Finally, an attack was STOPPED IN ITS TRACKS within 24 hours when he started to take NDT (natural desiccated thyroid). He never had another attack again (it's been over a year now).

There are easy self/home tests you can do to find out if YOU have low thyroid. "Stop The Thyroid Madness" (website and book) is a self-help manual covering just about everything you need to know. thyroiduk[dot]org[dot]uk offers a list of the very few thyroid sympathetic doctors in this country

5.0 out of 5 stars Gout, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
Best gout book I've seen (I have several). It puts things in layman's terms and not doctor speak. Worth a look for a few quid. Anything to stop the pain. I now take cherry supplements and I've not had a chronic gout attack for nearly two years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
Clear and concise explanations of gout and what to do about it. If you want a textbook look elsewhere, this is a helpful and practical guide. Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars For those having just had their first gout attack, 15 Jan. 2014
Mr. G. Pearson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
This is a great book to explain gout and help you understand what the results of a gout blood test mean. It would have been an even better book if some diet sheets had been inserted. When you realize what you should avoid eating, it leaves you wondering what you can eat?

5.0 out of 5 stars Gout know the demon, 14 Nov. 2012
Peter Williams (Droitwich Spa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gout (Paperback)
You know the pain. Got more out of this than I could out of my doctor. Gout is heridtory and you need to know triggers verses myth. Not had an attack for 5 years..

Gout
Gout by Gillian Clarke (Paperback - 1 Feb. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01