5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful deck and very helpful book.
The Beginners Guide to Tarot comprises of a beatifully illustrated tarot deck and book. The blurb on the back of the box states that the deck has been specifically designed for the novice, with each card illustrated clearly. Something I'd definately agree with as each card is very clear and has two pages assigned to it in the book.
The book starts off with...
Published on 30 Dec 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book
I find the book very good and gave a good beginners insight into Tarot. The cards are attached and my first instinct was to separate them from the book to stop it getting tatty.
Was a bit disappointed at the quality of the cards - the pictures are fine - traditional based on RW, but feel much more flimsy than other packs I have, and this made it bit tricky when...
Published on 26 Mar 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show!!, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Beginners Guide to Tarot (Paperback)
Thanks for posting me 'Beginners Guide to Tarot'. I'm giving you five out of five. I'm a beginner to Tarot and will find this book useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars great review, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Beginners Guide to Tarot (Paperback)
This guide to Tarot is in the form of a book and especially designed cards. The cards are quite wonderful, they incorporate the innate meaning and feeling attributed to the card and suit, the cards are well designed and fairly uncluttered, allowing the reader to see the essence rather than the detail of the card. I do like the artwork very much; it manages to be modern but retains the feeling of age. The deck is very pleasing to use.

The book is excellent; the learner is encouraged to look at the cards and is given an overview of the suit. Afterwards the reader is taken through each card one at a time. The cards are reproduced in the book and key points of the artwork are shown with the meaning of the representation. At the end of each chapter is a spread to illustrate a reading, using just the one suit. Later this is further developed to use Major Arcana and eventually all the deck. I have to say this is actually by far the best book about Tarot for beginners I have found, there is enough here for the reader to find his or her way and thus develop familiarity and intuition. I have no reservations whatsoever about strongly recommending this book to anyone interested in learning Tarot; I have found no other reading material that comes close to helping a beginner as well as this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Guide To Tarot, 30 Jan 2011
Personally this has been without questin the best tarot deck I have used. I have many tarot and oracle decks each with their own qualities however when it comes to accuracy this is the pack for me. It is a deck which is easy to follow the illustrations are clear and full of symbolism, beginners and more experienced tarot readers take note this is easy to follow and a great beginning in tarot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a look, 15 Dec 2008
Icy Sedgwick "Icy" (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
Having dabbled with the Tarot for a few years, I was getting tired of finding myself unable to memorise card meanings - the Egyptian and Dragon decks that I had make interpretation of their beautiful, but somewhat obtuse, images difficult. Instead of relying on 'decoding' spreads using a Tarot dictionary, I decided to purchase this set based on the other Amazon user reviews, and I am so glad that I did. Juliet Sharman-Burke divides study of the Tarot into manageable chunks, presenting each suit of the Minor Arcana in turn before moving onto the Major Arcana. Each card gets a two page spread in the accompanying book, pointing out the symbolism and subsequent divinatory meaning of each before concluding the examination of a suit with a sample spread.

The images aren't necessarily as pretty as other decks, but they're wonderfully easy to read and decode, and the card quality isn't as bad as other users have pointed out. Remembering the meanings is a lot easier with these cards, and this makes interpretation based on the cards themselves (not a book) so much easier. If you're looking to start with the Tarot, then I'd highly recommend that you start here.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed to be disappointed, 26 Mar 2009
As a beginner to tarot, I wanted a book and deck to start me off on the right foot and bought this particular tarot guide on the basis of the positive reviews previously received.

I was disappointed in the guide's presentation. The book is small and attached to the cards' cardboard encasing. This wasn't user-friendly for me as it made it hard to read the book. I've now cut the book free from the cards for this very reason (which obviously ruins the aesthetics). A spinal book would also have been preferred for ease of reading.

The deck is clear and the book contains a good guide to each card. However, in my opinon, I didn't feel the book gave me enough knowledge and confidence to use the deck as the limited spreads given were basic.

In hindsight, I should have gone for the more expensive option and bought a more user-friendly and worthwhile book and deck separately rather than plump for this particular tarot 'pack'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learners set, 22 May 2005
Lin Hyde (Newark, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a learning aid this set is a must for any budding tarot readers.Without being overwhelming it gradually teaches the reader the generic meaning of the suits and the individual cards and encourages the reader to use their own intuition within the interpritations as they read.
The design and illustrations are beautiful and inspiring, my only disappointment was in the quality of card used, they do feel a little thin and not too rubust.
There is also an exercise book available with the same cover which has been designed by Juliet Sharman-Burke to compliment this set. The exercises encourage the reader to build a personal relationship with each card in order to help the reader to remember the generic information related to each suit/card, and therefore help with interpritation.
With or without the additional book this set is a wonderful learning tool and would be my first recommendation to anyone wanting to learn to read the Tarot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful introduction to Tarot reading, 16 Sep 2008
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was a bit disappointed on first examining this Tarot deck. The cards are matt rather than glossy and the images are inspid pastel colours. However, the illustrations themselves have been very carefully thought out to prompt intuitive responses to their meanings. For example the eight of cups shows eight chalices carefully arranged into an arcade, with a cloaked man about to set off on a hike up a barren mountain. This suggests the need to leave behind past endeavours and embark on a new (albeit uncertain) future.

The book too is very clearly set out and I liked the author's idea of asking the reader to associate each card with an event in their own lives to help make the Tarot more personal. Overall, this is an excellent introduction to fortune-telling, though I would be tempted to use a more traditional deck (with the Gothic grandeur of their pictures) for actual readings.

1.0 out of 5 stars New Starter, 5 Oct 2009
L. C. Amundsen "Lilly" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In my search for my first tarot deck - I purchased this product, hoping it would indeed give me an easy insight to the world of tarots.
However, I must say I was disapointed when it arrived. The graphics and the guide was poorly designed and it did not appeal to me whatsoever. The guide is too basic and I would not recommend this product to a beginner. It is simply not enough information and I want to add not a safe introduction to the complex world of reading the meanings of the cards and layouts.

I purchased a second pack of cards at the same time and I am very glad I did, because I could then make a better choice.

This pack I gave away for someone else to find a home for, if they want to.

If you are serious about wanting to learn - then stay clear of this product. If you are bying it just for fun then that is a different choice.

Lilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic tarot guide for beginners, 10 April 2010
I have been very happy with both the cards and the book as a basic guide to tarot. This was my first pack and has been ideal for the purpose. The pictures are very clear and the descriptions take you through each of the minor arcana suits in a logical way that helps you to memorise the meanings. I would like more development of the art of combining the cards meanings, though, and the range of spreads is quite limited. So, great as a first step into the world of tarot, but it might be a bit disappointing for someone who already had some knowledge of the cards and experience of reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug 2014
Very nice.

Beginners Guide to Tarot
Beginners Guide to Tarot by Juliet Sharman-Burke (Paperback - 25 Feb 2005)