4.0 out of 5 stars The Alexander Technique Manual
Published on 5 Dec 2009 by Tami Brady

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive glossy brochure with no real practical information
Published on 13 Oct 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars The Alexander Technique Manual, 5 Dec 2009
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Alexander Technique Manual (Paperback)
Posture is important. Not standing rigidly straight like our mothers told us but natural posture. At first, it sounds a little redundant. Of course, I stand, sit, and walk in a natural way. However, it's amazing the strain we put our bodies through without even recognizing it. After twisting our bodies like pretzels, we then wonder why we have neck, shoulder, or back pain.

The Alexander Technique Manual is a good basic resource that literally shows us how awkwardly the majority of us sit, stand, and walk. The key to making changes is pretty straightforward, beginning with awareness. We can't change what we don't know exists. A few mindful exercises and some minor modifications can really make a difference.

On this one, I do highly suggest seeing a professional trained in The Alexander Technique. He or she will see things that you won't necessarily notice. Still, simply by paying attention to body pain, strain, stiffness, or awkward movements and then making small changes, you can make a world of difference even on your own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive glossy brochure with no real practical information, 13 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This book is printed on high quality glossy paper, alas that is all the quality it has. For a book with the title The Alexander Technique Manual I would have expected lots of information on techniques, instead the reader is bombarded with suggestion to go and see an Alexander Technique teacher - perhaps the book should be called "Sales brochure" instead of manual. Although the author puts forward a few ideas for posture, they are very sparse and constantly refer to how a teacher would show you rather than instruction on 'how to'. When you finish reading the book, you are left with a feeling of why did I buy it? As the author himself states "the experience of the Alexander Technique can never be described in a book or conveyed by speech." pity that isn't printed on the cover, it would have saved me the money for my first lesson with a teacher. The Alexander Technique is no doubt a marvellous aid to sufferers of back and joint problems and reducing stresses in the body, but this sort of expensive book does nothing to further the cause. The info in this book could have easily been printed in B&W on far lower quality paper with a much lower price tag, and not lost anything as a result....

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 18 Feb 2010
D. C. L. Ford "Technomancer" (Broadstairs, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Alexander Technique Manual (Paperback)
A very good book. Easy to understand with excellent pictures for guidance.

I'm learning Alexander Technique and have shown this book to my teacher.
She's looked at it and is getting a copy for herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent clear guide to The Alexander Technique, 6 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This is that rare book on the Alexander Technique, one that manages to explain the key principles in clear English. It is an excellent introduction and, in conjunction with lessons from a certified teacher, is sure to bring the reader the very best results from the technique.
If other reviewers bemoan the fact that lessons from a certified teacher are still required, they will have missed the point of the technique. Whilst a book can provide much useful information, nothing can substitute for the experience of a teacher. Teachers qualify after a rigorous 3 year course and it would be unlikely that a single book could ever be a substitute for some lessons. What this book does admirably is to explain what the technique is and how it works and to motivate the reader to take the technique further with one-to-one lessons or group workshops.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good simple guide, 27 Jan 2013
D. Rose (Biggin, Nth Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Alexander Technique Manual (Paperback)
Although, I've taken some Alexander Techique classes this book has allowed me a little further investigation and provided me with reminders of what I've been learning in the one to one class.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Alexandra technique manual, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Alexander Technique Manual (Paperback)
. Good book very easy to read, helpful pictures. Good value for money. good to read before finding a teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing technique, 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Alexander Technique Manual (Paperback)
No more back ache, Feel taller and very conscience of my posture
and it doesn't take long to do exercises or get results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 4 May 2012
Arrived promptly :)
Gives a good all round understanding of the technique.
I studied this at drama collage n wanted to remind myself of technique n this was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 19 Oct 2011
I have heard about this book from friends, so decided to buy, as I am on a course. A great book, and has help with my course work.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to understand introduction to the AT, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Alexander Technique Manual (Paperback)
Recommended by my AT teacher, this manual is easy to read and has helped me gain a good understanding of the theory behind the AT. Will definitely continue to refer to it between lessons to reinforce what I've learnt from my teacher.

The Alexander Technique Manual
The Alexander Technique Manual by Richard Brennan (Paperback - 28 Jan 2005)
10.23