Published on 20 Nov. 2012 by Katharine Kirby

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 15 Nov. 2012 by S. Eaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Tuned in and Turned on to The Home Service - more Kindly Sense from Katherine Sorrell, 20 Nov. 2012
Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
You can tell the success of such a book as Retro Home from the number of bookmarks it sprouts. Ours will hardly close shut now; from page one they are inserted and standing up, proud soldiers, to attention - This room is great, here's some attractive ideas, another one that feels right, just what I want to achieve. Appealing to at least two generations, my daughters in law have been hogging this book since it arrived. I can hardly get a look in. So there are three members of our family with whom it is a big hit.

So don't hesitate, save cash from magazines with all those ads, dive right in to a proper illustrated manual and start planning your new old look. Now that winter's here it's time to hit refresh for your indoors; cast your eye about your surroundings and set sail in good company to brighten up ready for the long dark days ahead.

A top quality production, as we have come to expect from KS, with original sharp, colourful and inspiring photography, all set out in perfect order:

Introduction
Retro Essentials
Retro Styles
Case Studies
Directory
Acknowledgements
Picture Credits and Index.

Of course it is the shiny new pics you look at first, you can't help but thumb though, and what a visual treat they offer. However don't discount the text, Katherine Sorrell really knows her stuff, she is experienced but modest, calm and competent. Her finger is spot on the pulse of today's needs and possibilities, showing the way to live well without splashing out large sums of money few of us can any longer afford or find.

How much more rewarding to live with our means, search out unique treasures and give them a new home, temporary maybe, as moods alter but that's what charity shops and on line auction sites are for isn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
A super 'retro' book! Ms Sorrell, once again, shows she really knows her stuff. Beautifully written in a warm, familiar style and with wonderful photographs alongside to make you drool!
(I want some of those wonderful pieces in my house!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, highly recommended for retro lovers., 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
I found this book on a friends coffee table and fell instantly in love with it. The photos are so inspiring, I especially love the uniqueness of the rooms filled to the brim with beautiful collections of thrift store finds and retro items that I remember from my childhood. I am an interiors magazine enthusiast by nature so this book is definitely on my Christmas list. Packed full of amazing photos, lots of clever ideas. I love the way the book shows so many different versions of retro. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
As someone who enjoys pictures I read the text and thought it was very good, informative and interesting. I know a bit about 50 -70s design and I have found this book has added to that. I like it and am buying for my nephew as a Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
A very informative and well illustrated book full of ideas and information which will assist both those on a limited budget and those who are not. Even if you haven't considered retro style before, this book is well worth a read; interesting and enjoyable. As the introduction says: "This book aims to give you some ideas about where to start with retro....it is ....a sourcebook of ideas....from which you can cherry pick your favourite bits"

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Gift, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
I hadn't realised how wide a subject `retro' covered until I was given this book. As well as being full of good ideas, it is also a beginners guide to the subject, as it covers well all the major designers associated with the retro look and the many different ways of bringing their styles and designs into the modern home. It makes a great gift for anyone wanting to incorporate some retro objects into their home with style. It shows many examples of how just one piece correctly placed can create a retro look. It's a lovely book for browsing through for inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book - really inspiring pictures., 24 Jan. 2013
C. KIRBY "Dolly" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
Saw this book in the Geffrye Museum visitors shop, London E2...another place to go for great idea's and inspiration !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
Bought book for my daughter in law, very interesting and plenty of ideas. Sent promptly, well packaged, exactly what I wanted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Nov. 2012
S. Eaton "Thorne Smith FAN!" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Retro Home (Hardcover)
What a disappointment. I'm an avid buyer on books on interior design and homes and was really looking forward to receiving this. I wish I'd waited until I had looked through a copy in a store before purchasing. Half the pictures look like they came from a Homebase catalogue. This isn't retro. It certainly isn't inspiring. I am reluctant to add this to my bookshelves its not worthy of a place there.

Retro Home
Retro Home by Katherine Sorrell (Hardcover - 26 Oct. 2012)