on 24 January 2006
Loads of pictures to inspire you, but many of them seem to have a similar theme. Neutrals with a few colourful accessories. Most of the properties featured are amazing period houses with huge high ceilings. The main thing lacking in this book is that it doesn't cover newer or smaller properties, and it doesn't show any examples of anything really original, individual or bizarre.
There's nothing in the way of advice in this book, it's purely about the photographs.
0Comment118 of 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2009
Excellent book with just what you need for design inspiration - minimal text and maximum photographs. Yes, as the other reviewer pointed out the homes featured are all vast and no doubt beyond most of our budgets, but the point of the book is to feature homes with the "wow" factor, and I find it a very useful sourcebook for picking out ideas which you could apply to your own home.

If you're searching for a book with photos of your average home done up nicely then this isn't for you, but if you want inspiration from the most fabulous interiors then you can't go wrong with this book. Great photography, and covers a range of styles. I don't agree with the previous reviewer that this focuses on period style. Yes, a number of the homes featured are architecturally period houses, but the designs themselves are very current.
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2009
The date is June 2009 and this book is highly up to date. Lots of very contemporary homes mainly designed by architects and interior designers with good examples of up to the minute ideas. The best thing about this book is the large number of photos with not too much written detail. Just enough so that you know the location and interesting architectural and design features. Since reading this book in June I have refurbished a Victorian House - I referred to this book constantly and although many of the products used in the book are high end luxurious I found that it raised the bar for me and I now have a really fabulous home.
on 18 November 2010
Very attractive books with lots of well taken photos showing off designs and themes of discerning home owners/designers. However the blurb accompanying each home is all too brief. Unfortuntely I found that I did not get a real understanding of each home's theme. In compensation the photos are very well taken and give you plenty of opportunity to think about design aspects to you project no matter or great or small.
on 24 February 2013
You'd think it was easy to find lots of images / inspiration for home decor online, but I haven't found that to be the case. I bought this because the author / editor has a great eye for rooms and for detail. I've used it lots and the price was a far better investment than, say, four interior magazines.
on 21 January 2015
Lovely book at an amazing price. I really enjoy looking at beautiful rooms and houses so I have a few of these type of books and subscribe to Homes and Gardens. I like classical type rooms. Of course these are all houses of the rich so it is a case of adapting what they do to your house. So I have shutters on my bay windows and want eventually to have fitted cupboards either side of my fireplace so I can store things without having to see them (CDs and DVDs etc which to my mind are ugly). Also in these books hardly anyone has a telly! I think they are ugly too - all those wires collecting dust. Again I want mine shut away when I am not using it so it looks tidy. It's going to take a few years to get my flat how I want it.
on 23 July 2009
It is difficult to judge how good an interior design book is when you buy on line. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the print quality of the paperback version. The homes featured in the book are modern and wonderfully inspiring to me who look to improve my home. Super Book - this is a must read modern interior book.
on 11 December 2009
Stunning selection of interiors from around the world. The book is divided into six styles: classic contemporary, eclectic, exotic, cool minimalism, country and opulent. Full of inspiring pictures. Inspirational sourcebook.
on 17 October 2015
I bought several copies of this as presents, over several years. it is excellent - lots of ideas.
on 17 September 2015