5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, I can't wait for Storm
This was a truly enchanting book and I just couldn't put it down. Anyone in need for a well written fantasy should buy ICE. I loved it and so will you. You'll never be able to put it down.
Published on 21 Mar 2002 by Emma Keenan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, badly written
I will start by saying, I did enjoy this book. I found the idea to be very interesting and the characters are likeable and well thought out.

Published on 6 April 2008 by UltimaDeplete

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, I can't wait for Storm, 21 Mar 2002
Emma Keenan (Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, a briliant capture of a fanatsy world!, 14 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)
I was given this book as a birthday pressent and i left it till last, well i finished it in a day. I think that stephen Bowkett has an amazing abillity to capture the feelings that kell, shamra and everyone else, in the book, and give you a real and fantastic idea of what it would be like to live in those times. Hurry up Mr. Bowkett, i want to read the next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely wonderful, 17 July 2001
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)
The author has crammed action and excitement into this book. From beginning to end, the story was interesting and the plot was unpredictable. Bowkett has made the characters understandable. Just in the first chapter you know what living inside the Enclave was like for Kell, that every movement was watched by the All Mother and that you barely had any freedom. Kell, the main character, is determined to escape from the Enclave along with his friend, Shamra. Together, they meet up with other rebels like themselves, who are just as determined as they are to escape. And these people actually have a plan- and they have one chance at it or they are trapped in the Enclave because the All Mother would find them. You follow Kell and Shamra in their exciting journey through the Ice- a place where certain death could just be around the corner. Throughout this book, new characters are introduced, and they each have their own story to tell. If you like fantasies, you should love "Ice" and I highly rcommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars To Be Read Carefully, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)
Perhaps a previous reviewer is confusing spelling errors with the fact that the author invented words for the narrative and adapted other words from Anglo-Saxon sources (for example, the AS for wolf is 'wulf'). The purpose of this was to help to enrich Kell's world of the future. Ice like the other two books in the trilogy are intended for intelligent readers of 11 and upwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 14 Jan 2010
J. Hill (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)
An excellent book with far more depth than you expect when you first begin reading. The narrative and characterisation are fantastic, and the world Stephen Bowkett described is utterly immersive. Well worth a second, third or even fourth read, as each time you revisit the story new layers of complexity and detail are revealed.

Thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, badly written, 6 April 2008
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)

However the book itself is riddled with spelling errors, which I find always makes me take a book less seriously. I also found the plot to be often confusing, not in the subject matter, but it seemed to jump from one idea to another seemingly at random without fully and appropriately fleshing out any of the aspects it introduces. There are also several continuity errors that seem to switch between how much the characters from Perth are supposed to know and how much they seem to know when they are out in the real world.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in the trilogy, however, though I feel that I will enjoy it far more if Bowkett takes the time to adequately explain the concepts he introduces into the story thus giving the story more sense. A little concentration on typing up the books with correct spelling and grammar wouldn't go amiss either.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASIC!!!, 5 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)
Ice was one of the best books I have ever read, and I've read a lot of good books by many different authors. I then went on to read the next in the series, Storm and Thaw, which were just as good, if not better. All in all the Wintering series was the best series I have ever read by far. I even suggested Ice to my Mum and she loved it, and then she went on to Storm straight away. I am going to recommend it to my teacher and friends, who will hopefully enjoy it just as much as me, and I definitely recommend it to you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely amazing, 15 Dec 2004
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)
these genres are so hard to depict from the thousands of books on shelves, but ICE jumped out at me. it was amazing, and i admit, it was a little confusing to begin with and i just wanted to give up, but i pressed on and now i can't wait for the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blower, Cliff Hanger, Thought Inspirer!, 13 Jan 2002
This review is from: The Wintering: Ice (Paperback)
This book was incredibly gripping, and conveyed a real sense of what it would feel like to be in the position of the charaters. Although fantasy it is realistic, and I felt as though I was looking into a possible future - as another ice age is as inevitable as the sun burning out. It will happen, it is just a question of when.
I was sometimes confused, and left with unanswered questions - but perhaps these will be explained in the latter books.

The Wintering: Ice
The Wintering: Ice by Stephen Bowkett (Paperback - 17 May 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01