Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 March 2000
My class and I have read this as a proof and we all thoroughly enjoyed it, to the point that I had to sit up all night to finish it. We are eagerly awaiting the second novel in the series even before the first is published. Dragwena is a thoroughly nasty character but we love her. As for Morpeth. We're glad he met Rachel! We want more soon!
on 12 April 2009
This is one of those books I try to re-read every year, it has been one of my favourites for so long. Rachel and Eric are dragged through to a magic land, ruled by a witch called Dragwena with three jaws, and insects that live in them. the siblings have to discover their own powers in order to save themselves and the servants of the witch.
on 1 February 2001
I especially liked the part in the black sky just after the eye-door and the bit at the end when Dragwena finally unleashes the Doomspell and the part where Morpeth is teaching Rachel how to use magic and the part about the chocolate sandwiches was good and the funny wardrobe with the magic clothes in it.My favourite character was Dragwena.
on 6 January 2001
This is the greatest book since Harry Potter! Rachel and her brother get brought into another world. A world ruled by an evil witch. Rachel discovers she has powers. She can do the things that the witch can do. She also discovers that she is the people of this world's only hope. The Child Hope.
on 16 May 2000
A spellbinding tale full of the most unforgettable characters. You will want to broadcast this book to all your friends. This is a thrilling adventure that had me on the edge of my seat right through to the heartstopping final chapter. Mesmerising language, magnificent story...indelible!
on 19 June 2000
Having read the first half of the book until late into the night, I woke up next morning eager and and excited to find out what happens to Rachel & Eric. It's a long time since a book gripped me so much that I finished it in a single day.
on 3 March 2016
I read this when I was 12. I'd forgotten all about it until I stumbled across this earlier. Within the day I've reread it and ordered the other two books. Loved it as much as a 27 year old as I did as a boy.
on 7 June 2013
As you can tell from my title, I didn't realise it was for kids, I should have read the through the description more carefully. Still it was ok but I think young teens would enjoy it more.
on 4 January 2001
I loved this book! It was ver dark and deep, and mad you think. Cliff McNish knows how to make a good fight scene!! I say that it would make a great movie. Everthing was pictured right.
on 20 January 2016
This book will have the reader, young or old, gripped to the edge of their seat! Fantastic to read on your own or aloud for young ones.