Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 February 2000
You'll be fascinated to hear what Scots people have been up to all this time! This is a GORGEOUSLY illustrated and funny book. A real treat and a great way to get your children involved in history without realising it! I reccommend it to anyone - Scots or not.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2006
1999 Hardcover/Orion Children's Books/TED SMART (The Book People) edition.

From the back cover:

'As fascinating as it is fun to read, here is all of Scotland's exciting and eventful past captured in one colourful, concise and comic volume.
From the Ice Age to the Romans and from Robert the Bruce to Mary Queen of Scots, every page is packed with famous Scottish characters and incidents, and even the Loch Ness Monster makes an appearance.'

Durable board covers open to 33 high quality pages written in a child-appealing way, aimed to make history much more fun.

Colourful illustrations and cartoons throughout, interspersed with 'Top Scot' summary boxes, e.g.:

'Sir William Wallace (1270-1305)
Perhaps Scotland's greatest hero - even though he was eventually defeated after the Battle of Stirling Bridge.
He was captured by the English in 1305 and taken to London where he was hanged, drawn and quartered.'

and bite-size 'Fact boxes', e.g.:

'EDINBURGH
ROYAL MILE
The 17th century writer Daniel Defoe called it `the largest, longest and finest street...in the world'.

Inside cover pages have 2-page spread maps:

one of 'The Lowlands', at the front
&
one of 'The Highlands and Islands' bringing this super book to a close.

The last piece of text, before the one page concise index:

'........No people are prouder of their native land than the Scots, wherever they may live.
In 1997, the London Government finally realised this and asked the Scots whether they wanted their parliament back.
The answer: a resounding.......
'AYE'!.....'

Other titles in the series currently include IRELAND &LONDON
44 comments8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2013
Just before travelling to Scotland, I wanted to get some background info. For anyone who has tried to decipher Scottish history and all of the clans and rivalries and comings and goings, this book was really a great simple way to get the basics. I had also bought several detailed books to read prior to my trip, but reading The Story of Scotland first just pulled all of the names and places together in one cohesive version that worked out perfectly for me, so in reading the other books, it was more of an aha! than a Who-on-earth-is-this-again? (since so many of the more recent characters have multiple titles and, hence, multiple names).
Of course, I am a timeline-friendly type of gal.
And, on the plus side, my 10-year-old son picked it up and read through it, too!
Well done!
on 27 August 2013
I was looking for a book that the kids (5 &7) could read and/ or leaf through while on holiday in scotland. It worked very well: they enjoyed it and we all learnt a few basics on Scottish history in a fun way.
on 9 June 2015
I bought this as a present for the daughter of an American friend who is current passion for the UK. She's only eight but is very interested in almost everything. I previously sent her Richard Brassey's book "Nessie" which she adored, so I figured this book would suit her as well. The problem was that once I received it and read through it myself, I didn't want to give it up. It is a great way to introduce Scottish history to almost anyone. It is concise and straight forward with quite a few funny bits.
on 14 June 2013
Actually purchased this for my partner who is English and who was going on holiday to Scotland but knew nothing of its history. She loved it, saying it was enjoyable to read, but was not too stuffy or boring like reading a text book. Recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I sent this book to my grandchildren in New Zealand so that they could learn a bit about Scottish history. Its great for giving an overall knowledge of where and what happened at different times in our history.
on 13 January 2013
I bought this for my granson who lives in Wolverhampton, and is doing a project at primary school on the history
of Scotland, and he has researched a lot of information from this book, excellent value
on 8 October 2012
The book doesn't feel good and the story and all are told in a not-engaging way.
Sometimes it is a caricature, sometimes a school book of little interest.
Wouldn't buy it again
on 24 July 2013
A fantastic book for the kids to begin to introduce them to Scottish History. It's full of interesting information they'll love and hopefully remember before heading to school.