Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 November 2003
This story is my favourite Christmas read. Every year without fail me dad has read this to my family on Christmas eve. It is a tradition that we all love, even my eldest sister who is now twenty two years old. The story appeals to people of all ages as it reminds you of Christmases may have had as a child, the joy of falling snow, the fun of getting presents that will irritate your parents and friends, and most of all being with the family.

If you have never read this book or any of Dylan Thomas' books then this is a good place to start. I hope that you enjoy reading it yourself or to others as I have done.
on 21 February 2009
I have just read this enchanting little book with my six book club friends. I loved Dylan Thomas's perspicacious descriptions of Christmas and took me back to my childhood when we had lots of snow etc. I have read it several times in the last couple of weeks and it still makes me smile with pleasure at Thomas's wonderful use of words. The illustrations are great fun too. It may be a small book but it is magical to read.
on 10 January 2010
I thought that this book was great and would recommend it to be read to children everywhere. I read it to my class of Year 3 children and they thought that it was funny in places.

Reminded me of all of those wonderful childhood memories of anticipating the arrival of a long awaited Christmas Day.

Fantastic book, it will become a Christmas book to treasure for years within your family.
on 4 February 2009
A Child's Christmas In Wales
A gorgeous little book taking us back to bygone days of fun and simplicity written in Thomas' rich poetic description.
on 31 March 2011
I bought this book as original work by Thomas to provide background for the DVD of A Child's Christmas....Absolutely delightful, Thomas's magical use of language brings the whole experience to life, something one can entirely identify with and re-live one's own childhood Christmases(particularly if of an older generation). The book is beautifully illustrated too. The order was promptly and efficiently despatched. Thoroughly recommended and at a very cheap price. Am looking forward to viewing the DVD although I don't expect it to compare with the written word.
on 4 February 2011
I have many recordings of Dylan Thomas, but this is the best! He is here reading what are perhaps his best poems in his own inimitable style. Likewise, the enchanting short story which gives this compilation its title. It may be a matter of taste, but comparing him with giants of poetry and prose reading like Burton, I still find Thomas reading his own stuff incomparable: which is not a general rule for authors reading their own works rather than actors, rather the reverse.
on 14 June 2012
SUPER STORY AMUSINGLY WRITTEN - LOVELY ILLUSTRATIONS
WELL WORTH EVERY MODEST PENNY IT COST - COULD BECOME A COLLECTORS ITEM.

BUT IT - READ IT - ENJOY IT AND PASS IT ON.
on 14 November 2015
I know I read this many years ago, but failed to appreciate its beauty when still young. I picked it up again and though it’s a very quick read, essentially a poem or piece of short prose, I loved it!

Thomas has a lyrical nature and style that resonates with me, which I appreciate in many of his works. This little book is written in the style of reminiscence, an adult overindulging in his childhood memories. I have no idea how much is anecdotal or simply imaginary, but it evokes a sense of a traditional British Christmas and the delight it offers to a child.

Passages describing the snow, and how the boys pelt local cats with snowballs, and insights into a Welsh Christmas abound, are all written in gorgeous prose and simple beauty.

This book is a gem, a delightful moment to delve into memories, your own or Dylans!
on 17 January 2011
The order was delivered very promptly, and the books ordered were brand new. A Child's Christmas in Wales is by no means for children only - it is very funny, has Thomas' unique poetic expression, and has Ardizzone's delightful illustrations. This Chriatmas I gave copies to both children and adults, all of whom expressed great pleasure in this unusual edition. Several recipients said they were now intending to read more of Thomas' work - hooray! Many thanks.
on 26 November 2013
There's something about Christmas that brings out the nostalgic side. A great read especially in the weeks before Christmas to warm the cockles of your heart. It also demonstrates the hardships if life in a mining community. Really loved it