on 9 December 2008
Wow, what an amazing item. I receaved this fantastic addition to my JK Rowling collection and all I could do was to stare at it.

What can I say apart from if you do treat yourself to anything this christmas then I promiss you, you will not be disapointed. The prints that come with this amazing book are an investment in its self, but the book is somthing that you can always be proud of.

The only advise I would give you is to also buy the normal print of this book. At the moment it is half price with Amazon. As a serius collector I would advise you not open the little copy of the collectors addition and read it because the book is to nice to not treat with respect.

My husband has told me I am not aloud to have it till christmas, gutted. I have opened it but have had to put it back in the box.

Remember that £20 from each sale of the collectors addition goes to the Childrens High Level Group charety and all the proceades of the sale of the normal print book also goes to this charety. So far they have raised over £4m....
on 20 February 2016
I used to own this book but gave it to my younger cousin who is an avid Harry Potter fan and my aunt saw it when she went to the Harry Potter tour. She was so excited to see it and said she really wanted it so I thought I would surprise her. It is a good book and the stories contained are so well written, I would say they are probably more aimed at older children. It has a very hardwearing cover and is a very good read!
on 5 December 2008
I pre-ordered this on 2nd August, and the last two weeks have been the longest wait of my life in terms of books. When i got it, my breath was taken away with how beautiful it was. I won't bore you with details of how it looks as so many others have done this, so i'll concentrate on what is in the book. Firstly, i loved the tales and i will be reading it again, although i will use my standard edition. The characters are all different and seem very real. Although connected with magic and has Dumbledore's thoughts included, it shows she can write other believable characters without mentioning Harry, Ron or Hermoine etc. I found Dumbledore's thoughts to be well written and easily imagined him thinking and saying these things. The footnotes were very informative as well. The clear divide between muggle and wizarding fairytales is not always clear- the only thing seperating them is that the people in the stories have magic and that the females are a lot stronger and grab your attention more.
There is one let down i feel. The last tale "the three brothers" i felt was too short. I have read the last book and have read the tale, but thought that it had been a quick version of it. Then again, if it had been longer, it may have spoilt it. Also, the thoughts at the end of the story i felt ended suddenly. I was expecting to turn the page and see more thoughts, but came to a personal message from baroness nicholson of winterbourne MEP 107 (don't want people to tell me off for using a shortened version of her name!). Although this was good to read, i only wish there had been a conclusion of his thoughts like the other stories. Then again, it makes the reader wonder if he intended to go back to those notes and finish them off- sadly, we'll never know. However, these are two minor complaints and do not affect the enjoyment of the book overall.
JK Rowling still has the power to make people feel hungry for more, and i have once again been caught under her spell. The illustrations in the CE are amazing and shows that she is more than just a writer. Please consider buying this book- if you just want it for the stories, get the standard edition. However, if you want more than the stories and experience the full magic of this book, buy the Collector's edition. I promise that you will not be disappointed. Get it soon because once it's gone, it's gone.
on 31 December 2008
I bought this book for my son for Christmas. I put it in his stocking as it was such a thin little book. After all the hype I think we had both hoped for a little more. The stories are fine but really nothing that hasn't been written before. Having read every Enid Blyton book going as a child (and as a parent!) I can see several of her stories are alarmingly similar. Personally I would rather read Enid Blyton! I know her books are patchy but there are jewels amongst her short stories (The Land of Nod, The Magic Sea...) (and that's before we even start on the Wishing Chair or the Enchanted Wood.)

I think what I am saying is, if you are looking for fairy tales for children there are many better ones to be found. I have a feeling this book will appeal more to the adult Potter readers/collectors than the children. My son (11) is a HUGE Potter fan and an avid reader and he was disappointed really.
Check out the magical stories in Enid Blyton's Red/Blue/Green/Yellow/Bedtime story books and also Mr Pink Whistle! :)
So, at last, here it is. After all the excitement and hype, and after HP fans are feeling withdrawal symptoms, here is the small edition of wizarding fables along with commentary by Dumbledore himself. So, of course, the question is, do they succeed in living upto expectation? Well, yes.
There are 5 short stories and each story has a short commentary by Dumbledore. Personally, I think that the best of the stories are "The Fountain of Fair Fortune" and "The Warlock's Hairy Heart". The latter of these is actually quite a dark story, reminiscent of Grimm's style of fairytale. Yet, despite its darkness, this ability to create such an atmosphere in such a short story really does attest to Rowling's writing skill. Shorter stories are always more difficult, as you do not have the time and space to develop characters, plot, emotions etc, so the fact that she manages this proves her worth.
If I was to have one criticism of this book, however, it would be that I would have liked more! At just over 100 pages long, it was over far too quickly.
on 3 August 2009
I love my copy of this book! It lives on my bookshelf in my living room where everyone can see it! People are always sayin 'Wow whats the book'...an when I show it to them there totaly amazed! If your a person for detail and interesting art this is a definate must have! The detail on the whole design is perfect...Better than what I imagined!
on 13 January 2014
This was a beautiful collection of the wizard equivalent of muggle fairy tales. I wasn't expecting no masterpiece but after hearing/reading "The tale of the three brothers" in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I was intrigued by the other stories that the book mentioned might have possessed. They're short, cute and lead to an enjoyable read.

At the end of each story Professor Dumbledore evaluates each story, sometimes it seems long winded but there's some facts that are interesting.
on 18 December 2014
The Tales of Beedle the Bard has been written and illustrated by J.K. Rowling. It contains five classic children’s stories, aimed at young wizards and witches: The Wizard and The Hopping Pot, The Fountain of Fair Fortune, The Warlock’s Hairy Heart, Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump and The Tale of The Three Brothers.
After each story are notes from Albus Dumbledore from the Hogwarts Archives. The introduction explains that Dumbledore wrote these notes about eighteen months before the events that took place at the top of Hogwarts’ Astronomy Tower.

Each of the tales in The Tales of Beedle the Bard are superb, magical and thought-provoking. They carry moral messages about: kindness, perseverance, vulnerability, tolerance and wisdom. Dumbledore in his notes discusses the stories messages, reveals more about his history and life at Hogwarts.

My only critism of The Tales of Beedle the Bard is that it was too short (at 109 pages). I absolutely loved reading the stories and Albus Dumbledore’s thoughts about them. So J.K. Rowling, just so you know, if you do a More Tales of Beedle the Bard, you’ve got a guaranteed sale from a fan here.

Each copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard that’s sold leads to a donation of £1.61 to Lumos, a charity working to change the lives of disadvantaged children. Lumos was founded by J.K. Rowling after she read about the terrible poverty some children live in.
on 24 April 2015
As a Harry Potter fan, this small story book is a lovely collection of small tales from the wizarding world. If you like short, sweet and snappy books this one would be definitely for you. It is a lovely easy read for children and adults alike. This is a must read for any Harry Potter fans.
on 4 December 2008
I've just finished reading this book, and just have to let people who care for HP (my friends are not fans) know what I think. Before I give my own review of this book I just want to say that I am a huge harry potter fan, to the extent that I actually have a deathly hallows tattoo on my bottom. I'm also quite ill right now, but I fought against my horrid cold to read this book.

I've been really excited about this book coming out, as I too wanted another fix of harry potter. I was delighted when my book came with that familiar harry potter scent to the pages. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed at how quickly I got through the book.

I want to stress that I did enjoy the book, however I do have some criticisms that I'm sure will be torn apart by fellow fans, but I have to get them out.

I'm in my final year of University on a Children's Illustration course and am currently writing a dissertation about fairy tales, which I think may have damaged my reading of this book as I'm used to analysing fairy tales as I go.

Firstly, I need to point out that these are more fables than fairy tales. A fairytales allow you to find your own conclusions, where as a fable instructs you what the correct moral meaning is (the difference between 'The Ant and the Grasshopper'(fable) and 'The Three Little Pigs'(fairy tale), two tales with the same moral meaning but different delivery). When reading these tales it was very clear that JKR was giving a strong moral message, but without the subtlety to allow the reader to find it themselves. The message felt very forced. The tales lacked the sophistication that our own fairy tales hold, and to me, I do not believe they could stand the test of time, like 'Cinderella' and 'Sleeping Beauty'.

I really wish Dumbledore's commentary on the tales had been a little meatier. I could have read much more pages of his analysis (I may be biased as I love reading analysis's of fairy tales, but then what Harry Potter fan can't spen hours reading all the facts of the wizarding world?). While JKR did say that no one knew why Dumbledore wrote down his commentaries, I feel that a man as intelligent as Dumbledore would have had more to say. Humorous as they were, I needed more.

Finally, my most trivial point is about the illustrations. As I said I'm in my final year on a course specifically focused on the illustrations of children's books. While this is JKR's set of stories, and it is for charity, it does make me sad when writers believe the transition from story to image is a simple on. While these are nice simple line drawings, they lack any emotion and memorability.

To sum up, I did love the book and I really hope JKR gives us another gem such as this. But I needed more from this book.
44 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse