5.0 out of 5 stars Much needed sustenance for the modern Business Manager.....
Published on 21 Jun 2006 by Joseph Creswell

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird attempt at selling poetry as aid to capitalism
Published on 8 Jun 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Much needed sustenance for the modern Business Manager....., 21 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul at Work (Paperback)
With little previous experience of poetry I found David Whyte's writing style captivating. His linking poetry to life's experience is magical and he has an uncanny understanding of the many challenges faced in today's business environment. Following my corporate experience and my belief that we are somehow losing site of what really matters, I found this book an inspiration and yes my heart has been aroused.

Although written several years ago and aimed at the United States business sector I found the concepts very appropriate to our current UK corporate environment with it's constant demands and seemingly impossible expectations. The message for me is that perhaps it is time that we start to make the choices that will allow us to better manage the balance between our work and personal lives in order to achieve true fulfilment.

I am sure `The Heart Aroused' would be useful to anyone wanting to explore and understand the deep set feelings and beliefs that modern society encourages us to hide and suppress during our formative years.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have used this book so much! I wish had bought hardback, 20 Jan 2002
I think this book is great to read if you are new to Complexity Theory. My tutor suggested I read this book for my thesis, and I found it to be the ideal starting point. It uses some really useful quotes and metaphors to illustrate. Although you may have to read the first chapter a couple of times to grasp the concept of Complexity, the way the book is written is much easier to read compared to other books on Complexity.
This book gives a nice all-round picture and you can decide on the stuff you would like to learn more about further through other books, unfortunately there is not enough detail in certain parts - but I guess that is to be expected as this book has a wide scope.
Overall I would recommend it as a resonably priced and well written piece of work, which can be referred to again and again for clarification and quotes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A first class introduction to complexity theory, 29 Jan 2001
Artur Battram's Navigating Complexity gives a first class introduction to Compexity theory and is a valuable read for anyone interested in interactions between people, organisations or any systems at all.
The book goes into the language and thinking behind Complexity such as:
Complex adaptive systems Memes Possibility space Fitness landscape Autopoiesis
All of which I now understand. The book is written in a very readible way - with links to all related topics extremely visible - the references are also very useful if you want to explore a topic further.
The ideas in the book are described not as academic but more as common sense - several times while reading Navigating Complexity it helped me put 2 and 2 together and actually get 4.
The book finishes with some very useful advice on what to do now if your appetite for complexity has been wetted - Mine has - roll on Engaging Complexity.

4.0 out of 5 stars A first class introduction to complexity theory, 29 Jan 2001
The book goes into the language and thinking behind Complexity such as:
Complex adaptive systems Memes Possibility space Fitness landscape Autopoiesis

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me put into words how I was feeling, 25 Sep 2001
g.clark@cranfield.ac.uk (Cranfield School of Management, UK) - See all my reviews
I found this collection of writings + comment really helpful for me. David Whyte has an accessible style of writing - he is particularly good at taking well known stories (eg Beowulf) and commenting on their possible meaning. I wasn't impacted by every part of the book, but I wouldn't expect that for this type of writing. I would strongly recommend that people read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, moving book, 20 Sep 2001
By A Customer
It's a while since I read this book, but it still stands out as a valuable, moving book. Essential reading for anyone who is looking to find soul and heart in the workplace.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird attempt at selling poetry as aid to capitalism, 8 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This peculiar, would-be messianic book claims that poetry can and should be used as a means of helping capitalism by bringing employee's souls into the workplace. I'm sure people can sell their souls without selling out the entire Romantic tradition of poetry -- which has seen literature as a refuge from commodification, not as complicit with it -- at the same time. I intend to keep mine, whatever price Whyte may have got for his, and I'm not selling Wordsworth to Bill Gates either.

The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul at Work