5.0 out of 5 stars The best travel book series I have found anywhere!
Published on 13 Jan 2002 by lynnewiese@hotmail.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Rome
Published on 30 Jan 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars The best travel book series I have found anywhere!, 13 Jan 2002
I already own the Mini Rough Guide to London book so I knew exactly which series to look for when I brought a Rome travel guide. The book is very detailed and broken up into different areas of the city. There is a lot of detail about the different kinds of museums, hotels, places to eat, etc. It also has a few useful, easy to read maps in the back of it so you should never lose your bearings in Rome. This book is also small enough to be carried around, fitting easily into your back pocket or handbag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide, 7 Dec 2003
Elizabeth (London, England) - See all my reviews
I've just got back from Rome, and this book was my guide the whole time I was there.
It has enough information within it, to ensure you know the important aspects of the many historical sites. It also has great listings on eating out, and where to stay, and lots of snippets of information that will come in handy. This guide stayed in my ruck sack the whole time I was there (I enhanced the maps at the back of the guide by purchasing a Lonely Planet laminated fold away map - great when it starts to rain).
As for Rome itself, what a beautiful place, I stood in the colleseum on an upper level directly opposite where gladiators would have made their first entrance into the arena, at the start of the many games held there, and read the section from the book to my friend, and a few others were listening in and we all started to talk about what the book has said...so yes, it is worth the purchase, and I would strongly recommend it as a guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide book that fits into your back pocket., 22 Mar 2006
By A Customer
Stacks of information & history in a little A6 (?) book.
The guide book provided a fantastic experience navigating us through the Forum and the Palatine.
Plenty of info on all the areas of the city, the transport system and a handy map section at the back.
I've taken it on my last three visits to Rome and it never disappoints.
On the down side, we didn't have much luck with the featured restaurants.
Please note : Don't buy this guidebook if you want glossy photos. There are only maps, plans and drawings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Rome, 30 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Rome (Paperback)
This was the most disappointing guide book I've ever used. I've just returned from Rome and have spent a long weekend cursing this book! The maps were next to useless (thank God for the freebie map I was given in the hotel). It is incredibly frustrating to try and find somewhere that has been recommended in the book only to find that it either isn't marked on the book's maps or worse is beyond the area covered by the maps! Why tantalise the reader with the promise of something good only to deny them the means of finding it? We stopped trying out the recommended restaurants in this book after two disasters. This book is going to be recycled very fast in this household!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Rome!, 26 Aug 2002
I went to Rome and this book became my best friend! Excellent maps, good guides to the sights and a handy size to keep to hand. Slightly out of date because of the Euro, but I couldn't have done without it on my trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 15 April 2005
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Rome (Paperback)
Just back from 3 days in Rome and it would not have been the same without the Rough Guide. What a source of information. From the history of Rome to the maps to the individual descriptions of each place of interest, it never left my side!! Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but latest version available, 26 May 2008
SHANN "SHANN" (England, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Rome (Paperback)
This was a usful guide to Rome. Only real issue is around restaurants but this is the same with any Lonely Planet/Rough Guide. Either they are no longer there (probably go bust) or they are not as expected. With food I would recommend you look around and dont make a rash choice. Also, try to avoid the main tourist areas for food/drink as you will get ripped off. It seems that there are two price lists... one for tourists and one for locals. Rome is a fantastic city and this book will guide you through well. The latest version is available and is only 6.99 so I think its worth the trade up. The main differences though is mainly around where to stay, eat, drink but if your not too concerned about those and just want a book for the main attractions then this version will hold you in good stead. Also, be careful on the transport system. You may need to pay for a ticket AND then validate it. If you fall foul on this then expect a ticket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to Rome, 14 April 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Rome (Paperback)
Enjoyed the honest opinion and the comments made in the book.

Would have liked to have better outlay of maps and directions.

3.0 out of 5 stars 8 Years Out Of Date, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Rome (Paperback)
This is the first time I've been disappointed with an order. The book was the 2005 version and this was not mentioned at all in the ad and I would never have purchased had I been aware of this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Better, 1 Aug 2011
I'm a huge fan of the RG series and always take them over any other guide book when I travel. This is the first time I have bought the Directions series and it will be my last. RG have really dropped the ball with this. It's not like their normal books. The book is split up into different areas of the city and filled with photos of those areas - the explanations are first class, but the overall feel of the book is like something you'd get from a tourist office. An other thing that I didn't like is that there are very few recommendations for Food & Drink compared to the normal books. The only advantages of the book is that it is slim and easily fits in your back pocket.

The Rough Guide to Rome
The Rough Guide to Rome by Martin Dunford (Paperback - 27 Jan 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01