4.0 out of 5 stars Worth to have
Published on 15 Dec 2008 by Ms. N. Spadavecchia

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide but you can't just rely on this for your trip!
Published on 2 Oct 2008 by R. White

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth to have, 15 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Cape Town, the Winelands and the Garden Route (Paperback)
It's a good starting point for planning your trip and prioritize what you would like to see. There is so much to see and do that everything is not possible over a short period of time and the guide is just perfect to give you an idea of the best not to miss attractions. Do not rely on the few accomodation listings provided though, as some further research will def be necessary (especially in the peak season)when most places are booked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for planning, 2 Feb 2009
Covers the perfect area we're planning to visit - it's a good size (not too bulky, or too small), plenty of up-to-date info too (in fact I think it is the most recent of all the South African guides available today). Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Condensed version, 9 Jun 2009
G. B. Holt (Kent, England, UK) - See all my reviews
I am lucky enough to have visited RSA many times and have many travel books for this area, although many of them are quite old and out of date now. In October I am returning for 5 weeks and will be visiting the Cape area, the Garden Route and the Karoo. This book covers these areas and is a lot smaller and lighter than my other books which cover the whole Country, so is ideal for my needs. It has less fine detail than its larger cousins, but will be a very useful guide for our travels. It could be improved with a few more maps (local and area). Do not buy this book if you are visiting other areas of RSA as you would need to buy other books for those areas and so would be better buying its larger cousin. But, for the areas covered, it is a very useful and informative guide - and will help lighten my luggage load. A very good product - but only for those limited areas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide but you can't just rely on this for your trip!, 2 Oct 2008
R. White - See all my reviews
This is the latest guide on Cape Town & surrounds to be released (Oct 08) and being the most up-to-date makes it a worthwhile purchase. However, I think a lot more could have gone into this guide and the coverage of certain key tourist areas is lacking substantially. Buy this guide but do your own research on the internet to find the best places to stay, bars, clubs and restaurants. Don't just rely on this guide for that! For less than 9 on the web it's worth having, at RRP of 12.99 it's overpriced.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the info you need, 19 Feb 2010
Reliable as I have found rough guides always to be. It was an invaluable aid for our recent 10 day trip to Cape Town.

5.0 out of 5 stars Preparing for our 60th bash, 24 Aug 2009
M. Stolarski "M&Ms" (UK) - See all my reviews
We purchased the book to prepare for our trip to the Western cape to celebrate our 60th birthdays. We have spent time over our meals and coffee breaks reading snippets and checking the location on our map, deciding whether to include the described location on our itinerary. We would have appreciated more information on the Route 62.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide Cape Town & Garden Route, 4 Aug 2009
This guide does all it says and meets the needs of a short term visitor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 18 Feb 2009
I bought this book as it was more recent than the Lonely Planet equivalent and focused on areas I was visiting. It covers Cape Town well enough despite poor use of maps (if you're in the car and need to find a map of an area quickly you have no chance, it could be anywhere in the book, if at all). As for the other areas it was woefully short on detail and the maps are virtually non-existent. What is the point in recommending a place to visit and then not telling you where it is or showing it on a map?? The winelands map was ridicuolusly vague and I found some excellent places to visit along the Garden Route that weren't even mentioned, I know it can't list everything but I expected much more.
I also found the book increasingly unreliable having been disappointed by a number of the recommendations I had followed up on.
Perhaps it's because most of my other travel books are LP but I found this to be a poor guide and would not recommend it.

The Rough Guide to Cape Town, the Winelands and the Garden Route
The Rough Guide to Cape Town, the Winelands and the Garden Route by Barbara McCrea (Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01