on 23 June 2005
My kids being avid readers, it was difficult to know what books to purchase for them, considering the numerous books out there. Particularly difficult is knowing what age a book is suitable for and indeed with more recently published books what genre they belong to and whether my children would be interested.
Despite its size this book contains a wealth of information that answered all my questions and more besides. Even the kids read it to choose which books they wanted.
I have recently passed this book on as my children are now much older and hope that it is as useful to somebody else. I have purchased the teenage version and hope that we have as much fun with that.
Indispensible!
on 25 July 2002
I bought this book to help me with the children's literature part of my primary PGCE course, and it has been invaluable. It is also useful for my own kids, as they can decide if a book they fancy reading is worth buying, before they've actually bought it. I would thoughly recommend this book.
on 7 November 2009
This is a really helpful guidebook. I discovered many new books for my boy - and rediscovered a lot from my own childhood that I had forgotten. It's a shame it's out of print / out of date, but many of the books are timeless so grab a copy of the guide while you can!