5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable account of travelling in Peru in the 80s
Published on 2 Mar 2007 by James Christie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read - but a bit out of date
I brought "Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru" with me to Peru this summer.
The book is well-written and a good read, as the other reviewers have written. However, I found the book a bit outdated - it is (almost) 15 years ago, Mr Parris visited Peru, and the country has come a long way since. Especially in the last decade.
This does not make the book bad per...
Published on 11 July 2004 by Ulrik Groenborg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable account of travelling in Peru in the 80s, 2 Mar 2007
James Christie (Perth, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
Initially I was reluctant to buy this book because I was looking for books about contemporary Peru when I first went there in 1997. Inca Kola was written in the late 80s, when Peru was on the verge of collapsing into chaos and civil war, and the political situation was completely different from now or even the late 90s. I thought a book from the 80s would be hopelessly dated.

However, I eventually bought it after my third trip to Peru, and found it to be a delightful account of visiting a country I'd come to know a little, and love a lot.

Yes, some things have changed dramatically since Parris's trip. The political and security situation is far, far better, but serious poverty, inequality and racism remain. So much of what Parris writes about is instantly recognisable. Peruvian culture won't change in a hurry and neither will the people - warm, incredibly hospitable and nosy, utterly cavalier and irresponsible in dealing with regulations and authority.

Much of Parris's book is timeless, and most of the rest is a fascinating account of visiting Peru at a time when no sensible tourists wanted to go there. It's a delight to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must if you're going to visit Peru, 23 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
This is a very good book and a must if you're going travelling to Peru. Matthew Parris and three of his friends go on a Peruvian adventure. Nothing is planned and they're are encountered in some interesting and some hilarious situations. Parris does a great job in portraing current day Peru in a very entertaining manner. I found it very readable, very entertaining, but more importantly it gave me an insight on what to expect and the do's and dont's when I visit Peru. If you want to read anything about current day Peru, read this book first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read - but a bit out of date, 11 July 2004
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
I brought "Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru" with me to Peru this summer.
This does not make the book bad per se - it is still OK.
I recommed the book "The Gringo Trail" as an better, new, alternative read. It covers more countries than "just" Peru, but is just as witty and thought-provoking.
Or you can do like me, and buy them both;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Thought provoking and funny too., 20 Aug 2003
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
What a life this man has had! This great little book is jam packed full of travel genre scrapes and adventures, historical and cultural insights and bizarre recollections from the author. A wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel fun, 7 Jun 2003
C. Goff (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
When I decided to go and work in Peru, I looked for every book available about the country. In 1996, this involved a lot of really dire stuff about Sendero Luminoso, the horrible terrorists that had been recently shut down. This book was a notable exception.
The book chronicles a trip through Peru by a group of fun-loving, adventurous, culturally reflective guys. It is funny, irreverent, and respectful. Think of it as a Tim Cahill type of book. It is a great read, and gives a very positive perspective on the truly wonderful people of Peru, as well as some of the difficulties endemic to traveling there. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe inspiring..., 16 Mar 2004
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
'Inca Kola' is an infusion of fascinating description and humour. You find yourself travelling alongside Matthew Parris & his companions as you become immersed in this exhilarating traveller's tale.
I found myself so absorbed in Parris' journey, that I am inspired to travel around Peru myself. One of the most enchanting stories i've had the pleasure of reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Peru twenty years on, 9 Mar 2009
Mrs. Je Carmichael "JaneyC" (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
I read this book while travelling in Peru, and found it very interesting to compare my experience with that of the author and his friends. Many things have not changed an iota, from the people's love of Inca Kola to the crazy markets laden with every type of potato and maize you could ever need. I enjoyed comparing my trip with Matthew Parris' journey - life as a backpacker is pretty easy now compared to some of the things they underwent, and I'm glad I didn't have to squeeze into a lorry and get covered in oil. It was fun to examine travelling in another era at the same time as I was appreciating the benefits of internet, clean hostels and comfortable transport. Definitely worth a read if you are thinking of heading to Peru or South America, and good for me when I feel like I want to conjure up my travels once more.

4.0 out of 5 stars No politics please, I am British., 28 Oct 2014
Ce Moore - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
A very good read. M.Parris is a good writer and his story is both enjoyable to read and informative about Peru. The only criticism that I could throw at the author ( and it may not even be justified if M. Parris had decided that it has no part in his story ) has to do with him being a politician, a Tory, who travels in a very poor third world country but never confronts his own politics or say much about how his values may have been changed by his experience in Peru.

Otherwise, the book is a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a journey!, 16 Mar 2014
B. A. Donnelly (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
I enjoy Matthew Parris's writing and this is no exception. I was with the 'lads' for the journey and absorbed the sights and sounds but most of all the smells. I hope they all recovered quickly from their deprivations and adventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetic Parris, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru (Paperback)
Slightly dated now, I guess, but well-written, with luscious phrasing, humour and empathy. Matthew Parris is a most engaging commentator.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru
Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru by Matthew Parris (Paperback - 5 Aug 1993)