5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy conclusion
Published on 20 April 2004 by Red

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this book!
This is a NO-star (zero -nil) book!
Published on 18 Mar. 2002 by Lars Berthelsen

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy conclusion, 20 April 2004
Red (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Destiny (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
This book is a suitable conclusion to the trilogy, mixing high drama andvery personal story lines into a believable whole. Haydon has alreadyshown that she is willing to kill off key characters, so make noassumptions about who makes it through to the end! This book finally tiesoff all the themes which have been recurrent through out the trilogy,covering 1400 years of strife and unhappiness on behalf of the displacedCymrians, involving dragons, monsters, and a power of song so great it canovercome anything. I'd recommend reading the other two books first though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Marginally over-engineered, but nonetheless enjoyable, 5 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Destiny (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
Destiny is a mostly fitting conclusion to this excellent trilogy; there is an evolution in the story from book to book which works well. In the first book we are introduced to the core characters and Haydon invests valuable time in their characters and relationships - and in our feelings for them. In the second she began to weave in the much bigger picture of their new world and all the threads and prophecies come together well in the third.

This third volume is a rewarding but slightly frustrating read. I found myself rooting for the characters when they were in danger, found myself seething with anger at injustices, frustrated when they were thwarted and thrilled when they succeeded. There are some extraordinary battle scenes, a well-developed world, intriguing (and sometimes slightly dark) heroes and much besides. Haydon has been extremely ambitious, and successful, in establishing her world (possibly with a view to further novels in the same setting).

In her attempts to create such a deep, broad and rewarding tale I do think Haydon has slightly over-engineered this final instalment, especially towards the end of the novel. She has, in my opinion, fallen into the trap for fantasy authors of creating characters that are too powerful. There seems to be nothing that Rhapsody in unable to do, ditto Achmed, Grunthor, Ashe and numbers of others. It became difficult to conceive of an enemy who could challenge such an array of heroes and in the process much of the tension vanishes.

And so it proves. The battle with the demon becomes a footnote, rather than a thriling denouement to the trilogy, and instead the novel ends with a less than satisfying contrived finale with characters whose involvement had previously been minimal. I had so much enjoyed so much of the trilogy that I felt a bit cheated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this book!, 18 Mar. 2002
Lars Berthelsen "Blues" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This is a NO-star (zero -nil) book!
I liked the first two books: Rhapsody and Prophecy. They had that little extra to make them stand out in the bulk of fantasy lying on shelves and tables all around,and I was really looking forward to Destiny. BUT!This is a total timeconsuming waste of paper.The book lost me after a few pages although I had to read it 'till the end because it was bound to improve.
NOOO way!
Ryle hira (the Ancient Lirin saying) and probably a little bit better without this book.
An estimated 2/3 of the book is "outtakes" from Rhap. and Prop., and every dream and prophecy is repeated 'ad nauseum' which breaks the book's momentum. The plot is not strong enough to hold the 500plus pages since we (those who read the first two books) can guess the outcome, and I really can't find the "triumphant conclusion to the Rhapsody trilogy" mentioned on the jacket...
Conclusion: Enjoy Rhapsody and Prophecy - two fine books.
Destiny: Save your money - you will not miss anything - and go for Flewelling, Gentle, Wurtz or others...

5.0 out of 5 stars Indeed a triumphant conclusion! Treat yourself to it, 11 May 2002
By A Customer
This was a SPECTACULAR book and, if anything, it raced along in comparison to the methodical world-building of the first two.
In this volume. you fnally learn the identity of the hidden demon, and it's a shocker. You discover who the mysterious Meridion is and what he is doing, and that's a bit of one too. The plot threads begun in the first two books are woven together expertly and unpredictably; just when you think you know who it is that is going to die, you discover how wrong you are. It was like riding a snapping roller coaster.
I LOVED THIS BOOK. It was BRILLIANT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 July 2014
Very welcome gift

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had the skills of the author to describe this book, 29 Jan. 2002
It is a good thing there is going to be a fourth book because while this one settles the 'current affairs' it sets the scene for further possible stories. The Three are refreshingly reluctant but brave in fulfilling thier 'Destiny'
I must confess that when it comes to the romance aspects of novels I tend to be very superficial about the hero and heroin's appearence, this has cured me of that because I love Achmed and I hope to see more of him...hopefully getting some of the 'things' (I don't want to give anything away) he would have had if not for Meridion's meddling (however neccesary)...thats all I'm saying ;o)
***Thank-you Elizabeth Haydon for letting me into such a wonderful world!

Destiny (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Destiny (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Elizabeth Haydon (Paperback - 12 Sept. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01