4.0 out of 5 stars More brilliance from PKD
Some of Dick's novels are my favourite books, but short stories were where he truly excelled. The whole five-part series of his Collected Short Series is brilliant, and this fourth installment doesn't disappoint. You can really see a progression between the short stories and some of his later novels that drew inspiration from them.
The neat freak in me is slightly...
Published on 28 July 2005 by Matt Gibson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, shame about the proof-reading
This is a great collection of fast-paced engaging stories from Philip K Dick that I chose for my first Kindle purchase. It's a shame that this Kindle edition is riddled with single-letter spelling mistakes that seem to have resulted from an automated text scan of the original and were not corrected.
Published on 30 May 2012 by Duncan147

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars More brilliance from PKD, 28 July 2005
This review is from: Minority Report (Collected Short Stories of Philip K. Dick) (Paperback)
The neat freak in me is slightly annoyed that the cover is completely different to the others in the series though, especially when it's only been done to tie in with the film.
A great book to dip into now and then when your brain is too tired to digest an entire novel!

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT the book of the film - but still genius, 24 Feb. 2003
Let's get one thing straight first of all - the only reason that this book is awarded four and not five stars is because of the misleading nature of its cover design. If, like me, you are investing in this because you thoroughly enjoyed the film and want to check out the author, you will be in for a bit of a shock - Minority Report is actually a SHORT story and the movie bears little or no resemblance to it. Anyone expecting a novel-sized read mirroring the plot and suspense of the Tom Cruise blockbuster will initially be disappointed.
However the disappointment won't be for long. This book is in fact a collection of nine Philip K Dick short stories, every one of them supremely imaginative, thought provoking and utterly engrossing futuristic fantasies. As well as Minority Report - ironically, possibly the weakest of the nine - there is "The Electric Ant", about a man discovering he is in fact a robot; "Oh! To Be A Blobel", a heartbreaking tale of inter-alien relationships; and "War Game", chartering the children's toy market sometime in the distant future. Also included is "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale", "The Impostor" and "Second Variety" which were made into the films "Total Recall", "The Impostor" and "Screamers" respectively.
What made the late Philip K Dick such a genius is not just the unique, Earth-shattering situations in which he places his characters, but the characters themselves. Despite being aliens, or on other planets, or in the future, they encounter the same passions, problems and emotional traumas that we do here in the early 21st Century. A perfect introduction to the world of Dick, ignore the fact that this is not 'the book of the film' and prepare to be immersed in the best science fiction writing of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - these stories are superb, 1 Oct. 2002
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Minority Report (Audio Cassette)
I think it is a crying shame that Philip K Dick did not live to see just what an impact his stories have made - we all know about 'Androids ..' becoming the Bladerunner classic sci-fi film that has in my opinion never been beaten. What this collection of stories contains is no less than three stories that have been made into films - and successful ones at that
The obvious one is Minority Report, but We Can Remember It Whole Sale' which was made into 'Total Recall' and another one that was made into 'Screamers'. These stories pack a punch that many, more ponderous, sci-fi stories cannot match, summoning up a vision of a world where fascist type government bodies control, or attempt to control the population. And when you look at the discussion on privacy laws, email snooping today you see the beginnings of a similar type of society. I recommend the audio book version of this book as Keir Duller brings a gravity to the stories, especially if you contrast the bleakness of the vision of Dick against the optimisism of Clark in 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Sci-fi on high class audio., 26 Feb. 2003
Kaye L. Elling "K_0" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Minority Report (Audio Cassette)
This is simply one of the best audio books I have ever heard. Not only are these short stories unabridged, and can thus be enjoyed in all of their hard hitting, thought-provoking glory, but the delivery itself is of a very high standard.
Some people can see past a mediocre narrator or shoddy sound recording, though I am not one of them. I expect a great deal from every aspect of an audio book, and with Minority Report, I was not disappointed. Keir Dullea gives a great performance in his narration of the stories, he has a pleasant voice and low key approach which doesn't distract from the narrative, and the sound recording itself is clear and free from pops and crackles and jarring edits heard in so many audio books today.
The five stories themselves, which include We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (on which the film Total Recall was based) and Second Variety (inspiration for the film Screamers) are simply fantastic. Whether you are a fan of Sci-fi or are more interested in hearing a thoughful story well told, you'll not regret buying this tape, and will listen to it again and again. I know I will.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, shame about the proof-reading, 30 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A little niggle perhaps., 21 Feb. 2011
I'm torn on how to review this.

Positive - The book is amazing, which is why I'm giving
it five stars.

Negative - There are spelling mistakes in the text.
This maybe a little niggle and in the case of free
ebooks I completely understand.

If I pay for a book I expect the spelling to be
correct.

In conclusion

Book = good

Publisher (I presume Gollancz) = Bad

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection (Part 4), 1 Mar. 2011
As a fan of the work of Philip K Dick, I love this complete collection of his short stories (of which this is the fourth of 5 volumes).

This volume covers PKD's short stories from late 1954 through to 1963. As with any collection of this kind, where all an authors short stories are collected, the quality can vary. However, to my mind even when PKD is not at his best he is still well worth a read (and at his best he is among the very best).

As well as the stories you get some interesting introductory material and some helpful notes.

The stories contained in this volume are:

"Autofac"
"Service Call"
"Captive Market"
"The Mold of Yancy"
"The Minority Report" (which the movie Minority Report is based on)
"Recall Mechanism"
"The Unreconstructed M"
"Explorers We"
"War Game"
"If There Were No Benny Cemoli"
"Novelty Act"
"Waterspider"
"What the Dead Men Say"
"Orpheus with Clay Feet"
"The Days of Perky Pat"
"Stand-By"
"What'll We Do with Ragland Park?"
"Oh, to Be a Blobel!"

"A useful acquisition for any serious SF library or collection" -- Kirkus

"The collected stories of Philip K. Dick is awe inspiring". -- The Washington Post

"More than anyone else in the field, Mr. Dick really puts you inside people's minds". -- Wall Street Journal

The other four volumes in this collection are:

Beyond Lies The Wub: Volume One Of The Collected Short Stories
Second Variety: Volume Two Of The Collected Short Stories
The Father-Thing: Volume Three Of The Collected Short Stories
We Can Remember It For You Wholesale: Volume Five of The Collected Short Stories

If you are new to Philip K Dick's work I would also recommend the novels (which generally seem to be regarded as among his best):

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?: The novel which became 'Blade Runner' (S.F. Masterworks)
Ubik (S.F. Masterworks)
A Scanner Darkly (S.F. Masterworks)
The Man In The High Castle (S.F. Masterworks)
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (S.F. Masterworks)
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said (S.F. Masterworks)

That said, as with the short stories, though some of PKD's works are better than others, to my mind they are all well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gnostic 'other-ness' abounds!, 27 May 2013
I spent most of Sunday reading this extraordinarily absorbing tome, and found myself in equal measures, both bewildered, beguiled, assaulted, distressed, and freaked-out by the man's prodigious talent to zealously probe at the moist, jell-like folds of my mind, playing merry hell with all the giddy synapses therein. Even today my blurred, harried cerebellum remains ablaze with PKD's Gnostic 'other-ness'.

I genuinely adore short stories (my favorite literary medium): Poe, Bloch, Howard, Blackwood, Matheson, Leiber, Sheckley, Sturgeon, Lovecraft, Bradbury, Doyle, Carver, Ballard, Ashton-Smith, Asimov (the list is vast)...but something about these specific explorations into the maudlin weird, REALLY struck a deep, emotional chord with me; I found them to be truly inspirational works, replete with breath-taking vision, and fearsome originality.

I haven't been so wholly absorbed by another human's intellectual musings since Hubert Selby's Jr's coruscating exegesis 'The Room' which unsettled me for a good few weeks after reading it. PKD's limber, effervescent tales are incredibly taut, potent affairs; many of these righteous yarns expose the soft, pallid underbelly of the human condition; painfully tweaking at the oh-so fragile membranes of our psychic inner sanctum with great wit, sensitivity, and unerring prescience.

His word play is so utterly assured and rigorous, that I genuinely began to mourn for the myriad misfortunes of his desperate, beleaguered characters; empathizing fully with their grim, scrabbling half-lives upon a barren, apocalyptic earth; whose ignominious, inevitable collapse into miserable entropy made for truly harrowing reading. (Which, paradoxically, made them utterly spellbinding, and impossible to put down)

'Oh, to be a Blobel!' is a bravura piece of satire. I can't think of any other author that could get me to feel so much empathy for this poor sod's cruel, intra-species malaise. It is also extremely rare indeed that I enjoy every story in an author's collection, and that, of itself, made this magnificent tome that more special to me. (and definitely one too cherish!)

Almost as if responding to the eerie, plaintive, precognitive bidding of some ancient oracle, I immediately added his remaining collected short stories to my ever-burgeoning Amazon list, and I plan consume them all with equal alacrity. Ye gods! I'm positively insensate with psychotronic anticipation!

4.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic philosopher, 19 Sept. 2014
Mr. Timothy W. Dumble (Sunderland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Another inspiring collection which is a fitting tribute to the breathtaking eclecticism that is the mind of PKD. The philosophical diversity of the material is impressive with themes covered ranging from: justice, thought control, xenophobia, celebrity culture, megalomania and the power of the media.

The culture of celebrity is tellingly explored in ‘The Mold of Yancy’ and ‘Novelty Act’. Dick hilariously indulges in some navel gazing in ‘Waterspider’ paying homage to some of the greats of the genre. Whilst in ‘Orpheus with Clay Feet’ he explores the difficulties of the science fiction writer to be taken seriously from the perspective of time travel.

Justice – its determination and administration- is thoughtfully explored in the eponymous ‘The Minority Report’ and the Unreconstructed M’.A recurrent theme is the misuse and abuse of the media to produce an anodyne civilian population or to misrepresent history e.g. ‘If There Were No Benny Cemoli’. Cold war McCarthyism is clearly present in ‘Explorers We’ and the ‘Days of Perky Pat’ which both examine the theme of us and them and what it means to belong.

Personal favourites are ‘Captive Market’ in which an enterprising time traveller is able to take lucrative advantage of a parallel universe and ‘Service Call’ in which a passive humanity voluntarily opts for the comfort of thought modification.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, terrible Kindle, 24 Dec. 2011
This is a collection of classic Philip K Dick and the way that the stories overlap to create an interconnected future world is really interesting, reading a collection of short stories written at different times. He clearly had a complex and detailed view of how we might be in the future. BUT the Kindle rendering of this classic is a great dishonour to such a sophisticated book. I suspect that the digitisation process was automatic and has not been checked. The same nonsense replacement words again and again, poorly interpreted fictional names, words concatenated or separated erroneously. In a couple of the stories it actually got in the way of my enjoyment of reading, the frequency of mistake was so high. So I rate this high but to be clear, Kindle gets none of the stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Minority Report (Collected Short Stories of Philip K. Dick)
Minority Report (Collected Short Stories of Philip K. Dick) by Philip K. Dick (Paperback - 11 May 2000)
Used & New from: £1.08