5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great SF books (is it a novel?) of all time!
I first read this book in 1972 or thereabouts and was immediately entranced by the author's beautiful style and the story which is, at once, gripping and romantic. It is a novel made up of shorter stories held together by a common thread. The technology of the stories is of course "retro" and is created for an England which has a very different history from...
Published on 20 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Linked stories rather than a novel
I wanted to like this. It has been compared to Philip K Dick's Man in the High Castle, but really the two are poles apart. Firstly, this does not read like a novel, and is actually a series of stories set against the 'alternate history' backdrop. There is sometimes only a tenuous link between the stories, but this in itself doesn't spoil the book. There are some...
Published on 23 Sep 2011 by Archy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Pavane (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
The idea of an alternate, catholic world is very interesting but very poorly written.
Keith Roberts descriptive language is long-winded and bumbling to the point of being confusing and often left me wondering what on earth was going on.
It seemed to me to be a collection of short stories describing the characters lives as opposed to a story about a rebellion.
I'm not even curious to know what happens at the end. It's not for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but I didn't get the big deal..., 17 April 2001
R. Derieux (Ann Arbor, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pavane (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
It had some great chapters/stories, but I did not feel it all came together into any type of cohesive story. I guess I will have to read it again...

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't see what the fuss is about..., 6 Jun 2011
Mr. S. Wilkinson (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pavane (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
After reading and enjoying a wide range of books in the Masterworks series, I found this one entirely forgettable.

It contains some interesting concepts but the story failed to grasp my imagination and I found it hard to stay awake while reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars how to drive your own train, 19 Nov 2003
M. Partyka "bonus_maciek" (York UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pavane (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
Despite rave reviews I found it quite boring, especially the first part is a train driver's manual with lots of technicalities I could not find relevant. Eeven SF writers of the 50s did not get so much carried away by technology.
The idea is quite good but perhaps because I'm not English, I found the execution a bit tiring at times and plot development uneven (very slow pace at the outset of each part and towards the end speeding up like TGV train if you forgive the pun).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Pavane (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Pavane (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Keith Roberts (Paperback - 9 Nov 2000)
6.39