5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Any Time
"Star Maker", by Olaf Stapledon, is an incredible novel by an author whose contributions to science fiction are unique and serve as inspiration to many of the greatest works in the field. It was Stapledon's fourth novel and was first published in 1937. Narrated by the same voice as narrated "Last and First Men" the novel is a sequel of sorts, but at the same time it has...
Published on 29 April 2010 by Dave_42

2.0 out of 5 stars imaginitive, well written, but not involving
I read this because it got such good reviews as an iconic book. It is about a chap who stands on a hillside contemplating our little world and finds himself projected through space and time to many different worlds, experiencing the beginning and end of galaxies, meeting the Starmaker, creator of everything. It's well written: "One night when I had tasted bitterness I...
Published on 28 Jan 2010 by Florence

5.0 out of 5 stars ramblings of a mad man (my review that is 😁), 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I read some good reviews for this book,so I bought it straight away.I have read a few of these sf masterworks.Anyway,was bit to far fetched...peeps consciousness flying through space to different worlds etc I read half then ditched it.I might finish I might not it didnt grab me....but I will say this olaf has some good concepts but I get the impression he just sat up in bed one night thinking ,wow I have a great idea for a book and he just wrote it all down as fast as he could.But to his credit the book was wrote ages ago so am not sure he had any authors to hone his skills off . Obviously today Baxter, Reynalds,Meaney,Banks😭 all had previous sifi to abosorb, so they could read clarks etc and get a good idea how a book should be wrote.Olaf prob only had a couple to read and it shows, I think....Look for a couple of pounds if you like it or you dont, for the price doesnt really matter

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome: ADJECTIVE, extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring awe, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
The synopses of Science Fiction books these days often refer to breathtaking scope, epic breadth of imagination and grand visions. It's almost a cliche and doesn't really mean anything because this kind of reference has just become a generic term used to make a novel sound good. I think this novel is truly deserving of such a description, because it attempts to take a look at the meaning of life itself.

The perspective of the writer is from the build-up to the second world war and he tries to explore societies to understand their warring behaviours. Then the novel moves beyond this petty behavioural characteristic and moves on to try and understand the nature of people, societies, worlds and beyond as subjects of their environment, psychologies and biologies. He explores concepts of motivation and its relationship with evolution, self improvement, exploration, introspection, community, symbioses and specialisation.

This novel is quite hard going as it is so rich with challenging concepts. I read the first third, and then completed the novel by using a free trial to Audible and listened to it on my phone. I would really recommend consuming this book in that way. It went from being a novel that I knew was good, but found difficult to find time to read, to an audio book that I listened to at every available opportunity.

Definitely one to read before you die. Also, the questions it asks and explores are truly valuable to ones own daily life and considerations of ambition, friendships, motivation, challenges, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative masterpiece, 20 July 2013
This book is an outstanding expression of human imagination that here reaches every corner of the universe, in any time, following the material and spiritual evolution of all its creatures, and of the "Star Maker" itself. Considering the spiritual depth of this work and how much sense a lot of things here described make, I'd bet the author had some mystical satori-like inspiration in which he instantly "experienced" most of the things he wrote about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a story but a description, 21 Jun 2013
Dr. Michael J. Atkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
A stunning book not easy to read (partly because of the translation??) but stick with it. You will see almost every sci fi story and film you have ever read or seen in here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great SciFi, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
This book is the antithesis of most science fiction writing being more a thought provoker than an exciting tale of derring do.

Strongly recommended for those thinking about the meaning of life and mankind's position in the universe.

4.0 out of 5 stars NB spoiler alert, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
The intro gives away parts of the story but if you ignore or avoid this it is a cracking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most idea rich books I have read, 29 Nov 2012
This is a book of ideas about intelligent life and humanity; the tiny pettiness of individuals and what we could be. Stapledon writes beautifully, in my opinion, however I can see how many find his style and use of lexis difficult (especially if you aren't fascinated by his ideas). He has a PhD in philosophy and this comes across in his writing, this is not a a fast paced action novel and certainly doesn't read like a standard novel (neither does his other great work "the first and last of men"). He uses the freedom of writing fiction to keep the ideas coming thick and fast without becoming bogged down in justifying them.

I cannot recommend this book more highly, it is not just a sci-fi novel, it's a book which will really make you think about the infinite, fragile, futures of humanity. There's a reason why so many of his so many of his contemporaries (many who have made huge cultural impacts) rate him so highly, you owe it to yourself to find out why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 21 Mar 2012
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
Highly recommended for science fiction fans!
It is a captivating book, the protagonist goes through the Milky Way and other galaxies and discovers other worlds

5.0 out of 5 stars star maker, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I had read this book years ago and returned to it with pleasure some good descriptions of lifeforms such as the living tree lifeforms and the swiftian tale of the boat whale creatures deriving their status in life from what ever side you entered the water from
a bit obscure and preaching at the end but good

5.0 out of 5 stars Stapeldon - not just an SF author., 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I decided to re-read Olafson when I discovered I'd read all the books in my bookcase. I first read First and Last Men some 40 years ago at university and was amazed. But imagine what it was like to read Starmaker after HGW and Aldiss - not that they aren't good but Olafson takes the reader to a different level. This isn't just science-fiction; this is pure philosophy. I remember the thrill when I was young of reading something whick shook the very core of my 1960s Woodstock-mind. Yes, by all means read Kant, Popper and Russel but Stapeldon takes you vivdly into a voyage of the imagination which allows you to re-consider the world around you and begin to criticise the workings of our mundane existence. It allows us to believe that things could be different if only our leaders were to consider what could be done with a little thought and lateral thinking.

Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Olaf Stapledon (Paperback - 11 Nov 1999)
5.59