5.0 out of 5 stars Hook line and sinker !
Published on 21 Sep 2007 by Mr. I. Finney

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat dated space-crime romp - good fun though.
When Harry Harrison died recently, I decided that I really ought to reacquaint myself with his most famous creation, Slippery Jim diGriz, AKA The Stainless Steel Rat. I actually first came upon the character while reading 2000AD in which the excellent Carlos Ezquerra rendered Jim in the style of James Coburn. That version remained with me when I decided to try the written...
Published 24 months ago by Crookedmouth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hook line and sinker !, 21 Sep 2007
Mr. I. Finney "cyberfyn" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stainless Steel Rat: The Stainless Steel Rat Book 1 (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book back in the early 80's when I was 8 years old. It was given to me by my very clever english teacher. I was a slow reader and was failing in my reading and written work. He asked me what sort of films I liked to watch and gave it to me the next day. I read the whole book over one summer weekend, and can say that Harry Harrison and Slippery Jim saved my life. From being a potential loser to running my own successfull business. Thanks Harry and also to my late english teacher Mr Church. They don't make like they used to. When I gushed to him on the following Monday he said to keep the book and wrote on the inside "I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you." I later found out it's a quote by George Bernard Shaw.

So, If you have a friend (adult or child) who you think would benefit like me. This is the perfect book (and series) to do the job. Flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slippery Jim DiGriz - His role in my downfall, 24 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This is it. This is the very first science-fiction book that was given to me to read at the tender age of 11. How was I to know that the dog-eared and tatty paperback leant to me would lead to an addiction spanning twenty years. There should have been a warning on it saying "Danger: Reading this may lead to becoming an anally retentive spotty teenager, in turn becoming a terminally sad train-spotting adult with no friends." Seriously though, I loved this book and all the resulting others. The adventures of super crook Slippery Jim DiGriz, Angelina his doting yet psychopathic wife and then James and Bolivar, their twin sons, have kept me entertained throughout my reading life. "The Stainless Steel Rat" was the first book in this series (there are prequels, but this WAS the first) and like any fine classic, it lays the foundations for all the others. It tells how super criminal DiGriz becomes the super agent for the Special Corps and why Angelina is so beautiful yet so criminally insane. I could tell you more, but that would give the whole book away. Just read and enjoy. Harry Harrison is certainly a diverse and talented author and has produced many fine books away from the "Rat" series as demonstrated in the superb "West of Eden" epic fantasies, the "Hammer and the Cross" books, plus many, many others. If I could, I would sue Mr Harrison for all my wasted teenage years spent alone in my room reading his well spun tales instead of wrestling with rampant females in the back seats of cars and fumbling with the intricacies of their sheer and scanty undergarments. I curse you Harrison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Aug 2006
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I remember this as a comic strip in 2000AD, when I was a nipper - that's the reason I first bought this book (many years ago) - what a cracking book it is (even though as a rule, I'm not a science fiction fan when it comes to books).
This book is like a Sci Fi mix of the Dirty Dozen, James Bond & Monty Python(read it & you'll see).It combines action, humour & adventure in one really enjoyable bundle.
The adventures of Slippery Jim, intergalactic criminal,caught & then recruited to the "right" side of the law - just marvellous.
Well written, fast moving , thrilling & funny - a great mix, a smashing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, 20 Aug 2012
I remember Slippery Jim from my youth, and it was a real pleasure to re-read this.

It's not long. It's funny, in a zany kind of way.

Don't take it too seriously; just grab a few hours in the sun and chortle at the exploits of one of the all time, non-violent, thieves in the SF pantheon.

Is it great literature? No.

Is it worth reading? Absolutely, if you fancy a light bite of wise-cracking, bank-robbing, battleship-stealing mayhem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with slippery Jim, 1 Jan 2011
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was great nostalgic fun. A collection of three Stainless steel Rat stories. These are often witty and basically it is just a fun and enjoyable read. The artwork is black and white and quite basic but it still does a good job. Angelina looks pretty foxy.
Occasionally a panel goes across the page and it can be quite hard to read. Also there is some repetition as the storyline often gets explained at the start of each chapter. It can be a bit simplistic with things happening very quickly.
My favourite was the second story, it is quite a funny and original time travel story.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE RAT TRIUMPHANT, 27 Oct 2010
Himaggery (Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I read these originally when I was a kid in 2000AD and as soon as I saw this compilation I couldn't resist. Enjoyable for people of all ages and at a great price.
Adapted from the Harry Harrison novels of the same name, they are great fun and an easy read for a lazy evening. A few liberties are taken with the stories as should be expected but it does not detract in any way. It's just such a shame 2000AD didn't also do The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (My favourite novel) and The Stainless Steel Rat Wants you, but you can't have everything.
My only gripe and the reason for the 4 Star rating is because the first story had scenes depicted across a two page spread and because this compilation is far thicker than the original comics, they cannot be opened wide enough to read the writing that sometimes overlaps the page. They should have thought about that.
Great Fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast From The Past, 12 Sep 2010
Every week as a teenager I would wait patiently on a Saturday morning for my copy of 2000AD to be delivered. This book brings back memories of those days in the early 1980's. Three comic adaptations from the novels by Harry Harrison which have faithfully been converted. By no means the one of the best serials but it did leave a mark and encouraged me to read the actual novels. A good buy for any 2000ad fan past and present

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate cool - Jim diGriz, 24 Jan 2000
By A Customer
More of a way to live your own life than paper back fiction anti-hero, Harry Harrison through his alter ego, Sliipery Jim diGriz, manages to liberally twist ethics beyond the norm.
It's done in such a charming and chaotic way (with Slippery Jim rarely in control of all events) that you really get the feeling that Jim is someone that could be you if only you; had the time, the brain and 1001 different futuristic gadgets and devices to cause mayhem with.
With his own distinct viewpoint of the "trickle down" concept of capitalism, you can't help siding with Jim whenever he decides to speed up the process. Protecting the weak and punishing evil tyrants along the way really gives you another reason to love this guy.
This is one of my favourite books and I firmly believe that everyone should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the cover, forget the blurb READ THE BOOK!, 22 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This book marks the beginning of a legend. Cigar chomping, heavy drinking, egoistical, larcenous male chauvinist Slippery Jim Di Griz is without question the best (and funniest) thing ever to happen to Sci Fi. This book, the first in the series, has everything from bank robbing through interstellar space chases to a love story (yes she's a deranged killing machine - but she had an unhappy childhood). And of course, it's laugh out loud funny throughout. You'll even find some (suitably left field) morality knocking around in there if the prospect of so much fun turns you off. So what are you waiting for? BUY THE BOOK!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rat Still Reigns Supreme!, 2 Nov 2012
C. Stewart "The Cat's Whiskers" (Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I had my copy of The Stainless Steel Rat as a first edition (1961) that my school in the UK was going to throw out; as a voluntary library assistant at the glorious age of 13, I took it home and read it. It is a little dated on the techno-front, but not much, as the late, great Mr H. cannily avoided being too "technobabble" heavy and so it doesn't appear dated. It's told in first-person narrative by James Bolivar DiGriz, who in a bucolic far future universe where crime is almost extinct because humans have everything so easy nothing's worth that much effort, DiGriz abandons his family future as a porcuswine farmer and embarks on a life of crime out of boredom. In this first book we meet diGriz mid-career, when he's finally captured by space-cop and old former crook (think poacher turned gamekeeper) Harold Inskipp, who is a fairly solid secondary character throughout the series. (Think of Peter Burke to Neal Caffrey in White Collar, only this pre-empted it by 45 years!).
What makes this book a cut above the rest is that it is enjoyable sci-fi, not the relentless jingoistic military-industrial complex sci-fi that so many others fell into the trap of, including Star Trek and Stargate (the series). Above all, I loved the villainess/heroine - DiGriz's beloved, psychotic Angelethal, a cheerfully sadistic female mass-murderer - so much sci-fi has female characters who are one-dimensional, or who are treated with unpleasant misogyny - one idiot even declared that "proper sci-fi" had nothing to do with women. There's real compassion and humanity in DiGriz's dealings with her.
It's a light-hearted, witty, tongue-in-cheek deliberately space-opera type yarn and worth every penny of the hard copy version. With heartbreak, my book collection, including these by Harry Harrison, are heading for destruction as I have discovered a severe paper mite infestation that must be eradicated. There are only two quibbles I have with the series, and as far as I am aware, these have never been addressed - one, Inskipp remained too much of a background character, and should have been given a real role/backstory at least once, and two, we never had what would have been a nice story - DiGriz's wife and his twin sons and their two wives (actually one a clone of the same woman as the twins fell in love with her) seeing the memorial that DiGriz vowed to build to his great mentor and true friend "The Bishop" - the galaxy's greatest and only never-caught criminal - and DiGriz finally telling them, and us, The Bishop's true name. However, perhaps Harry's children may feel able to wrap those points up for us in the future. But RIP Harry Harrison, a great writer. And THANK YOU! to whoever had the genius of putting the series on kindle now I have had to destroy the actual paperback books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Stainless Steel Rat: The Stainless Steel Rat Book 1
The Stainless Steel Rat: The Stainless Steel Rat Book 1 by Harry Harrison (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Dec 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01