4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly crafted, another outstanding book by Hoag
This is now the sixth book of Hoag's that I have read and can honestly say I have enjoyed each one.
Published on 9 Sep 2001 by TechLiv

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best-
Published on 3 Jun 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly crafted, another outstanding book by Hoag, 9 Sep 2001
This review is from: Cry Wolf (Paperback)
Cry Wolf is set in Acadiana, along the banks of the bayou. It is the story of the bayou strangler and the love found between the two main characters. The scenes are beautifully descriptive and the characters have good depth. From the moment I picked up this book, I had trouble putting it down. A must for Hoag fans!!
Just a word of warning, don't read A Thin Dark Line before this as it talks about the murders in this book and tells you who the killer is (as I found out the hard way - however I still enjoyed the book immensely, which shows how good a writer Tami Hoag is).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but I'm giving it 4 stars because it finished!, 17 Feb 2001
This review is from: Cry Wolf (Paperback)
This is the second of Tami Hoag's books I have read in the last month. I picked up Still Waters because it looked nice (awful, I know) and absolutely loved that and ordered a few more of her books from Amazon, including Cry Wolf. I thought the book was great - the scenes were so beautiful and descriptive, it's like you're reading a movie. When I finished Still Waters I loved it so much that I worried the next book wouldn't live up to my expectation but Cry Wolf was even better. I'm only marking it down a star because it finished when I wanted the story to carry on! It would be great if there was a sequel to Cry Wolf, perhaps exploring the future of Laurel and her mother, and Jack, and the community. Some people think the relationship themes in Tami Hoag's books are irrelevant as these books are thrillers, but I think it makes them all the better. All I can say is, I'm starting Dark Paradise next - and look forward to all Ms Hoag's future releases!

5.0 out of 5 stars Humid and enthralling, 27 Jun 2002
This review is from: Cry Wolf (Paperback)
I started this book when I went to bed and didnt go to sleep until it was finished. The first Tami Hoag I have read, usually preferring to steer clear of femal crime authors, and it blew me away. I thought noone could better James Lee Burke in summoning up the New Orleans area, or its characters but Tami Hoag put me right slap bang in the middle of the heat, mosquitoes, and swamps. A fantastic novel dealing with a fairly simple plotline, but it draws you in and doesnt let you go. You care and condemn along with our heroine. And who wouldnt like a Jack Boudreux in their life?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best-, 3 Jun 1999
By A Customer
At first I felt sorry for Laurel and Jack:they both had suffered terrible childhoods. They carried wounds into their adult life damaging their professional and personal lives. But enough is enough! The first half kept reminding me of their scars and not enough about the killer's state of mind . It picked up in the second half when Laurel began to acknowledge her sister's self destructive behaviour might possibly lead her and her sister into a terrible fate.Romance between Laurel and Jack was nice but overall Night SIns was much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Dimensional characters, 6 Sep 1999
By A Customer
I loved this book for its three dimensional characters. The suspense is not there like it was in Night Sins but thiss book is more about the two main characters overcoming their own self-torment and finally accepting happiness and love. Tami Hoag does an excellent job in fleshing out the two main characters and making them three dimensional. I enjoyed this book because of Laurel and Jack and not for the plot. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, 5 May 1998
By A Customer
To all those who thought this book had too much romance I have something to say to you. Tami Hoag originally started off writing romances and this particular one was originally written as just that , a romantic suspense. It wasn't until later when she became popular to most with Guilty as Sin, that they re-published the book for mainstream mystery. I have been an avid fan of Tami's for years and love all her books. I never liked the mushy, all romance books and was so happy to find an author who did not ignore the enchanting and exciting world of romance but at the same time gave us something juicy and powerful to read in the form of mystery. I just wish she could write faster. Cry Wolf is one of my favorite of all her books yet I still think her Dark Paradise is my all time favorite book from any author. I think people need to open their minds and read different types of things. Take advice from a person who reads Hoag, Koontz, King, and many others. There is more out there than you think.. I also think the reference to Bodice whatever is ignorant. Tami keep up the great work, in my mind you are the best writer (for enjoyment) right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting; WOLF has it ALL. Hoag is a serious CF contender!!, 8 Jan 1997
By A Customer
There are a select few crime fiction authors whose abilities
compel the reader into a voracious page-turning frenzy. Tami
Hoag's emergence from the world of romance novels into the
highly competitive CF market is nothing short of stunning.
Not only has Hoag created a seriously believable murder plot,
the characters are compelling enough to seem almost three-dimensional.
The history, lore, sociology and very essence of New Orleans
are quite clearly interwoven into this tale of snap judgments,
family values, and a passionate romance which develops at the
core of the story. Hoag's romance ability is far from
hidden; it takes a monster talent to combine these two
genres with class and finesse. Hoag has achieved the ultimate
with CRY WOLF: a page-turner of exquisitely rare craftsmanship which very successfully combines a searing love story and
a series of brutal murders, as well as presenting the historical
mystique of New Orleans with lifelike clarity.
CRY WOLF is a must-read for the crime fiction fanatic. I
took it everywhere with me--it was one of those books that
I wished would never end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! I couldn't put it down!, 27 April 1998
By A Customer
First - if you are a Tami Hoag fan, be sure to read this book BEFORE reading "A Thin Dark Line" - she reveals both who the killer is and who his victims were. This was a really great suspense novel, definately my favorite of all Ms.Hoag's books. The characters were extremely colorful, the killer a big surprise, and the last 20 pages are virtually impossible to put down. The only thing that keeps me from rating it a 10 is the fact that Ms.Hoag still seems to be sticking to the same formula she uses in all of her novels: heroine meets a tortured bad boy who turns out to be a softie underneath, she acts like she can't stand him or trust him, he the same, they hate each other,they love each other, he saves her from peril and doom, they live happily ever after. If she could have toned down the predictable (and somewhat "gag-me") romance storyline, this book would have been perfect. All in all, if you can take the drippy romance with a grain of salt, this is one terrific read you won't want to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars !!!!!!!!!, 14 May 2010
C. Halford "Rookie Romance" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cry Wolf (Paperback)
I know a lot of people complain about the romance aspects featured in many of Tami Hoag's books but that just makes me like them all the more. I struggled to put this book down and it had me guessing until the end! I love the way she portrays the area and the characters and i can't recommend this book, or any of her others, enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I ever read, 10 April 2008
A. McCarthy (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cry Wolf (Paperback)
It was one of them books I bought and left for a while skipping over it thinking I wasnt going to enjoy it. When I finally picked it up to read I nearly put it back in the pile. I am so glad I didnt.
This book is a love story - admittedly slightly gruesome also.
Laurel is an excellent character - you really can relate to her.
As for Jack - if ever you wanted a man to jump out of a book and wrap you up in his arms - then this is the man!!! I didnt want this book to end. I did figure out who dun it pretty early on but it didnt ruin it for me.
Highly recommended!! Be ready ladies to fall in love.
This was the first Tami Hoag book I have read and I am going to be buying more.

Cry Wolf
Cry Wolf by Tami Hoag (Paperback - 7 April 1994)
Used & New from: 0.01