5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!
Published on 13 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
Published 17 months ago by Ally Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 13 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bless The Child (Paperback)
I have read this book over and over again and I will read it some more! This book contains everything: sacrifice, murder, drug abuse, love, religion, pain and joy. I laughed and cried with this tale of a mother and grandmother. The different religious aspects of the book were fasinating, blending the two different paths of Christianity and Paganism must of been hard but CCS did it brilliantly. I recomend this to any reader as this is a great story with a great begining, middle and end!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Thriller mixed with Detective stories and Romance, 24 Jan 2003
This review is from: Bless The Child (Paperback)
"Bless The Child" is one of the best and most well-written books I've ever read. Having always been a Stephen King's fan on the supernatural-occult kind of thriller novels, I imagined it difficul that there could be another writer that could impress me even more. This book prooved me how deeply wrong I was! I found the book last year, I read it 3 times, with the same and even more enthusiasm and interest each time. Unlike many books, this one is not a book you read once and then put it away. The reader gets so captivated from all the characters and the way each one of them interferes with the plot and contributes to it, that you really have to read it many times to really enjoy it as well as understand it as much as possible to every extent. It combines horror with big quantity of romance, with no shortage of detective (NYPD homocide dept.) related cases and characters descriptions. Although a novel with quite ficticious aspects, (i.e. Isis's amulet and Sechmet's stone) Cash's wanted to make a novel based on real therories and practises, from many different cultures from allover the world, spanning a big historical period. For that reason, extensive research is obvious in her careful depictions and explanations of various schools of esoteric ideology and practices. Her characters and descriptions are well built and are definitely believable. (Ellie's and Peter's characters are fine examples that prove it). Maggy o'ConnorThis breath-taking from start-to-end novel, will definitely trigger your appetite to actually do research and learn things on some of the subjects in the thematology used by the author to create it. An interesting bibliography is provided with this book for this reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to take you through every emotion..., 18 Jan 2001
This review is from: Bless The Child (Paperback)
I first brought this book in 1995 when I went to New York.
It is a story, that will make you laugh when you think of someone shimmering down the sidewalk, when you can imagine life in the O'Connor household but the tears are never far away. Spellman makes you become involved in the tale, including disllike of Eric and Nicky (I wanted to hit the pair of them).
You almost feel as if it could be someone you know going though this horrific time.
Everything is well written and you are not bombarded by technical information. In my opinion this is an excellent book and I am about to order my 2nd copy (worn the other one out!). There are very few books that I will read and reread, but this one tops the list.

1.0 out of 5 stars went off the story too much, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Bless the Child (Kindle Edition)
At the beginning I thought this book was going to be good but too much information about each group included in the plot distracted away from the story and also the dreams went on for too long

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally stupid lack of reality in emotions (not the particularly the subject matter), 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Bless the Child (Kindle Edition)
I read "Paint the Wind" by the same author many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. As a result, I recently bought both "Bless the Child" and "An Excess of Love". I started to read Bless the Child and was enjoying it up to the point where Maggie (the supposedly devoted grandmother) has had her grandchild kidnapped.

It is amazing that she then went to a café with the priest, noticing his “romantic” hair and laughing and smiling with him. If it were my grandchild, I would be absolutely distraught and certainly not wasting time going to cafes or subsequently to work. Everything would come to a standstill. I continued reading, in the hope that I could get over this lack of reality (in emotions, not the content of the devil worship etc), but after periods of becoming upset again, she does not strike any reality buttons with me. I would be digging through the walls of the house with my fingernails if necessary to rescue my grandchild, not gallivanting to cafes etc.

This is the point where I stopped reading and will probably not read the other book. I am SO disappointed, as I was really looking forward to a good read. What a pity I am moved to write this review and wonder if other readers felt the same?

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bless the Child (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book but felt that at times that it went on for too long and I didn't really see the point in the whole ancient Egypt thing. I thought it would have been a better book to just be in the modern world. It starts off very good but then starts to drag in the middle a bit. I found all the Satanist stuff fascinating but really scary almost like a horror story. As a Catholic I also loved all the Catholic stuff it really created a atmosphere. It was a good book and when I first started reading it I recommended it my friend but now I feel it would be a bit hard for her to finish it needs the committed reader to really carry on with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My go to book, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bless the Child (Kindle Edition)
This book is brilliantly written, and the story line continues to pack a punch. Definitely my all time fav! If you have reservations due to the film forget them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for every one., 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: Bless the Child (Kindle Edition)
This is my favourite book of all time,
the story is amazing, it is very different and so very much better than the film.
It contains a bit of everything, Religions, Gods and Goddesses, ritual killings, family love and struggles, drugs.
I read the paperback years ago and have awaited the kindle edition. I could not put it down and will definately read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from Spellman Cash, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Bless The Child (Paperback)
Paint the Wind is also one of my favourite novels, so I bought this on a bit of a whim to read some more of her work. It reads easily but I took a while to really get into it, and could have easily left it un read near the beginning. I perserved and really enjoyed it. It does read like it would make a really good scary thriller. Some of the decriptions made me whince but were very atmospheric. The blend of the all the different religions made really interesting reading and I could not help but wonder what if some of it was true. I realy like the supernatural aspects to CSC books that she intergrates into her books and makes them very plausible - In all, some thing different, well worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as good as the Movie if not better, 4 Sep 2001
If you enjoyed Bless The Child you'll Love this. It is a very Religious, Thriller type of book where Good fights the Evil! For 15+ ages. Excellent

Bless The Child
Bless The Child by Cathy Cash Spellman (Paperback - 18 April 1994)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available