5.0 out of 5 stars A supremely rewarding book, 6 Feb 2004
M. P. Walker "Matt" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
In this excellent book, John Piper takes as his basis the idea that God is entirely complete of Himself. Far from needing any other creature, He is the ultimate source of pleasure. Piper demonstartes how this works with regard to, among other things, creation, election, atonement, His people's prayer's and social justice. In doing so he paints a picture of a great and omnipotent God who is nevertheless profoundly concerned for His people. A very inspiring and challenging book indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning portait of the pure, passionate affections of an awesome God, 30 April 2009
David A. Nelson "Dewey56" (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pleasures of God (Paperback)
John Piper's God is distinctive in contemporary Christianity for, among other things, his sheer enormity. In this book Piper manages to make the most God-centred exposition of a number of topics (most notably the gospel) that I have ever come across. It is refreshing, life-affirming and, above all, God glorifying. If you want a comfy, man-centred theology look elsewhere: this one was written to change you. To demonstrate this, I'm going to quote the review from the American amazon that convinced me to buy the book in the first place (hopefully that isn't illegal):

"I have to admit, when I first read this book, I wanted to throw it across the room. But earnestly searching scriptures (with the intent to prove the book wrong), I was forced to unhappily conclude that Piper was completely on the ball. Then the most amazing thing happened: as I reread the book with a heart of faith, my disturbed state of mind gave way to a liberating joy in the good news of the sovereign God who is infinitely worthy and glorious beyond our wildest imaginations. I've always known that God is big, but Piper's expositions have been the lynchpin to my realization that God is BIG; truly one whose ways are above our ways and whose thoughts are above our thoughts. And in light of this, the deep love of Jesus has become even more amazing to me: how such a God could love and die for sinners such as us."

What a testimony! This is what this book can awaken in you. Piper's commitment to biblical Christianity and passion for the renown of his sovereign, happy God are breathtaking. Buy it. Read it. Share it. Rejoice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty of God, 15 July 2008
This is one of the most beautiful books on God that I have ever read, coming second only to Knowing God by JI Packer. Like Packer, Piper backs up his main thoughts with biblical texts. In his potrayal of who God is he leaves you awe-struck and reeling with a heart full of worship and praise. Very well written and easy to read without being too simple. I would highly recommend this book to someone who genuinely wants to know what pleases their beloved God.

The Pleasures of God
The Pleasures of God by John Piper (Paperback - 1 Nov 2009)
10.43
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available