4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, but not for the obvious reasons
I found this book absolutely absorbing and very hard to put down, despite some shortcomings.

I bought it because I wanted to know how it was possible for someone to fall out of an aeroplane at 17,000 feet and survive. To know how it felt, one moment to be sitting in a plane, a teenager beside your mother, thinking about Christmas, and almost the next to find...
Published on 30 May 2012 by Frequent Traveller

3.0 out of 5 stars not an easy read
A lengthy and tedious read with a very small amount of information about the main topic of the book. For me it was more about the writers relationship with the Peruvian jungle and the setting up of a research station there rather than the event of a plane crash and the author's survival experience. Although interesting to read of the fauna and creatures in the jungle,...
Published on 5 Sept. 2012 by MnM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars When I Fell From the Sky: The True Story of One Woman's Miraculous..., 5 Feb. 2013
This review is from: When I Fell From the Sky: The True Story of One Woman's Miraculous Survival (Paperback)
I bought this because I had read a brief excerpt in the Telegraph Magazine, I was hooked. There is more to the book than i had imagined which is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars When I fell from the sky., 5 Jun. 2012
I really enjoyed this it was very different and there is a lot to learn about the Amazon Rain Forest and that part of the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 May 2015
Disappointing, not very well written, story is intriguing but got bored

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Jun. 2015
Condition as described, fast delivery. Very interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Scotland, 25 April 2012
I first heard about Fr. Dr. Diller's story when the BBC aired Werner Herzog's documentary "Wings of Hope" a few years ago. It was her own personal story of survival under incredible circumstances which initially intrigued me. However, having now read her story in her own words (and in her native language German), I find it inspirational on many levels. Through her story she reminds us that, even in the face of unthinkable challenges, our instinct as human beings is not only to survive; more importantly, our duty is to face the dangers with which we are all now confronted - the erosion of the rainforest, dwindling habitats for our flora and fauna and the resulting ecological and humanitarian consequences. It is to Fr. Dr. Diller's credit that she has turned her own personal tragic experience into one which should have us all thinking of our place, role and responsibilities on this fragile blue planet. Her survival, both through the horrendous plane crash and subsequent jungle trek, has taken her on a journey from which we can all learn. What I took from the book was that it is not just about the survival of one person - though that alone is a blessing and I'm very happy she's here to tell the tale; it's about the survival of the small patch of earth which saved her and which, with the help of others, can save us all over the long term, only if we look after it. This is a very personal story which is told very openly in the first person, but which leaves us thinking of the wider context in which we live. Fr. Dr. Diller mentions that she does not wish to tell anyone how to live their lives - her story is anything but preaching - but we should be grateful that she highlights how precious (and fragile and wondrous) life, in all its forms, is. A joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Enjoyed this read, 14 Aug. 2014
Amazing. Enjoyed this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOOKS, 26 Jan. 2015
GREAT READ AND SERVICE

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Jan. 2015
Great item.

1.0 out of 5 stars I fell from the sky, 29 July 2012
Great start, but unfortunately lost my interest further into the book. Bit less exciting reading about her up bringing in the jungle. To be fair lost interest therefore didn't finish the book, may have improved further in?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

When I Fell From the Sky: The True Story of One Woman's Miraculous Survival
When I Fell From the Sky: The True Story of One Woman's Miraculous Survival by Ross Benjamin (translator) (Paperback - 19 Mar. 2012)