5.0 out of 5 stars Funny book about the misadventures of a traveller and animal enthuasist
I do like Peter Allison's books and felt the wait for this one was too long - write the next one quicker please! This is funny book by a genuine animal enthuasist, this time exploring South America (previous books which you must read were set in Botswana where he was a safari guide). Genuine self deprecating humour, very interesting tales, his enthuasim for the people,...
Published on 18 April 2012 by Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his usual
This book has lost a lot of the hilarious look at life the author had in his previous books on africa as a safari guide. Perhaps his foray into south america did not have the same enthusiasm he had whilst in Africa? Feels like its not the same author in every way.
Published 16 months ago by kandyman

5.0 out of 5 stars Allison made the right decision to stick to his books!, 31 May 2012
Daniel Park "danielpark99" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Walk a Puma...& other things I learned while stumbing around South America (Paperback)
Being British I'm used to my wildlife presenting either traditional and aloof (The BBC style of the 70's-90's) or cute and anthropomorphic, as in more recent years "Will the poor little runt survive?" etc.

Peter Allison's book is a more personal style of wildlife presenting. Although it purports to also be a travelogue, it's really about the author's interaction with life in general (both people and plants/animals) There's an episode where he gamely struggles to audition for some TV wildlife presenting but finds it not to his liking. This isn't surprising, because Allison's style is far removed from the swagger of false enthusiasm demonstrated on current wildlife programming. Instead, our author creates a more personal interaction with his reader in which we learn some important things about how to look at life in general, and all without being lectured to.

Beautifully narrated and very human, Allison's confident writing reinforces with every single paragraph why he made the right decision to avoid the small screen and stick to his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delicious!, 22 Feb 2012
Tony James Slater (Australia (currently)) - See all my reviews
I love Peter Allison's books; the images he creates are always so vivid, transporting me to places I'd love to go. The same is true of 'How To Walk A Puma' - the jungles and arid mountain deserts of South America have never seemed more real. And then of course, there's a bloomin' great Aussie stumbling around them trying his level best to get eaten. The book's mix of light-hearted banter, fascinating animals and blatant craziness appeals to me across the board.
I love Peter's passion; the child-like delight he has around all species of life seems to leap off the page, infecting me with his enthusiasm and, on occasion, taking him way too far - into the most deadly jungle on the planet, alone, at night, or into a lagoon infested with crocodiles - and worse...
There isn't a dull moment in this guy's life. At least, not in the bits he writes about - I'd almost like to be with him on one of these adventures. Almost. But then, he's bound to get eaten sooner or later so it's probably best to stick with reading about it for now :0)
I loved this book; I think you will too, especially if you're interested in animals, South America, or - and this has to go for most of you - just HAVE to know how (and WHY?!) to walk a puma...
Great stuff!
Tony

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for those who love travel and nature shown through down to earth and humorous eyes., 15 Nov 2012
As with Peter Allison's previous two novels, I couldn't put this book down. I again was engaged by his way of telling his own story in his unique honest style of delivery which really placed you as the reader in his shoes... Through his previous novels I recaptured my own journeys through Africa which I have taken over the years; in this book I engaged with a new continent of discovery...thanks for opening my eyes to South America...