5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read
This is the first of Paul Carters books I have read and it certainly won't be the last. Hilarious from the outset with plenty of anecdotes.

The first half of the book is about the planning , raising funds, finding a suitable bike and getting the bike ready for the trip.The second half is is road trip and the adventures he has during the trip.

The...
Published on 17 Feb. 2012 by Malcolm Gordon

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this book a pot-boiler, mate?
Paul's first book, 'Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs' was funny and a great read. This one is neither.

It's supposed to be the story of a journey round Australia on a motorbike, so I expected it to be a litany of hilarious stories about people, places and mishaps along the route. It isn't.

The first half of the book is just a diary of how Paul...
Published on 9 Jan. 2012 by Mike

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this book a pot-boiler, mate?, 9 Jan. 2012
Mike (Corsham, Wilts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Is That Bike Diesel, Mate?: One Man, One Bike and the First Lap Around Australia on Used Cooking Oil (Paperback)

The first half of the book is just a diary of how Paul prepared for the journey, with lots of names of different people who helped him (all of whom call each other mate). The second half is just a diary of the places Paul visited, with lots of names of different people who helped him etc etc. At least, I think it is - quite frankly I gave it all up for lost about half way round.

If you're interested in the details of CVT belts for Italian irrigation pump diesels, if you like to read about lots of people you don't know calling each other mate, then this book may be for you. Oh yes, Paul does include his much-vaunted 'seriously bad language' and - helpfully - puts much of it in capital letters just in case you might miss it. Great.

Sorry Paul, loved your first book. Bored by this one, which seems to be just a means of paying for the trip and thanking the sponsors and others who helped him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 17 Feb. 2012

The last half of the road trip is crammed into 3 of the 21 chapters but there is probably only so much he can write of broken CV belts, and how much vibration his body can take on the bike that the book would become very tedious if it was stretched out into any more chapters.

If you liked the books Long Way Round and Long Way Down by Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman on their motorcycle trips then this is the book for you. You do have to be prepared for plenty of foul language with Paul Carters writing!

Overall I thought this was a great read.

1.0 out of 5 stars get back to the rigs, 1 Jun. 2012
Carter's debut book stands amongst the funniest i've read. To this day, I'm scared of taking it on a train less I launch into uncontrollable laughter. While not quite on the same level, his second book also proved a cracking read, so to say I was excited when I heard about this latest effort doesn't come close. Unfortunately, as a previous reviewer notes, this just isn't at the races. I know nothing about bikes, so reading pages and pages of technical specs frightened me. I didn't know what the bloke was on about. I plugged away, thinking it'd move into a language i could understand, and into some stories of outback misadventure. Well, it never did - I gave up something along half-way through. I never abandon a book, at least not until now. Incredibly disappointing, I hope his next outing as an author marks a return to what Carter is best at: telling stories, not writing what is essentially a motorbike manual.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not great., 16 Dec. 2012
If you are expecting an Australian version of Long Way Round then it won't quite meet it.

Paul Carter is an ex oil rig worker who after his partner becomes pregnant decides to settle down. After a few months shuffling paperwork wants to ride around Australia on motorbike, his wife suggests rinding something unusual. he manages to find and borrow a oil powered bike from Adelaide Uni and so begins the journey. He completes 14,500km, and thankful escapes serious injury after falling off at one point.

It is written in quite a abrupt style. There are some funny bits and some quite coarse parts, so might not appeal to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book - it is so funny, 8 Dec. 2012
Michael Atkins "Mike Atkins" (UK, Kent) - See all my reviews
The book was bought for me as a birthday present. It is quite possibly the best book I have read in ages. I haven't put it down. It is easy to read, flows nicely and is just filled with good old belly laughs. I don't know if it's the fact we share a similar outlook and background on life or; if it's the fact that we share the same sense of humour or, the fact it's about travels on a motorbike. Whatever it is, I totally get it and I love this guy's style of writing sense of humour and wit. I've added his other books to my Christmas list... If you are in need of a good read which is just filled with belly laughs, buy and read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 25 Mar. 2013
After reading all of Paul Carters other books of travelling the world and working with interesting characters this book was a bit slow, however, that’s not to say it isn't worth a read! As a biker and engineer I relate to the connection he has within the book with the motorcycle and appreciate the task in hand. Still a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is that bike diesel mate?, 19 Jan. 2013
The reviews I read before purchase talked about it being a bit lightweight on adventure & too much tech talk. The tech talk swung it for me. I thought the balance was right & I enjoyed the read.
It did seem a bit rushed on the home leg back to Perth. Not a travelogue if thats what you're looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Again Carter delivers!!!!, 20 Jun. 2014
This man was born to write everything he does is interesting funny or gripping he's love for his family and friends is mind blowing it makes you think how boring your own life is at times..need some more Paul "" if you would be so kind have read them all now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for the lads, 15 Sept. 2013
After reading other Paul Carter books found this one tamer, funny in parts but very detailed about the bike, definitely a lads book, overall a good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is that bike diesel, 13 Jan. 2013
I thought the book would be more interesting than I found it to be. It shows the ups and downs of such attempts but failed to hold my interest. Other readers might think otherwise as it appears well acclaimed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›