5.0 out of 5 stars NLP for all levels of experience
If you like your books dull, dry and difficult to read (and there are many NLP books available which are like this!) then unfortunately the new edition of NLP At Work probably isn't for you.

If you are interested in exlporing NLP further, or refreshing your knowledge, and are looking for a book which brings NLP to life ethically and with integrity, combining...
Published on 28 April 2010 by Stephen Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars NLP At Work: The Essence of Excellence-3rd Edition (People Skills for Professionals)
A very basic introduction to NLP that seems like it's been cobbled together from internet research. OK if you are just interested in knowing what NLP is. Definitely not for Practitioners or even as a text book for those learning to be one.
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by AliTHR

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A book personally written for me, 21 Dec 2009
Brian Chernett (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NLP At Work: The Essence of Excellence-3rd Edition (People Skills for Professionals Series) (Paperback)
Having trained with Sue for some 16 years and seeing her third edition of "NLP for the passionate" I could not help thinking how much over the years that I have learnt experientialally from Sue and now yet another book to read. Sue is a wonderful teacher and coach and challenges each person with sheer brilliance. She does this with this book. That is why I know this was written for me. Not a book to read from cover to cover but one to dip into whenever you need to or for revision, particularly before a course.

I have purchased a copy for 15 CEO's in my group a Xmas present to last until next Xmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lesley, 15 Jan 2010
L. McDonald - See all my reviews
Among the many things I like about NLP at Work is Sue's ability to make complex concepts seem straight forward. Jargon is tamed! `Presuppositions' become `beliefs of excellence' `meta programs' become `filters'. Personally I like this and find it useful.

Not that I don't do Jargon - as an NLP trainer I already have many NLP books and am quite tempted by a book recommended by another reviewer but for me what I love about Sue's writing, as with her training, is that it works at so many different levels.

Beyond NLP, from Sue's books the message I get is - it is ok to be who you are, it is ok to bring yourself into your work, it is ok to be present. Sue is very present in her writing - her no-nonsense humanity and her humour with just a hint of the provocateur that she uses to such great effect. And certainly one of the things I have learned from training with Sue is being more comfortable with who I am.

In the 3rd edition the addition of the chapter on humour is useful. The exercises, the physiological information and the exploration of humour coming from surprise/the unexpected. The story about client with the `Martyr' chair was both funny and thought provoking as it was no doubt intended to be.

I found myself thinking about what label I would use to describe myself when in un-resourceful states... and though I didn't settle on any particular one the reflection itself felt like an interrupt to some of my habitual thinking patterns.

It was also nice to see the inclusion of the rescue triangle there and how humour can provide such an antidote to help counter these patterns - and of course the references to Frank Farrelly!

I am thinking is there anything that I would have suggested to do much differently? But nothing really comes to mind. As always Sue deals with complex topics while making them look simple - writing in a way that is readily accessible and engaging to the reader interested from a business and personal perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars So, a third edition..., 1 Feb 2010
Dr. David Fraser (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
So, a third edition... And what kind of third edition is that? A thoroughly up-to-date and relevant one. Sue has refreshed her now well-known reference to include new chapters on clean questions, time, and humour, and, as importantly, infused her writing with a fresh reflection of where she's at in her own life's journey and learning. As always, Sue brings humanity and love to the sometimes dry subject of NLP. If that's not what you're after, come back later.

Reviewers commonly refer to NLP at Work as an 'introductory' text. In those terms, 'advanced' would presumably involve elaborate techniques and the like. I'm not so sure. Seeing Sue in action achieving great results using the most minimal of interventions convinces me that the path to 'advanced' lies not with the most complex, but rather with the most simple. Fortunate we are that Sue has set this down beautifully in her new chapter on clean questions, not traditionally an NLP topic, of course, and yet a perfect example of the modelling philosophy that is the central theme of NLP at Work. One page, or rather two paragraphs of this chapter, concerning the skilful use of the most humble of words - 'and' - both capture the essence of Sue's work and alone justify the third edition.

With NLP at Work, you get lots of book for your money. Yes, you can dip into it. And, no, you don't have to 'get' all the metaphors. Master this 'introduction' and you'll be advanced enough for most people.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really delivers!, 7 May 2011
At the end of the interview the lovely Kristy gave me the Bible and the Complete Works of Shakespeare and I had one more book; Kant? Descartes? Nietzsche? No...Sue Knight's NLP at Work! This seminal work has fused the technical science of understanding human behaviour, with actually being human. The book congruently delivers to the reader the very outcomes you can expect to deliver yourself through the study and use of the content of this book. Indeed the book is a model of the very things it seeks to pass on as it builds rapport with you in a very clean way, providing an example of excellence that really is the difference that makes the difference.
Even on my desert island, I can coach myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly compelling, 4 Feb 2011
Sue's writing goes way beyond the `tools and techniques' of NLP, and speaks instead to the contemporary human condition. She brings a passion and compassion to her writing which I find utterly compelling!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 Dec 2014
Easy read and very informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 Aug 2014
Great book helped me with a recent practioners course I have just completed must read

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings NLP alive, 3 Dec 2009
I am a current NLP practitioner student two thirds of the way through the course (not training with Sue's organisation)and as you would expect am reading different NLP books, each written in different styles and with different focus.
Sue's third edition has brought NLP to life for me. Things that I thought I previously understood are much clearer and her writing style and content is easy to read but at the same time thought provoking.
The chapters on metaphors, clean questions, precise questions , humour (I could expand but you would be better off reading the book!) have led me to see many things, including myself in a different way.
Dont tell Sue but I would gladly have paid double for this gem (& I paid full price, not the Amazon price!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Sue Knight's third edition to her brilliant 'NLP at Work' does what it says on the tin...., 26 Nov 2009
M. Burdon (Norfolk, UK.) - See all my reviews
Sue Knight writes fluidly and with great love and mastery about her field. Having owned the first two editions I was looking forward to the third edition and also wondering what a new edition might bring. In reading this third edition I realise that each edition represents Sue's journey and with each come deeper, sharper iterations and innovations of her work, identity and purpose in action. Sue is distilling the essence of excellence. There is an intriguing new chapter on the pioneering and innovative 'clean language'. Sue's writing is inspiring, easy to read and works in a way where, uncannily, you start to notice that you are doing 'stuff' she talks about without conscious effort. I am loving relaxing in front of the fire on these autumnal evenings and dipping into this book. Somehow the writing inspires our unconscious resources and flexibility and the only way I absolutely know this is by having noticed the difference in my experience. NLP is Sue's chosen field, in which she has become a leader, making a difference for me and many clients that I've recommended her to. Along with the most excellent leaders in any field Sue's work embodies her own purpose and love for what she does. This book is an expression of Sue's purpose and is about doing, about real experience and it's success is measured by results in practice. Sue elegantly and exquisitely integrates conceptual frameworks into her work in a way that is simple and makes a difference where the 'rubber meets the road'. The great and effortless thing is that it is often a mystery (and perhaps irrelevant) how this happens. Though the book stands alone I have found it to be a perfect complement to her talks and trainings. I'll leave it to you to read Sue's typically generous and humble last paragraph in her 'Acknowledgments' at the end of this book. Sue helps to inspire the same in others. I know she has made a difference to my life. She does do what she says on the tin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Already looking forward to the 4th Edition, 24 Oct 2010
My name is Greg Lowe, I co-chair one of the most successful management consultant networks in the Uniting Kingdom and Eire. Sue Knights book is a master piece. I regularly purchase 40 copies at a time to give to my clients as a gift to improve communication and life skills. Thank you for the inspiration Sue, I am already looking forward to the 4th edition. Keep shining and fly high Greg x

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›