5.0 out of 5 stars NLP for all levels of experience
If you like your books dull, dry and difficult to read (and there are many NLP books available which are like this!) then unfortunately the new edition of NLP At Work probably isn't for you.

Published on 28 April 2010 by Stephen Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars NLP At Work: The Essence of Excellence-3rd Edition (People Skills for Professionals)
A very basic introduction to NLP that seems like it's been cobbled together from internet research. OK if you are just interested in knowing what NLP is. Definitely not for Practitioners or even as a text book for those learning to be one.
Published on 6 Feb. 2011 by AliTHR

5.0 out of 5 stars NLP for all levels of experience, 28 April 2010
Stephen Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NLP At Work: The Essence of Excellence-3rd Edition (People Skills for Professionals Series) (Paperback)

If you are interested in exlporing NLP further, or refreshing your knowledge, and are looking for a book which brings NLP to life ethically and with integrity, combining clear explanations of the concepts of NLP with practical exercises and meaningful insights then BUY THIS BOOK.

Sue has a very effective way of writing which makes the content easy to connect with and relevant to either a business or personal context. The end product is a book that works equally well as an introdution to NLP through an "end to end" read and exploration or a "dip in and out" reference book for those with NLP experience or training.

Once you have bought it be careful who you lend it to! My experience is you may not get it back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Banana!, 2 Aug. 2011
Generally speaking I only review books if I find the material compelling enough to make a difference in my life. I know this book will be the difference that will make a difference as Gregory Bateson would say.

I've read a lot of material over the years pertaining to NLP including the classics from the co-creators and a few more from other such dignitaries including Dilts, O'Connor, Andreas and Faulkner, but this book now sits on my desk as a dog eared manual.

I bought this book when it was first published many moons ago and it was far better than any of the actual training materials I received when I first did my practitioner course. What you'll find if you choose to buy this book is that there is no ambiguity, no fluff, just solid explanations, loads of how-to's and a little background knowledge along the way.

What I'm really impressed about is how the information is packaged and presented in a lovely linear format, just a shame that I've defaced the book with highlighter and page markers, but that's what a book like this is for. As a sales coach, trainer and facilitator of my own trainings to the corporate market place, this book would not be out of place as a communication bible for any in-house training team. If you're a copywriter/editor, you'll find plenty of magic to woo your readership with, if you're in sales you'll find ways to fine tune your communication style, in fact there is something for everyone in this book.

My only caveat to buying this book is this; only buy if you are going to read, digest, practice and refer back to...otherwise you're just wasting your time and money as this book deserves to be in the hands of people who want to empower themselves in the real world not just inside their head.

5.0 out of 5 stars NLP at Work, 19 Jan. 2012
This book is fabulous. I have been using it in schools as a framework for teaching heads and teachers powerful NLP techniques for use with children, colleagues and all the other people that are part of every busy school day. It is beautifully written, down to earth and so very very useful. A must for any head, teacher or NLP Practioner's bookshelf. James O'Riordan

5.0 out of 5 stars The NLP Bible!!, 13 Mar. 2011
Mrs. J. Constantinou "Joey" (Bromley) - See all my reviews
Sue Knight gives the reader a detailed account of what NLP actually is, and how to use it to benefit your life. I have already studied NLP many years ago and needed refreshing of most of the subjects. Sue knows how to appeal to each reader using case studies and examples that are very easy to understand. She keeps it simple where a lot of other books complicate matters.

I use this book as my NLP Bible and refer to it often. If you are looking to investigate what NLP is, or need an NLP reference book that outlines this vast subject, then go for this book. I thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 2 July 2011
Very interesting topic and good structure. Easy to read and quite engaging.
The only thing I would point out about the content is that I felt that through most of the book, about 2/3, she was always talking about "how NLP will change your life" but didn't say how. The end of the book is more focused on the practice and how to do it, but for the size of the book (it's quite big) I'd expect it to be more focused on it's main topic, not just saying how good it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Ferrers, Business Coach, 26 Feb. 2012
I originally purchased the Kindle edition of NLP at Work which will remain on my Kindle. It was a bit annoying that the text sometimes refers to pages which do not appear on Kindle and also that some of the text disappears into the margins. The publisher should review these comments because the "faults" slightly detract from the excellent work of the author.

However, I was so impressed by the content of NLP at Work that I also purchased the paper edition. So, what impressed me so much? It is the way that Sue puts NLP into contexts and illustrates points with stories. The style of the book is what NLP is all about for me.

Other NLP books, which may well be more learned, have never taught me as much as Sue's book because they are too high on theory and too light on how to apply the theory.

For me NLP should be experiential, a toolkit that can be used in all aspects of our lives. Form this book I learned how to enhance my experience of my life and to enhance my clients' experiences of their lives both at work and in their private lives. I know this to be true because of the generous comments my clients make on LinkedIn.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the children, 11 Oct. 2011
I titled this review 'one for the children' not because I would recommend that children read it. I am a prolific reader of all sorts of personal development material and every now and again I come across a book that I put on my list called 'books for the girls'. This is a list (of five books currently..out of over 200 I have read in the last ten years) that I will give to my three daughters to read when they get to the appropriate age. Why? Because I found this book enlightening and practical in equal measure. It demystifies the subject and makes applicable and useable for anyone who has heard of NLP but thinks it's something for coaches and cuckoos! Not that coaches shouldn't read it as I have found myself referring back to it many times as part of my coaching work....not sure about the cuckoos though! For me it's benefits have gone way beyond my work and the first time I read it I felt like I had finally being given the instruction manual for my brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book!, 22 Oct. 2010
This is a wonderful book that anyone who is even remotely interested in NLP should own! I discovered this book through a friend who assured me it was a must read.

I myself am a qualified NLP Master Practitioner and I whole heartily recommend this book! Being dyslexic, I have to admit that I was somewhat intimidated by the size of the book! And although having worked through a lot of my challenges with dyslexia - reading is still something that can take me a little while! Having said that, I am so glad that I didn't let that put me off because this book is just wonderful! Whether you're starting out in NLP or you're at the top of the NLP food chain - this book speaks to all.

Sue Knights language makes the information very easy to follow - it's incredibly new user friendly, without the jargain you'll find in a lot of other NLP books. I personally like to dip in and out of the book in a slightly unorthodox fashion; I always find information that speaks to me and reminds me of the content I am so fascinated by.

The Essence of Excellence is clearly displayed throughout the entire book. A wonderful balance of not being too basic and not being too complicated - if Baby Bear was looking for an NLP book - NLP At Work would be the perfect one!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Just Does It!!!, 27 Jan. 2012
NLP is a fantastic thing but sometimes it can be as confusing as it is great. There are shelves books out there which try to make sense of NLP, but don't. Sue's book, however, most certainly does and is one of the very few which stand head and shoulders above the others. For me, it resonates with the way I understand things. It's clear, concise and extremely thought provoking. Not only does it give me the understanding I seek, but it tempts me to go much deeper and explore; a temptation I cannot resist!. I have also referred to this book as a means to clarify others' ideas and works too; it's an unshakeable foundation for me.
Finally, I've had the pleasure of meeting Sue on a number of occasions and when I read her book I can sometimes hear her reading it to me. In essence, this isn't Sue's book, it's Sue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Experiencing NLP at Work in my Life.., 14 Jan. 2014
The Book "NLP at Work" is a trigger of what I am today. I love the structure and thought provokers in each chapter. The question , "What is important to you about what you do and what values do you communicate to others by doing what you do?"... helped me reflect deeply to open my thoughts and now clear about my values towards life.I am blessed to read,live and experience NLP.

Sue Knight's personal experiences and examples are interesting and mind-blogging for me in a way to connect the concepts at various level. References in each chapter gave me an opportunity to explore more on the subject."NLP at Work" is an evidence of Sensory Rich Language and a treasure for my life.

Having read NLP at work and attended Sue Knights's training , I find Sue Knight as a wonderful person who lives and celebrate excellence all the time.