Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2009
This book is Peter Allison's hilarious account of his life in Africa as a safari guide. Its a light hearted account of his life, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants some light reading.

I honestly struggled to put this down, wanting all the time to know what would happen next. I also loved the fact that there were photographs in the middle of the book, which helped me as a reader picture myself in the situations of the author.

Buy this book, its an excellent read!
on 3 April 2010
I was looking online for books about Africa when I stumbled across this book. Ok, it as a picture of a big elephant on the front of it, I thought...why should I buy this book? Gut instinct is my only reason and a love of nature. I read other peoples reviews on it and took into account the book as been writen by Peter Allison himself - first hand accounts - pure and simple. It is always good to take a chance on something new, you never know what you might learn! The book is beautifully written and page after page you feel part of a whole new world of discovery.

Peter Allison's book in my opinion is something that should not be taken granted and we are privileged he chose to share his adveture with us so we might start our own...and maybe we can all learn a little more about wildlife and conservation...just a wonderful read!

DON'T RUN, Whatever You Do: My Adventures as a Safari Guide
on 14 December 2012
A very enjoyable read with laugh out loud moments. I read this book on the plane on the way to Tanzania for a safari. I read it from start to finish but each chapter is self contained so you could read it by the chapter and it would be like reading a series of short stories. Since I was on safari it was highly relevant, and some of things the author mentions are things my safari guide repeated. I knew why we were seeing broken trees, I knew what the big five were, I knew what to wear, I knew what to do if I were confronted with a lion, I knew if an elephant was seriously going to charge or if it was a mock charge. After I finished this I lent it to a member of my safari group who rarely reads and they couldn't put it down.
on 19 August 2012
Took a chance on this book a) because I'm really interested in African wildlife and b) because it was very cheap on Kindle. Was very pleased that I did. It's an entertaining collection of short stories about the author's time working as a safari guide in Botswana. He has a very self-mocking, amusing tone; and it's well-written. Not highbrow literature, but good fun. Certainly good value for money.

Quite unusually for books available for Kindle, it's also been properly edited and proof-read - and had chapter markers inserted. Didn't spot a single typo - I've paid much more for other e-books, and they've been poorly formatted and littered with errors!
on 12 July 2010
I chose this and the sequel (don't look behind you)after coming back from a volunteer project in South Africa where I was working with Cheetahs rather than a conventional safari, hoping it would bring back some fond memories....
They are laugh out loud funny and you can almost smell the african bush as he writes so well.
The antics of various tourists and the behind the scenes running of a successful safari are rib ticklingly funny and I read through it at an obscene speed through sheer enjoyment, shame really as I wanted it to last so much longer!

The book is fantastic and it did indeed bring back some fabulous memories of my time in South Africa
on 29 October 2009
Hugely entertaining story of experiences with wildlife (and tourists)in the African bush. Every guide has a tale to tell but these are well worth the purchase price.
on 30 May 2011
Absolutely un-put-downable! Beautifully written. Poignant, absorbing, and many mnay fun moments also. I truly didn't want this book to end and had to fight the urge to book a flight to South Africa and become a tracker myself. I had been on my first Safari two years ago and its true that once you've been out there and seen these animals in their natural element it really gets under your skin. I felt like I took a trip to Botswana reading this book and am grateful to lives though experiences albeit vicariously! An absolute must read.
on 1 September 2012
HOW I LAUGHED WITH THIS BOOK, I LOVED IT, AND WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE GONE ON SAFARI WITH PETER, IT WAS LIGHT HEARTED RIGHT THROUGH AND A PLEASUER TO READ, I TOOK IT AWAY WITH ME (IN MY KINDLE) AND I STARTED READING ON ON THE COACH, AND COULDNT HELP LAUGHING, PEOPLE MUST HAVE WONDERED WHAT I WAS READING, IT WAS SO GRAPHIC I COULD ALMOST FEEL THOSE EYES ON ME IN THE JUNGLE, AND FEEL THE BREATH ON MY SKIN FROM THE ANIMALS WE WENT SO NEAR TO, I SAY "WE" COS I FELT I WAS ON SAFARI WITH HIM, WELL DONE, HOPE TO READ MORE ABOUT YOUR EXPLOITS,
on 31 August 2015
Although this book has some interesting stories, the majority of it comprises summaries of unprofessional behaviour that borders on infantile. Many of these experiences could have been avoided with a little thought.

As others have mentioned, it is clear that Mr Allison considers his 'guests' to be beneath him and has failed to advocate the majesty of Africa, its peoples and its wildlife. His arrogance is shocking and a million miles away from the professionalism that I have experienced in guides used on my trips to Africa.
on 7 January 2015
Having lived, worked and safaried in Africa for even more years than Peter Allison I expected to enjoy this book and was not disappointed. However, credibility was stretched rather too far by the account of swimming under water, between elephants legs while holding a camera above water for that 'special shot'! Could the other accoints be just a little OTT?...It really does'nt matter because Peter's enthusiasm and love of Africa shows that he has secombed to 'Afraemia' in a big way!