This book is a great follow on from "Dont Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs" I came across it in the airport, and just had to buy it. I read most of the book on the flight, not being able to put it down, Paul has some excellent tales to tell and it sure makes you think about life on the rigs.

If you buy this book don't read it in a quiet place, since you will...
Published on 31 Dec 2007 by Jeff Bradshaw

This is longer, denser and more mature than the first book, still stuffed full of gross-out humour and stories for grown up boys about drunkenness, pranks, motorbikes and dangerous situations.

Published on 19 April 2008 by Petrolhead

3.0 out of 5 stars A collection of riotous stories for boys who should know better, 19 April 2008
Petrolhead (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: This is Not a Drill: Just Another Glorious Day in the Oilfield (Paperback)

Paul Carter's style is very readable, but this sequel has even less of an oilfield theme than the first book. Here we hear flying stories from Paul's dad and his Air Force mates, Paul goes on an interesting but unexplained trip through Afghanistan, and we stray so far off track that much of it has hardly got anything to do with the drilling of the title.

So anyone expecting to read something with any connection to the oil industry will be disappointed, or at least confused.

Still, if you're looking for a rip-roaring, rollicking roster of drunken antics, tropical diseases and bad behaviour, you won't go far wrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pass., 9 Oct 2009
Okay, so you write a book about your wild and weird experiences on an oil rig ('Don't Tell Mum..'), it's pretty good and it manages to sell a surprisingly respectable amount of copies. So the publishers come back to you and say 'Well that last book went down a storm, we need you to write another one'. Your dilemma now is whether to:
A) Admit you've used up all your good material and regretfully decline
B) Happily use all the other fantastic stories you've been holding back or
C) Regurgitate a few well-worn tales that aren't quite the pick of the bunch and take the money.

If you're anything like me and the author of this book, you will go for option C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the first one, 11 Feb 2008
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Really enjoyed the author's first book and read this one straight after.
The first book was very original and contained some great tales and escapades and I suppose I was looking for more here. In this one Carter tells a few more tales but mixes in some serious stuff and some views on the way of the world. Obviously the best tales got used in the first book and here is is looking to do something slightly different.
This is still very entertaining and readable but does not hit the highs of the first one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I ran the risk of getting sectioned reading this on the plane, 31 Dec 2007
Jeff Bradshaw (London, UK) - See all my reviews

If you buy this book don't read it in a quiet place, since you will frequently laugh out loud. I was getting some very funny looks from the cabin crew on my flight! Buy it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sequels rarely as good as the originals, 2 Mar 2010
David Inglis (Argyll) - See all my reviews
An excellent book and a definite read for those of us who fell about laughing reading "Don't tell Mum..." however not quite up to the same standard but then I do not think Paul could ever have topped his first book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Offshore Life International, 28 Jan 2010
Peter Senior (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
Made me laugh. Mostly set overseas but I can see lots of the behaviour I saw in the North Sea. Obviously not meant to be instructive - I'd read Bill Mackie first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious yet somehow informative sequel, 10 May 2009
Mr. A. M. Laffey (London) - See all my reviews
Having read Paul Carter's other book Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs: (She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse) I bought this expecting a funny book but lacking the initial punch of the first book. Not to worry though the outragious banter in these books is so fresh and clearly written that it's not only hilarious but also very accessible. Since my old man worked on the rigs as well when I was younger this is an area of life I find pretty interesting but I imagine someone with no connections to the oil industry will find it even more fascinating, a truly great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're read the prequel, you'll probably like this!, 22 Jan 2009
James Allison "usually easily pleased" (Forest Hill, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this on the strength of the superb "Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs...". Who would have thought a story about a guy working on oil rigs would be so funny?

In the sequel there are still some big laughs to be had, but this one is more geared towards Paul Carter the person and his life. Heartwarming and soppy in places, you end of liking the guy even more.

Don't let that put you off though, it's still an excellent read with some more interesting tales, but I'm glad I read the books in the right order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. As good, if not better than "Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs., 31 Dec 2007
Grant Macpherson (China) - See all my reviews
A great sequel to the first book, with some hilarious tales from the oil patch. It's guaranteed to have you laughing and once started its very difficult book to put down, it's addictive! I passed the book over to my wife and she enjoyed it as well and she has little experience of the oil field.
Sadly one of the characters Miguel left the oil field after spending a few days in a Yuzhno Jail for trying to smuggle Soviet medals out of the country... Some of the characters in this book are larger than life. Scary

2.0 out of 5 stars Fact or Fiction ?, 13 Aug 2008
Casing hands have a reputation for embellishing the truth.

They also enjoy macho posturing - hence the side trip to Afghanistan, a country that has nothing to do with the oil industry.

Don't believe every word of it. I work in the oil industry and was able to second guess the outcome of many escapades.

This is Not a Drill: Just Another Glorious Day in the Oilfield