5.0 out of 5 stars Crying with laughter!
As lovers of Greece, we try to find at least one book about the country every time we visit. Last summer we took this book and have never cried so much - with laughter! We have many Greek friends and they will not mind us saying that the eccentricity of the village people is all true, but told with such love, warmth and respect. The Joke is on the author and he is not...
Published on 17 May 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so Captivating
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by Mellowed Heart

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing, a fine eye for detail, and very witty!, 23 April 2007
This review is from: It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina - And Real Greeks (Paperback)
Mole is an excellent writer with a fine eye for detail and a very nice sense of humor. His observations capture the essence of Greek village culture with very funny descriptions of the locals, and particularly their conversations. He keys in on the rampant individuality of the Greeks in a warm-hearted way. He is really good at writing dialogue, athough with the normal problem of trying to convey Greeks speaking broken English and Anglos speaking very broken Greek. But he does manage to pull it off! A light-hearted, funny journey through Greek village life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Side Splitting Read, 13 Jun 2005
What can I say This is one of the best books that I have read in a long time. This book is a must for all Greekophiles, like myself, it combines humour of the highest degree, especially that mad dog, along with a fleeting glance at the life in a village atmosphere, it really is a must to read.
Best wishes
Phil Tittensor

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so Captivating, 5 Jan 2012
I tried reading this book about four times and each time have had to give up as for me it was tedious and missing the 'spark' that makes a good travel book. The account does provide insight into Greek village life, customs and attitudes in an informative way. I love Greece, have Greek friends, and enjoy the culture, however it was difficult to engage with the author and his experiences, and for me finally finishing the book became an act of discipline rather than joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Laughed so Much!!!, 8 Oct 2008
Mrs. S. Taggart (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
I have just read It is ALL Greek To ME and couldn't put it down! It had me laughing out loud and was a thoroughly good read. Mr Mole is a fantastic storyteller allowing us an insight into his and his families joys, mishaps and experiences in Greece. Being a visitor to Greece for many years I can appreciate the errors Mr Mole made with the language! The book is full of heart and soul exploits and with his excellent storytelling way you feel as if you are part of the journey. A well written book and well worth the read, one book I will certainly read again just for the shear joy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, 16 Jun 2011
I am not sure I liked John Mole and I imagine his wife is either incredibly tolerant or they are divorced now! He droned on and on about the beauty and elegance of one of the village women he befriends to such an extent, I started to feel uncomfortable about it... It's fairly well written but pretty predictable stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny but true to life, 8 Nov 2010
This book is so funny and true to life in a Greek village. Makes me yearn to be back there with the friendliest people around.If you love Greece then get this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Title Almost Put Me Off, 21 Aug 2010
When I first heard of the book "it's All Greek to Me" by John Mole, I was put off reading it by the title. I have to say I thought it was the most obvious and hence unimaginative of titles for a book about someone's Greek experience.

Having just finished reading the book I happily throw my hands up and say I was wrong. I found it took a little while to really get into its groove, but once it did I found myself chuckling aloud quite often and, by the time I reached the last few pages, I was not looking forward to having to leave the little village on Evia where this book was set.

I can heartily recommend this book if you're a Grecophile. There may be a little too much history now and again, but I found myself warming to the characters and frequently identifying with the author's frustrations and joys, trials and rewards.

I would humbly suggest that readers of this book may also thoroughly enjoy Feta Compli!, Moussaka to My Ears & Tzatziki For You to Say too.

I placed a review on the book "Blue Skies and Black Olives" by John & Chris Humphrys, but I have to say that, although that was a pleasant enough read, John Mole's book knocks that one into a cocked hat.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light - hearted insight into living in provincial Greece, 10 July 2009
N. Reynolds (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful, humorous book about an Englishman who decides to escape the rat - race and move himself and his family to a village in Greece.

His descriptions of the Greek characters he encounters give the reader a vivid picture of the reality of attempting to live the Greek dream.

Anybody contemplating the move to Greece should read this book, if only to learn about the way to go about dealing with the various people needed to carry out building work, renovations etc.

I was particularly amused by his accounts of the misunderstandings created by his attempts at the Greek language.

Even if you are not planning to move there but enjoy the Greek way of life, it is an excellent, amusing read.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's All Grrek To Me, 6 July 2009

Ample notes to help decide if the book was for me. It was only after I had started reading that I discovered that John Mole was originally from Birmingham.
Amusing tale about an ex 'Brummie' who having worked and lived at various locations around the World decided to buy a run-down property, in a stunning location, to renovate and move his family into.
Something along the lines of yes I know it's a ruin, but look at the view!
Nicely written tale with some very amusing bit's to offset the occasional sad bit. As the saying goes 'Beware Greeks bearing gifts!!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoping to buy a Greek holiday home? Read this:-, 5 Oct 2005
By A Customer
Greek village life through the eyes of a sympathetic foreigner -very realistic, very funny and very evocative of the time. As someone who lived in that area at that time (but who doesn't know Mr. Mole), I give him top marks for an entertaining read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›