5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Being an English woman and having on two occasions uprooted to France for a year, I get so tired of reading all those rose tinted novels about moving to France which talk whimsically about how wonderful it is, how friendly all the locals are, how they all laugh good naturedly at your attempts to speak French, how all...
Published on 18 July 2004 by Ms. A. L. Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreary
Dreary beyond belief. Naive, unsophisticated Australian moves to Paris to be with French boyfriend and then moans a lot.
Published 6 months ago by Iain Cooper

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Cultural division?, 30 July 2013
Perhaps because the author is Australian or perhaps it's just the way she is but I found it hard to empathise with her supposed trials and tribulations on moving to France to be with her boyfriend. I will never get that time back....

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book., 8 Nov. 2013
M. Steinmann "Girl" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almost French: A New Life in Paris (Paperback)
Enjoyed book and it reminded me of my many visits to Paris. Some of the facts she included were interesting and relevant

4.0 out of 5 stars An Aussie viewpoint., 8 Jun. 2015
An interesting but easy read. Will certainly resonate with those who already have experience of Paris and Parisiens.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read if somewhat dated now and great if you haveever wondered about French culture but were ..., 16 Jun. 2015
A lovely read if somewhat dated now and great if you haveever wondered about French culture but were afraid to ask.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have not finished reading it. Perhaps I will ..., 10 Jun. 2015
I have not finished reading it. Perhaps I will go back to it (if it is still there) but I became tired of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost French, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Almost French: A New Life in Paris (Paperback)
It si a good read. The opinions about the Parisians tend to be extended to the French this is a common error!

4.0 out of 5 stars V, 1 Jun. 2015
Very well written. Interesting,informative, and amusimng, I read it in Paris which was great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gentle book which I found very easy to read, 7 Mar. 2009
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Almost French: A New Life in Paris (Paperback)
I was surprised by the very "British" attitudes of the Australian author - even with all the historical background it is still amazing to me that we Brits have more in common with a country on the other side of the world than our closest neighbours.
This book was an interesting insight into Paris for someone who does not know the city at all - heartwarming to follow a newcomer fall in love with a city (which almost seems to come ahead of falling in love with Frederic at times!).
I did get annoyed with the huge generalisation of the Parisian people as Paris, like any other city, is a mixture of different people and cultures all striving to acheive different ends. I do understand though,that the classification of society and their comparisons make the main structure of a book like this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare vision of the English speaker abroad, 24 Jan. 2014
I've read a lot of France based ex pat memoirs in the past few years, and this is among the poorest.

It's unevenly written. The inconsistent use of first person present tense was a challenge from start to finish.

What finally did me in, though, was the writer's smug, shameless transformation into a brand-worshipping couture camp follower.

Towards the end I started to wonder if this was an autobiography at all. It had to be a post-modern parody. Was the writer building a deliberate grotesque, as a contrast to the brand-worshiping consumerist spinsters in "Sex in the City" or the sweet outsider turned high fashion believer in "The Devil Wears Prada"?

I was stunned to discover that not only is Sarah Turnbull a real person, but this allegedly true story became the Australian best seller phenomenon of 2003.

I think we're supposed to see a caterpillar become a butterfly. As the writer sells her soul to the vapid machine of the fashion world I saw something more like Frankenstein.

There are no humans in this story. A writer who seems to have no self awareness crashes like a juggernaut into a culture she can, literally, barely understand and desperately pursues a life in its most superficial niches. The French boyfriend who was the pivot for her arbitrary change of life is barely more than a cartoon shadow. She tries to crow-bar in some standard-issue scenes of bucolic French family life at gatherings with his nearest and dearest, but the family are cartoons one more level removed, so there's no empathy.

The defining, climactic moment is the author's free admission that the moment she feels she's "arrived" as a Parisienne is when she's able to be appallingly rude to someone French in a local shop.

Score one for Team Monster.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 Jun. 2015
Quite enjoyable but rather long winded in some parts. not quite what I had expected.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 | Next ›

Almost French: A New Life in Paris
Almost French: A New Life in Paris by Sarah Turnbull (Paperback - 26 May 2005)