5.0 out of 5 stars The skeleton key that unlocks solutions - an enjoyable read, 24 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Solutions Focus: The SIMPLE Way To Positive Change (Paperback)
This innovative book could be the skeleton key that unlocks the solutions to many of your organisational, team or managerial problems.
The authors effectively challenge the old paradigm of "cause and effect" as the best approach to problem solving, demonstrating instead a "theory of no theory" in which every case is treated on its merits. They draw on their
extensive experience as consultants and trainers in large companies in the UK and abroad, revealing an approach that has clearly proved inspirational to their clients.
In organisations, they argue, no problem happens all the time, so try focussing first on those times when things are going well. Do more of what you have identified that works, and see what happens.
People in organisations constantly rise to challenges, providing evidence of "counters" - gold-dust resources of cooperation, talents and corporate know-how, all of which can be tapped into when needed. Conversely, evidence of resistance to change can be a gift; a message that you have yet to find the best way to cooperate with colleagues.
They don't claim great originality, positioning their solutions approach with its roots in systems thinking, psychotherapy, patient care and family therapy. They have, however, drawn from their sources a simple model, creating a 'How To' book with enough flesh on the bones for you or me to use in teams or coaching scenarios. The reader is shown how to define solutions in ways to help move forward directly; spot helpful events and resources; and avoid major pitfalls on route.
The Solutions Focus is a big idea about small steps that maximise success: it's simple without being simplistic. Five of the fourteen chapters develop the model and draw on all manner of experts, notably Milton Erickson and
Peter Senge to reinforce the messages. The authors also illustrate the power of the model with real examples from organisations as well as everyday issues such as pub licensing hours, parents and schools, food and the weather.
Further chapters show how to apply the approach to coaching, team and organisation settings, and finally the authors share how they developed the ideas in the book.
I found this an enjoyable read, which is undoubtedly a serious contribution
to people and change in organisations. It offers a way to influence those in control - even those who sometimes see their position as a reward for past effort and the future as a holding operation rather than a regular revolution. In my view, it is a must for optimists, intuitives, and the up-and-coming who thirst for success at work and in life generally. It will equip them for the challenge of providing stimulating uplift to bosses and others whose feet may appear to be stuck in problematic mud. By Stuart Farrer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 16 May 2004
More than 15 years ago, I picked up a copy of Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher and William Ury and was immediately excited by their ideas and the thought of applying these concepts in the field.
I felt the same attraction and enthusiasm while reading The Solutions Focus last month. The logic and ethics of the approach are refreshing and, unfortunately all too rare in the corporate world where I do most of my work. It makes so much sense to identify and work with what works. Also, I greatly admire the fact that an essential foundation of the approach is based on respect for the human being as a knowledgeable individual, who is capable of making intelligent changes, rather than a cog in a system to be manipulated and disdained for not embracing inherently irrational changes which are forced upon him.
Not only do I welcome working with this kind of positive energy but, I see time and time again that it actually does work. The kind of dialogue that SF fosters is constructive, rewarding and democratic.
In my work as an independent consultant in management, negotiation, creativity and intercultural issues, I have tapped somewhat similar methods of interaction. SF creates a wonderful coherent whole which I'm excited about applying..

5.0 out of 5 stars SF: I'm a believer, 19 Feb 2002
Coert Visser "solutionfocusedchange.com" (Driebergen Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This great book presents a breakthrough approach to managing organisational change: the solutions focus. Briefly put, it works like this: first define your goals and then move directly toward them by focusing on finding out what works and doing more of that. If something does not work, stop doing it and try something else. (Notice: analysing problems is not part of this approach!) "Doing what works" sounds simple and it indeed is simple. Yet to practise it, you do need quite some skills and discipline. It can be especially hard to resist the temptation to go back to analysing problems.
This book is written in a very pleasant style. It is both practical and profound. It presents the principles of working solution focused very clearly and simply, yet it also goes into some backgrounds in a brief and to the point manner. The book provides helpful tools and interesting and very recognizable cases.
About 1 years ago I coincidently heard about the success of the solution-focused approach in the field of psychotherapy (see for instance: 'Tales of Solutions by Insoo Kim Berg and Yvonne Dolan and 'Interviewing for Solutions' by Berg & De Jong). Ever since then, I have been trying to find ways apply the approach in my work as a management coach and consultant. Now, after 1 years, I have experienced that it is a highly positive, pragmatic and effective approach which is highly applicable in the world of business. I am very pleased with this book. For me it is a great help in applying SF in organisations. I'll bet: if you read this book, you will start applying at least parts of what you have read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Down to earth and practical, if a little repetitive., 17 April 2002
By A Customer
The authors give a good introduction to the application of solution focused therapy thinking in consultancy work, tying together a group of useful tools with a user friendly model. They make a convincing case for the approach they recommend (though in my case they were preaching to the converted anyway), and provide a handy tour of some of the key source material.
Some grumbles though. The exhortations to focus on 'solution talk' rather than 'problem talk' become a bit wearing after a while. There is also an irritating tendency to toss discussion of individual tools or background theory into the middle of chapters on unrelated aspects of the model, or follow them with examples that are not entirely to the point. And although the authors acknowledge the common ground with Appreciative Inquiry (Ai), they rather airily give the impression that Ai is unduly concerned with 'changing the world', when in fact the common principles behind the two models are apparent throughout much of the book.
But to conclude in 'solution mode', I like the accent on solution-orientated consultancy that builds on the existing culture of a group or organisation rather than overtly attempting to change it. Overall this is a highly readable addition to the growing body of work in this field.

4.0 out of 5 stars We're all different and we all make our own success, 26 Jan 2004
Mary McNeil (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This book arrived at just the right time for me. I was questioning my way forward on a reasonably grand scale and allowing myself a bit of a wallow in the rather stagnant it'll-never-work pond. When the book told me that it already IS working and that the answers are all already there, just waiting for me to detect them, I embarked on a hunt. And sure enough... there's hope, things might just work and I feel a whole lot better. Instead of chewing over and over what's not working, my focus is now firmly fixed on finding those sparks of hope and developing them into a roaring fire of success.
But enough of metaphorical ponds and fires. This text is a powerful reminder that we are all different and we all make our own success (or not). Where we put our attention is where we get results. So if we focus always on our problems, we get really good at having problems. But if we focus on the solutions, well... it's obvious now I've read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solutions for Organisations, 2 May 2006
Amazon Customer (Derby, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
An excellent introduction to becoming solution focused within an organisational context. Attractive format, easy to follow text, and a lively sense of humour make this book a pleasure to read. Lots of methods and techniques can be implemented straight away, requiring a minimum of theoretical understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lor, 16 Jun 2012
I bought this book re a course I have recently attended . Very informative but possibly aimed at management my tutor suggested . An interting way of reframing in ones life never the less

The Solutions Focus: The SIMPLE Way To Positive Change
The Solutions Focus: The SIMPLE Way To Positive Change by Mark McKergow (Paperback - 7 Feb 2002)
Used & New from: 12.51