Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

VINE VOICEon 5 January 2003
This book completes Peter Senge's trilogy on learning organizations. After The fifth discipline and The fifth discipline fieldbook comes The dance of change: The Challenges of Sustaining Momentum in a Learning Organisation.
The first book lays the theoretical foundation, and introduces the five disciplines which Peter Senge believes are the key to creating learning organizations. They are personal mastery, systems thinking, shared vision, team learning and mental models. The second book contains practical tips on how to implement each of the five disciplines. By now we're already past the 1000-page mark.
The dance of change brings the tally up another 550 pages, and deals with the challenges that all change initiatives in organizations meet. The link between change and learning permeates the book. You can't turn an organization into a learning organization without changing. Conversely, any strategic change in a company, that doesn't contain learning in some form is probably doomed. So change is learning and learning is change.
I won't go into any details about the books contents (there are just too many), but the book contains a huge number of eye openers (for me at least).
The book outlines three dynamics that promote change - and ten dynamics that hinder it, (see - the odds are stacked against change from the beginning). Each of these is described thoroughly, with plenty of exercises, tips and case stories (I just love a good case story).
Reading the book will give you a much better understanding of why so many change initiatives fail (70% fail according to some statistics). And more importantly, there are plenty of tips to make sure that your next strategy will succeed.
As usual from Peter Senge the book is well written, extremely well structured, and fairly easy to read. I cannot recommend this book enough, and learn much more about change.
on 19 August 1999
I have scan-read this book only, having ordered it from Amazon on approval. I am a trainer and personal coach in management, leadership and personal development. I require two types of books a) those which further develop my knowledge and skills to teach others. b) those which I may pass to my "students" to read for their own learning.
Bearing all the above in mind, I have this to say about the book.
It is suitable for business leaders responsible for conceiving and implementing change. It is quite "heavy" and therefore not for the faint-hearted. It is less suitable for those having policy changes imposed on them from "above" in the organisation. It is not suitable for those needing to learn leadership skills in an organisation which is largely conventional and static,unless they are being called upon to make it less traditional!
The "crown" system is difficult. For those needing to implement change I would classify it as a five star. For "maintenance" leaders the text is less relevant.
on 8 December 1999
Of the FIFTH DISCIPLINE SERIES books, THE DANCE OF CHANGE is by far the most important. THE FIFTH DISCIPLINE and THE FIFTH DISCIPLINE FIELDBOOK are wonderful, valuable books, but they largely avoid the tough question of how to sustain a Learning Organization initiative. Based on lots of experiences in different companies, THE DANCE OF CHANGE is the most realistic, thorough, thoughtful work on achieving large-scale organizational change that has ever been my pleasure to read. I immediately found it helpful in overcoming some of my bad habits (including falling in love with my own jargon rather than using common English). Like THE FIFTH DISCIPLINE FIELDBOOK, THE DANCE OF CHANGE allows you to focus on the areas where you need help the most. The beginning is a wonderful systems-dynamic analysis of how successful change occurs, and how it can be derailed. Even if you do not want to have a Learning Organization, you will find THE DANCE OF CHANGE very valuable for giving you direction on how to achieve permanent, valuable changes. On the subject of achieving the strategy you wish to implement, I strongly urge you to also read THE BALANCED SCORECARD. These books are good complements to each other.
on 18 November 2013
Really good to dip in and out of, I'm currently doing my MA in leadership and found this invaluable when writing my assignments, well worth buying
on 26 March 2016
Recommended by my MD - a good resource if studying management or HR. Would recommend to others - author has an easy to read style of writing.
on 22 February 2015