5.0 out of 5 stars ADDED IMPLICATIONS FOR YOU FROM THE 80/20 PRINCIPLE
I have always found the 80/20 principle to be a valuable starting point in finding ways to improve performance. What I liked about this book was that it drew out more of the implications of that principle than I had previously thought about. If you are not familiar with the principle, this will be a good introduction. If you are familiar, you should probably stick to...
Published on 19 Aug 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars de ja vu
This book is very good, and in depth, but im sure 80% of the words in this book are saying 20% of the information. IT is so repetitive it is untrue. I'd read about 30 pages and ive already heard the same thing 4 times! I'll keep reading but it's making my eyes go funny seeing 80/20 written so much.
Published on 13 Nov 2010 by lorddan01

1.0 out of 5 stars 80/20 also applies to this book - just about, 18 Feb 2009
The 80/20 principle is very useful in this extremely busy century. and the author does a good job in both introducing its origins and some of its current applications.
However, much of the book is then simply a rehash of these kernels. I ended up scanning the remaining chapters and found little to justify spending time on it in detail. The language used was also very dry and lacking in any real inspiration or colour - it was more technical and very boring at times. I was also disappointed at the lack of examples for the principle.
Overall, it was a timely reminder but it could have been written in a quarter of the pages used, with fresher and more colourful text.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 27 Feb 2009
I can truly say that this book has thoroughly changed my view on life. I am trying to stop being just busy but no focus on the essential few important tasks. A lot of the feedback I've read is that this book is repetitive, I'd like to call it comprehensive. In my opinion it give the clearest explanation on the 80/20 principle and how to apply this in every facet of your life. I cannot recommend this book enough. PS; let me know your thoughts on this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction and application of the 80/20 principle, 30 May 2011
M. Ahmed "Mubbisher Ahmed" (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good book for anyone who has previously not encountered the 80/20 principle. Packed with plenty of examples to get the uninitated started. A good book but perhaps better 'skimmed' by those who know about this principle/rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 July 2010
There are some additional reflections in this ten year update of the business classic, but nothing earth shattering, and I thought the part IV of the book from the original version was quite interesting in its own respect, trying to reflect on some of the political consequences of 80/20 thinking. Something that would make Koch's approach significantly more useful, I think, is to combine it with the philosophy of Luke Rinehart's "Dice Man" (1971), designing all decisions in life to be random, but to design the event space according to 80/20 principles. As is particularaly clear in this updated version of the book, although 20% of the actions lead to 80% of the results, sometimes we have to use some of the remaining 80% actions as what may be the perfect 80/20 solution for games only played once may not be so for repetitive games.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesing idea but constantly repeated, 2 Dec 2013
I picked this up on the daily kindle special. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it. The book states how you can use the principal to any part of your life. Parts of the book will not be applicable to you if you do a job that is difficult to do as a freelancer, so parts like contract out everything apart from your core business will not be relevant.

The author comes out with some quite amazing claims, Ronald Regan and Warren Buffet have never worked hard for their success and some of the world's most famous political leaders, Churchill, Kennedy, Thatcher could have been actors are just some of the many examples.

More than 80 per cent of the value of this book can be found in 20 per cent or fewer of its pages, and absorbed in less than 20 per cent of the time most people would take to read it through. Thus re-confirming the 80/20 Principle.

The book is over 300 pages but could easily be around 100.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 80/20 Principle, 9 Mar 2013
P. Penn-Low (Kinross, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Endorses what one thinks, i.e. that very little of what we all do really maztters! The trick is to firmly establish that 20% of one's effort which will count towards something worthwhile or rewarding.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stating the bleedin' obvious, 8 Nov 2012
Don't expect to be amazed or enlightened by this book, it seems to be a litany of the self evident

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant thinking !, 30 Jan 2000
Franco Arda (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
All you need for the 80/20 thinking! Beware, you must be willing to take a complete new approach to topics like success or time-management. Koch's principles are light years ahead from todays time-management. I'm an MBA student, and the book gives me tools to make study life much easier...

4.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention to what is really going on!, 8 Jun 2007
Mary McNeil (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Richard Koch explains that most of the good consequences in life flow from an astonishingly small proportion of all our efforts. All of the rest of our efforts - contrary to our expectations of fairness - are producing remarkably few results. In other words, 20% of our efforts are producing 80% of the good results.

If we start to pay attention to what is really going on, then we can cut out the effortsome low value projects, and allow the rest to flourish with no additional work. Although the book focuses more on the business application, this can, of course, be applied to all areas of life.

I found it readable and distinctly thought-provoking. Putting it into practice feels like it requires a degree of daring, particularly for those who believe that the good things in life have to be worked hard for. I'll own up to being one of them, but I'm working hard to get over that particular belief!

3.0 out of 5 stars 80% value in 20% wordcount, 23 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Undoubtedly some useful insights and thought framing ideas, but so much tedious repetition.

The 80/20 Principle: The Secret of Achieving More with Less
The 80/20 Principle: The Secret of Achieving More with Less by Richard Koch (Hardcover - 6 May 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01