5.0 out of 5 stars If You Liked The Fifth Discipline, You'll Love This Book
Published on 8 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Senge-tastic
I used this to revamp the training organisation of a heritage railway; convincing volunteers is hard at the best of times if its strange and new method, but, this book certainly helps as it highlights the strategies available to you.
Published 12 months ago by Hercules Aviator

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Liked The Fifth Discipline, You'll Love This Book, 8 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies for Building a Learning Organization (Paperback)
I had read The Fifth Discipline, and liked the book very much. I knew about the Fieldbook, but found its bulk to be intimidating. Then, Goren Carstedt gave me a copy, and asked me to read it. Although the book invites the reader to skip around, I am a front to back reader. I decided to read it while walking on the treadmill daily. My exercise regimen started to improve because I enjoyed reading this book in 45 minute segments so much. You should probably do the same. Also, if you can skip around, that is better. What I found is that there is a helpful exercise or two for implementing every key idea in The Fifth Discipline. This added much more meaning to that book for me, and also helped me identify and solve some problems that I had been thinking about. I strongly urge you to get this book, read it, and read it again. Be sure to do the exercises that intrigue you, because they will help you to a much better understanding of your business. If you just want help with systems thinking, there is a section of about a 100 pages that you could read in a few hours that would help you very much to expand upon that part of The Fifth Discipline. Definitely read this book AFTER reading The Fifth Discipline.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Would Ever Want to Develop Your Management, 8 Dec 2005
If you ever wanted a book that contains almost everything you would ever want to develop your management skills, this is it. As a business coach, I have found it remarkably thorough and recommend it to my clients often.
This is a different iteration of the original book 'The Fifth Discipline', (both are by Peter Senge) - itself a breakthough book.
The work Senge created in the Fieldbook version is practical and do-able, with the focus on individual exercises in as wide a range of management applications as you could need. I think it's a leap ahead of the original for that reason.
That being said, there are some more up to date areas that have evolved, such as, for example, Succession Planning, but with the vast array of components in this book, many of these will be covered off anyway.
For anyone who wants both a dip-in workbook as well as a groundbreaking comprehensive manual, this book must be in your library, it will serve you well for the whole of your management career.
By the way, if you buy it on here (Amazon), don't be put off by the number of pages. If you buy it (after trying to pick it up!) in a bookshop, don't be put off by it's weight!
If you take it a 'module' at a time, you will find it remarkably readable and fun - but I wouldn't attempt to read the whole thing in one go - just take your time.
Enjoy meandering around it, it's a truly fascinating read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Provides many tools and applications for Systems Thinking, 27 Mar 1999
By A Customer
Based upon the thoughts in Senge's The Fifth Discipline, which is a far harder slog, this book provides refreshing examples and tools to help understand a systemic view to tackling management problems. The focus is on the Learning Organisation, but the tools discussed can be used in any systemic management situation (are their any that are not systemic ?). Good clear writing, excellent value for money. Refreshing book design means that it can be read and then easily referenced later. Would have given this 5 stars except that I work in one of the companies mentioned and the example referenced didn't exactly work out as suggested.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Liked The Fifth Discipline, You'll Love This Book, 30 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
If you just want help with systems thinking, there is a section of about a 100 pages that you could read in a few hours that would help you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A second dose of inspiration, 20 Dec 2005
Layla Halabi (Dubai - UAE) - See all my reviews
Senge's second serving of the Learning Organization is filled with practical tips and real-life examples from companies and organizations that have embraced the teachings of the Learning Organization successfully.
The Book is a collaboration of several writers who do a superb job of unraveling the web that is the learning organization. At times, it may seem to the reader that the book is a labyrinth of disjointed concepts and ideas. However, if you have read `The Fifth Discipline' you will find no problems following the concepts introduced. In fact, you will even understand why the writers have chosen to introduce them in that fashion. If you have not read "The Fifth Discipline', do not despair, it will take a little longer to get `the whole picture'.
The Book is divided into 8 main sections:
1) Getting Started addresses the basic concepts and ideas of the Learning Organization.
2) Systems Thinking (the fifth discipline) - Many people have argued that Senge should have delegated the fifth discipline until the end, however, without Systems Thinking, your vision is disjointed and incomplete.
3) Personal Mastery covers the area of individual development and learning. The chapters here are among the most valuable in the area of self-growth and self-improvement.
4) Mental Models - These are the pictures that you have in your head which represent reality.
5) Shared Vision - You've seen the whole picture, you've developed and you understand how you see the world. Now you need to find a common cause with the rest of the people in your organization, something that you all work for.
6) Team Learning - As you work with other people in teams or groups, you need to pass the stuff that you have learnt and the wisdom you've acquired to others. At this stage, the learning is no longer that of the individual, but the group.
7) Arenas of Practice - (Self explanatory)
8) Frontiers - Where do we go from here.
If you are interested in development, learning, growth, leadership, gaining a competitive edge whether at an organizational or personal level, then this book is for you. In fact, I'd venture to say that this is book is for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Management Guide, 20 April 2003
M. P. Haworth (Gloucester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In this, the 'field' book Peter Senge pretty well covers all the needs of the modern (and not-yet-so modern!) manager. It is really well laid out too, with each chapter (in the 600+ pages!) a sort of 'module' in itself. For a reference book, with practical usage for almost anyone in a managerial role, this is the book to get. In my own top 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars A need to know hands on guide to learned organisations, 20 April 2001
By A Customer
I first read this book to get a feel for how learning teams and learned organisations is build. The book contains so many examples of how other people have build their organisations, around the world, that you are bound to find examples that applies to you. This is a must read if you are stuck and cant get anywhere with your organisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only got to choose one, add this to your toolkit of Techniques, Ideas and Inspiration, 3 May 2009
If I could have only one shelf on which to put the most useful and interesting books for me to keep for all time, this would be one of the first I'd select.

When it hits your hand, you might think, "I'll never get through that", or "How am I going to find what I need quickly?"

Clear, concise, easy to understand. However expert you might be in your own field, this book will provide a refreshing way to energise all of your talents to excel with new insights and vigor.

I found as I read started dipping into it that is organised in a way which lets you focus on what you need to get done. At the time, I was in a hurry.. I needed something on team performance. I opened the book and like magic, it was there, right in front of me.

I find now that I can just let it open to a random page and find something to inspire me to keep refining my thoughts and thereby my actions.

By all means, read cover to cover, and post-it note the pages which inspire you most so you can share. Keep it handy...

I have two copies in case I find someone who wants to read it urgently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless transaction, 30 April 2014
All went as well as it could go with this order. No delay, book arrived in condition as described and I have no reason for complaint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of advice, 25 April 2014
The book reads like a series of mini case studies rather than a traditional chapter based book. This means you can dip into any area you want in any order. It's a bit like a pick and mix, take the bits that you fancy at the time but the rest are still there for another day

The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies for Building a Learning Organization