5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for any film fan
Published on 22 Aug 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars What's Eating Johnny Depp? Who Cares?
Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Johnny Depp. I have seen most of his films and, coming late to an appreciation of the fact that he's a great actor and not just a pretty face, I sought to learn more about the man, where he was coming from and what motivates him.
Now I can continue by saying that this book did absolutely nothing to satisfy my curiosity...
Published on 29 Oct 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars What's Eating Johnny Depp? Who Cares?, 29 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: What's Eating Johnny Depp? (Paperback)
Badly written and extraordinarily badly edited, I can honestly say it rates among the worst books I have ever read. There's little to recommend it as it attempts to follow a chronological history of the actor's life, but fails miserably to either live up to the promise, or give even a glimmer of understanding to the question it poses: 'what is eating Johnny Depp?'
I knew more about the actor and his body of work before I started reading the book than I did by the time I'd finished reading it. If I'd wanted an anti-tabloid/fan version of his life, I'd have simply scoured a couple of fan web-sites. I was hoping for a slightly more balanced and analytical assessment, and was sorely disappointed.
I donated my copy of the book to a charity shop where, perhaps, someone without internet access will read something they can't otherwise find out more about. I gave a 5 donation to the shop and asked them to promise they wouldn't ask more than 25p for the book.
Now I feel the book might serve some purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for any film fan, 22 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: What's Eating Johnny Depp? (Paperback)
As a big fan of Johnny Depp and an admirer of his work, I was deeply impressed with this book and how it deals with all the aspects of the actor's life in a sensitive way. It gives details of all of the films that Johnny Depp has starred in, even the various cameo roles, and it is kept well up to date. I was also very pleased with the photograph sections featured in the book. This book is invaluable to anyone researching Johnny Depp or simply large fans of the actor, but also an enjoyable read for anyone merely interested in this actor who makes cinema what it is today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great man, and a great read..., 20 Nov 2004
This review is from: What's Eating Johnny Depp? (Paperback)
Having been hooked on Johnny Depp since Edward Scissor Hands, i decided to buy this book as a sort of birthday present to myself. It really shows you everything you want to know about the man who has done a very good job at keeping his personal life somewhat private. The book does an excellent job at giving you an insight into how Johnny has lived his life and where he has lived it. It takes you from the beginning to the end in very good detail, but there's still an air of mystery over the man once the read is finished, which is s good thing, obviously, becuase it shows Johnny depp still has that great loving factor that shows us he doesn't want to live everyday in fromt of the camera, and subject his family to that life, for a bit of extra money.
The book's a great read and should definately be bourght by any Johnny Depp fan, however long you have admired the man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Aug 2004
This review is from: What's Eating Johnny Depp? (Paperback)
This book is a very up-to-date and thorough. It includes Johnny Depp's filmography and isn't gossip magazine type writing. It is very well written and is recommended for true Johnny Depp fans who want to read about his life. It shows how he doesn't choose acting parts to earn a quick buck and be the top of the movie charts and winning oscars (he has only ever been nominated once for Pirates Of The Caribbean), he chooses them only if he believes he can be truely interested and want to portray the character brilliantly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and clinically written., 21 Oct 2005
This review is from: What's Eating Johnny Depp? (Paperback)
This book was alright, if you are interested in a catalogue of Johnny Depp's films, instead of any insight into the person making them. The book is detailed about the making of the films, the technical issues in each film, the actors involved, etc etc, but when speaking about the man himself, almost always quotes another reviewer or source. What else can you say about a biography that finishes with a quote from an earlier biography? This book does little to engage a personal interest, as it focuses almost entirely on Depp's work. In fact, it is so career focused, anti-press, and pro-Johnny Depp, that one gets the impression that this biography was sponsored by Depp's publicity people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 17 May 2006
This review is from: What's Eating Johnny Depp? (Paperback)
I haven't finished this book but thought I'd review it anyway. I really can't get into it. It's not what I expected at all. I picked it up in my local book store thinking by judging the title, that it would be a more indepth look into Johnny Depp...not a list of his films and the making of with the odd relationship thrown in. I instantly wasn't particularly pleased with the book even by the first chapter...which is about Pirates Of The Caribbean. I can't be bothered with it in all honesty, but am going to persevere and read until the end, simply to see if I can prove myself wrong. But if you want the honest truth, and I know this sounds harsh; I don't see how this author has won awards.

5.0 out of 5 stars what eating johnny depp, 27 Dec 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: What's Eating Johnny Depp? (Paperback)
It was good photos of the actor and his life story and the price is very good value.I would tell people I know to buy just for that reason.

ARRAY(0xbccd3da4)

What's Eating Johnny Depp?
What's Eating Johnny Depp? by Nigel Goodall (Paperback - 13 Mar 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01