on 25 December 2007
Essential for GP Registrars and probably for established GPs too. I am a GP with a special interest in dermatology and I still use this book regularly. I usually have to go find it, as it is the one book that is borrowed most frequently from my consulting room book-shelf.

The text narrative is pithy and pertinent and written in a style that is also easy for patients to understand. I will often allow patients to read the narrative around their diagnosis as it often reinforces important messages in management.
on 29 January 2007
I've waited a long time for this text to come out in paperback. I got to love and rely on it whilst training in General Practice: my training practice had a (very expensive) hard-backed copy. Nothing else comes close to it for diagnostic assistance. It should be THE Dermatology text in every practice library. Don't forget it's sister book: "Treatment in Dermatology" by the same authors.
VINE VOICEon 15 February 2008
This is a very useful book to help diagnosis in dermatological conditions.

Starting from how the lessions look like and where they are the book will make diagnosis easy , there are numerous colour pictures of "florid " conditions and useful diagrams.

The book has an odd shape and does not fit very well in a bookcase , is more wide than long ( twice as much ) and does not have much in terms of treatment of conditions , so is only helpful in diagnosing.

The price of the book makes it less available and affordable for students than other textbooks.
on 7 December 2009
I used this when it was 2 volumes - diagnosis in one and treatment in the other. They were in a durable cloth binding. I was very excited when the new edition combining both in the one volume arrived but mine's been so heavily used its falling apart.Apart from the BNF this is the most widely used book in my room!
on 17 June 2010
Differential Diagnosis in DermatologyAs a GP with an interest in minor surgery and skin conditions, this book as found a permanent place on my shelf. Well organised, brilliant photos... this is a great addition for any personal medical library
on 10 August 2010
This book is an excellent primary care textbook that should be on every consulting room book shelf.
I purchased it only recently, but already my GP's know it is available in my office and
are coming to borrow it.

My recent students also found it very informative and easy to use.

Thoroughly recommended
on 2 January 2010
Although i only received the book recently I have already been using it and what little I have seen of it impressed me immensely.

Lots of pics (as expected), fantastic layout with lots of diagnostic flowcharts, and good explanations.

Highly recommended, especially for a GP trainee, like me.
on 15 November 2015
This is an excellent book. I used it for my MRCP revision and found it was pitched at the perfect level. Concise and easy to read. I haven't come across a dermatology book or website that is as informative or has such good images.
on 27 January 2013
A good synopsis with useful background information on treatment in dermatology. Not as useful for looking up specific topics. More of use as a read through guide to be used in diagnosis as the title explains.
on 22 January 2013
Bought this for my GP french daughter in law together with its companion volume on treatment She is very pleased with both and there is nothing equivalent in France. My UK GP daughter in law uses it as did her GP father. I believe it is excellent.